The Race for the 2020 POTUS elections

skatingguy

Golden Team
Ratings
Just some baseless political and skating speculation. Michelle posted on IG that she was working in the Midwest this past week and then visited a friend in Minnesota. Warren is in Iowa and is getting an election team and political consultants locked down. May not be related but I’m always for strong, confident women.:glamor:
Anyone know where Amy Klobuchar is this weekend?

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Ratings
Anyone know where Amy Klobuchar is this weekend?
Not to fan the flames of totally unfounded rumor :lol: but the candidate Michelle worked for in the 2018 election, Katie Porter, is a protégé of Elizabeth Warren. :saint:

In the meantime for those who are anxious to see the candidates, before most have even thrown their hats in the ring :lol: the first candidate forum will be held in June. :shuffle:

The DNC is announcing 12 presidential primary debates over the course of the 2020 cycle. Six debates will be held in 2019, and another six in 2020. The first two debates will occur in June and July of 2019, and the final debate is scheduled for April of 2020.
Tom Perez in USA Today.

I hate candidate forums and think they are the worst way to judge candidates. :drama: Although I have to admit there were some good ones between Hillary and Bernie last time around.

skatingguy

Golden Team
Ratings
Not to fan the flames of totally unfounded rumor :lol: but the candidate Michelle worked for in the 2018 election, Katie Porter, is a protégé of Elizabeth Warren. :saint:
But if Kwan was visiting a 'friend' in Minnesota this weekend that might point to the states senior senator who is also a prospective Presidential candidate.

ballettmaus

Ratings
Moved it over :)

The author was saying?!
Former Vice President Joe Biden is nearing a decision about a 2020 White House bid and telling allies he doesn’t think other potential Democratic candidates can defeat President Donald Trump, the New York Times reported Sunday.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...cision-on-2020-white-house-bid-new-york-times

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Ratings
This paragraph from the NY Times article on Biden stood out to me:

But he would also make the case that his 36 years in the Senate and eight years as vice president make him the best qualified to repair the damage they believe Mr. Trump has done at home and abroad.

“This is a guy who actually gets along with Mitch McConnell and a number of other Republicans,” said Mr. Carper, invoking the Senate majority leader with whom Mr. Biden worked closely to negotiate a handful of agreements in the Obama years.
Biden is without question backward looking. He implicitly promises to take us back to 2008 and replay the whole tape. Only thing is when you replay a tape, nothing changes.

We can't go back to Biden's days. There's no time machine.

Granted if he does win the nomination, he can win a chunk of voters who wouldn't vote for a woman in 2016. So if he isn't too much of the self-described gaffe-machine we've seen in the past he can probably beat Trump.

He has the deepest and strongest understanding of international affairs of anyone who might run, so to me that would be the silver lining if he becomes the nominee.

Last edited:

rfisher

Looking for the next avatar
Ratings
I haven't a clue who I will support in the primaries at this point, but if Biden were to get the nomination, I'd most certainly vote for him.

There has been nothing in the local news about Ojeda since he declared his intention to run.

clairecloutier

Ratings
So opposed to a Biden nomination. I’d prefer just about any other candidate. His belief that he’s the only one who can beat Trump just strikes me as very entitled somehow. As to his Senate experience, I’m not looking for someone who will “get along” with McConnell. What I want is someone who can stand up to McConnell and Republicans and call them out for what they are.

If Biden were the nominee, I’d vote for him but reluctantly. *More* reluctantly than when I voted for Hilary. I don’t want a status quo replay of the cautious Obama years. I want progressive action.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Ratings
So opposed to a Biden nomination. I’d prefer just about any other candidate. His belief that he’s the only one who can beat Trump just strikes me as very entitled somehow. As to his Senate experience, I’m not looking for someone who will “get along” with McConnell. What I want is someone who can stand up to McConnell and Republicans and call them out for what they are.

If Biden were the nominee, I’d vote for him but reluctantly. *More* reluctantly than when I voted for Hilary. I don’t want a status quo replay of the cautious Obama years. I want progressive action.
I agree with you on all this, except if he gets the nomination I will strongly support Biden against Trump.

My guess right now is that the major funders and the Dem party establishment is working out who it will support. Who gets in will depend on who the funders and establisment players signal they will back. If they tell Biden behind the scenes they believe a new face is needed then he may back off running. My guess is though they'll see him as a strong candidate.

Warren of course is already in. Because she is not courting those forces and they are going to be interested in backing someone who can stop her. If Bernie gets in, then he chips off support from Warren which helps the establishment unless the establishment splits and backs more than one candidate.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Ratings
Can someone explain this? From the Guardian "Former congressman John Delaney has bulked up his presidential campaign in Iowa.

The Des Moines Register now reports he has 24 staffers in the Hawkeye State alone, including veterans of Bernie Sanders’s 2016 campaign and Barack Obama’s 2008 campaign."

I have no idea who he is except that he's been running for president for a while. :confused:

caseyedwards

Banned Member
Ratings
Can someone explain this? From the Guardian "Former congressman John Delaney has bulked up his presidential campaign in Iowa.

The Des Moines Register now reports he has 24 staffers in the Hawkeye State alone, including veterans of Bernie Sanders’s 2016 campaign and Barack Obama’s 2008 campaign."

I have no idea who he is except that he's been running for president for a while. :confused:
What’s the issue? It’s called quixotic. Nothing wrong with that! He wants to spend his money or people want to give money to him that’s fine.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C
Ratings
If Warren is the nominee, I will vote for her, very reluctantly. I don’t want more of Bernie Sanders (and he may run too). Against Trump though, I will vote for Kingkong if he was the democratic nominee.

BittyBug

And the band played on
Ratings
I think we should contemplate the possibility that Trump may not be the Republican nominee. And that will be a very different and unpredictable landscape.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Ratings
I think we should contemplate the possibility that Trump may not be the Republican nominee. And that will be a very different and unpredictable landscape.
This is exactly what Jennifer Rubin wrote about today in regards to Biden's candidacy. He's putting himself forward as able to beat Trump but what if the Republican is not Trump? She points out that Warren isn't running just against Trump but has a comprehensive message.

ballettmaus

Ratings
Between South Carolina considering not to hold primaries and a member of the RNC urging the RNC to change their rules so that Trump can run unchallenged, I'm expecting a rule change or no Republican primaries (in the majority of states) to happen rather than Trump not becoming the nominee.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
Ratings
Wow. I do not ever remember that happening (cancelling primaries), but I do not follow the Republican primaries that closely. Has this ever happened before?

jeffisjeff

Ratings
I caught part of a Kamala Harris interview on NPR this morning. She is a gifted speaker, with the ability to sound very natural and conversational while still choosing her words carefully. It is a skill that Clinton lacked but Obama possessed.

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
Ratings
Between South Carolina considering not to hold primaries and a member of the RNC urging the RNC to change their rules so that Trump can run unchallenged, I'm expecting a rule change or no Republican primaries (in the majority of states) to happen rather than Trump not becoming the nominee.
But this assumes he wants to run again. I am hoping he will get some kind of big win near the end of his term -- like getting to appoint another SCOTUS -- and then bow out on a high note. Then he gets to "win" but doesn't have to do all the crap stuff that a President has to do.

ballettmaus

Ratings
But this assumes he wants to run again. I am hoping he will get some kind of big win near the end of his term -- like getting to appoint another SCOTUS -- and then bow out on a high note. Then he gets to "win" but doesn't have to do all the crap stuff that a President has to do.
I agree with skatesindreams. Trump may be annoyed the "crap stuff" as you put it :) but he also lives in his own reality (and he isn't doing much of it anyway). And he likes the power and he likes his adoring fan base.
If it were about bowing out, he could have bowed out after Kavanaugh - he had two SCOTUS appointments and the tax "cuts".

BittyBug

And the band played on
Ratings
I am hoping he will get some kind of big win near the end of his term -- like getting to appoint another SCOTUS -- and then bow out on a high note. Then he gets to "win" but doesn't have to do all the crap stuff that a President has to do.
You'd like him to be able to appoint another Leonard Leo-approved SCOTUS? :eek: That's one of my nightmares. :yikes:

And why should he get to bow out on a high note when he has been dragging us deeper into the gutter?

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
Ratings
If it were about bowing out, he could have bowed out after Kavanaugh - he had two SCOTUS appointments and the tax "cuts".
Bowing out before his term is over would be quitting and losing. Choosing not to run again can be spun to be a victory.

ETA (Just saw BittyBug's post): I don't WANT him to do anything but have a heart attack while he's sleeping, preferably tonight. I'm predicting the future, not creating a wish list. I guess the word "hope" was misleading. I am hoping he won't run again and one way that would be very likely to happen is something happens in his final year that he can spin as "my work here is done"

clairecloutier

Ratings
Here's a Washington Post editorial about the age of some Democrats contemplating a WH run:

How Old Is Too Old to Be President?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...cfd62dbb0a8_story.html?utm_term=.7f67a9e56ff5

If Biden were to run & win for 2020, he would be 78 at the time he took office as President. 82 at the end of his first term. Would a second term even be possible--or advisable?? :confused:

If Sanders were to run & win, he would be 79 at the time he took office.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Ratings
Politico has a piece saying O'Rourke is leaning to running but if you read the piece it is more about people perplexed that he isn't doing anything to lay the ground work for a run and worrying that he is missing the moment.

‘Not a whole lot of red lights’: Beto O’Rourke leaning toward 2020 run (Politico)

“It sounds like he’s seeing green and yellow lights, and not a whole lot of red lights,” said Boyd Brown, a former South Carolina lawmaker and former Democratic National Committee member who is national senior adviser to a “Draft Beto” campaign.

In his own exchange of text messages with O’Rourke, Brown said, “His response was very noncommittal … It was just ‘Thanks — a lot of decisions to be made, a lot of discussions to be had.’”

Meanwhile, Julian Castro is on the verge of announcing this weekend:

Castro disavows PAC money ahead of potential 2020 run (NBC)

Former Housing and Urban Development Secretary Julián Castro leaned in to a progressive pitch to voters here Monday night, saying he would push for universal healthcare, a Green New Deal, and disavow PAC money if he entered the 2020 race for president.

The policy prescriptions are all part of his unofficial pitch for president. Castro has not officially announced his candidacy, but repeatedly teased his upcoming Saturday announcement where he says he'll share more about his future plans.
Maybe O'Rourke is not the Texan to beat in this race?

ETA: while meanwhile, Liz is racing ahead of all those who are still contemplating:

The New Hampshire Democratic Party has just announced that Elizabeth Warren will be the keynote speaker at the party’s major fundraising dinner in February. The speech marks Warren’s first announced trip to Granite State since forming an exploratory committee for a presidential bid on New Year’s Eve. Warren travelled to Iowa last weekend.
Quote from the Guardian

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Ratings
Here's a Washington Post editorial about the age of some Democrats contemplating a WH run:

How Old Is Too Old to Be President?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...cfd62dbb0a8_story.html?utm_term=.7f67a9e56ff5

If Biden were to run & win for 2020, he would be 78 at the time he took office as President. 82 at the end of his first term. Would a second term even be possible--or advisable?? :confused:

If Sanders were to run & win, he would be 79 at the time he took office.
I think this article makes some good points, but how old is too old? Was Hillary too old? Is Warren too old? I don't think so but then its hard to put a definitive age on there.

I think its true that older people can often be too stuck in thinking in terms of how things happened in the past but that isn't always true. And as far as advisers rather than presidents, that can be useful at times.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 7, Guests: 7)