The Race for the 2020 POTUS elections

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
also, how ON EARTH did Biden stay in politics this long without understanding opposition research and their use of “trackers”? :confused:
say what?

I have to admit with Biden, not to in anyway equate him with Trump, but he keeps on keeping on even though he seems like a doofus to a lot of us, and says things that seem like they'd knock him down, and that does kind of remind me of Trump in the primaries.

Maybe we all just don't get his appeal but he's somehow got deep loyalty?

attyfan

IMO, Biden is benefitting from the impeachment hearings ... after all, Trump feels so threatened by him -- not by Sanders, Warren or Buttgieg -- that he is willing to throw US policy under a bus in the hope of taking him out.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
I must have missed this but apparently Joe Biden's campaign slogan is "No malarky"??

You can't make this shit up.
Excuse me?

I like the slogan “No malarkey”. Why would someone try to make fun of it?

I read in a recent column that one of Kamala’s issues is her staff thought they could discern trends through Twitter. Or TikTok. Or whatever.
Instead of talking to those of us in swing counties and in swing states who may actually vote;)

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Things like this is why I wish the electoral college did not exist.
Jogged my memory that I wanted to post this comment from E.J. Dionne:

What does a crisis for U.S. democracy look like? A Trump popular-vote defeat of 5 million votes or more combined with a two-vote margin in the electoral college. Yes, he could eke out this narrow advantage even if he lost Michigan and Pennsylvania as long as he held on to all the other places he carried the last time. A large U.S. majority could be disempowered and yet still face pressure to declare such an outcome “legitimate.”

Peaches LaTour

I don’t like Abrams. She is too selfish. She could have helped the Democratic Party by running for Senator. She is counting on being a VP pick by Biden. That’s arrogance and I despise that. She is counting on a quick entry into the potus office .

I would rather see one of the candidates (including those who dropped out) as VP of whoever the Democratic nominee will be. They showed courage in running for the office. They put in their work, while Abrams is sitting on her hands, waiting to get the presidency on the platter if Biden wins the nomination.

I don’t think anyone else will even consider her. If Biden runs with Abrams as his VP, he will lose the election. If the Dems want a black fema
le, pick Michelle Obama. She is widely respected. I doubt that she will agree though. Besides, Biden is doing well with black voters. He doesn’t need Abrams to bring him those votes. He needs someone from a swing state (not named Georgia). Anyway, he may not win the nomination, so this could be a moot point.
Michelle Obama has repeatedly said she is not interested in running for office.

skateboy

I have to admit with Biden, not to in anyway equate him with Trump, but he keeps on keeping on even though he seems like a doofus to a lot of us, and says things that seem like they'd knock him down, and that does kind of remind me of Trump in the primaries.

Maybe we all just don't get his appeal but he's somehow got deep loyalty?
I think Biden is basically a good man. For me, I just feel like he would not be a particularly strong commander-in-chief.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Here's a column that says a lot of good things with regard to Biden and addressing climate change and the situation of farmers. If you read it, it acknowledges that the other candidates also do this but it gets at something I actually am not that worried about with Biden despite his centrism: that he gets that climate change must be addressed now.

How Biden is using the climate crisis to appeal to rural voters (The Guardian)

“Global warming can be turned into a gigantic opportunity,” Biden said as [Former Agriculture Secretary] Vilsack nodded. “We are on the verge of providing significant job opportunities in rural America.”

Biden and Vilsack cooked up a speech that in large part was about re-investing in rural places with solar arrays, wind turbines, small food processors and local farm markets to provide jobs paying double the current rural work rate of $12-16 per hour.

Vilsack shook his head when asked if rural decline and more consolidation around chemicals are simple destiny, and if all this talk is just that given all the decades of neglect.

Biden, the talker, chimed in.

“We can do anything if we put our mind to it,” Biden said.

ballettmaus

Three state lawmakers had their op-eds on health insurance edited by lobbyists without disclosure. https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/12/02/state-lawmakers-acknowledge-lobbyists-helped-craft-their-op-eds-attacking-medicare-for-all/

Lobbyists either helped draft or made extensive revisions to opinion columns published by three state lawmakers in a way that suggested Medicare-for-all and other government involvement in health care posed dangers, according to emails obtained by The Washington Post.

The emails show how, even at the state and local levels, lobbyists are trying to bend public opinion away from an idea that has seized much of the debate during the current Democratic presidential primary. Two candidates, Sens. Elizabeth Warren (Mass.) and Bernie Sanders (Vt.), have proposed a massive redesign of the health-care system that would place all Americans on a single government health insurer.

The emails raise troubling ethical implications about the undisclosed involvement of private interests in lawmakers’ public statements, said Larry Noble, who served as general counsel for the Campaign Legal Center and the Federal Election Commission.

ilovepaydays

Excuse me?

I like the slogan “No malarkey”. Why would someone try to make fun of it?

I read in a recent column that one of Kamala’s issues is her staff thought they could discern trends through Twitter. Or TikTok. Or whatever.
Instead of talking to those of us in swing counties and in swing states who may actually vote;)
Kamala had bigger problems than that. Did people really think that her relationship with Willie Brown wasn’t going to come up eventually?

Michelle Obama has repeatedly said she is not interested in running for office.
Michelle Obama has too much sense to put herself anywhere near this.

I know that. I just don't want Stacy Abrams. The democratic candidate will lose if he/she picks her for VP.
Why do you think a Dem candidate would lose if he/she picks Abrams as VP?
Because a lot of people see Abrams as a whiner. And - I know there’s a double standard with women about this, but it’s there - her looks are an issue. I’m surprised if there wasn’t a Democratic consultant who advised her to lose some weight and fix those teeth.

clairecloutier

Because a lot of people see Abrams as a whiner. And - I know there’s a double standard with women about this, but it’s there - her looks are an issue. I’m surprised if there wasn’t a Democratic consultant who advised her to lose some weight and fix those teeth.
Really? I've never thought about Abrams's looks. Except that I like her haircut.

The idea of her needing to lose weight while we have plump Trump in the White House is pretty :lol:.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Its usually claimed by those who analyze these things that a VP candidate makes little difference to the chances of a nominee. No one who doesn't want Trump is going to say well I'd vote for Biden-Buttigieg-Warren but I don't want Abrams so I won't.

Zemgirl

Its usually claimed by those who analyze these things that a VP candidate makes little difference to the chances of a nominee. No one who doesn't want Trump is going to say well I'd vote for Biden-Buttigieg-Warren but I don't want Abrams so I won't.
The question is whether any potential VP can provide a boost - to borrow from baseball, votes above replacement ;) I don't think Abrams can do that.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
The question is whether any potential VP can provide a boost - to borrow from baseball, votes above replacement ;) I don't think Abrams can do that.
Which voters would you be looking for a VP candidate to provide a boost with?

snoopy

I had to google Stacey Abrams teeth. The gap? That is totally cool. Didn't Madonna purposefully put a gap in between her two front teeth? I think the weight is fine on her too. I think senior stateswoman can get away with it. I think Abrams generally looks more professional than Warren frankly.

I think any African-American or Hispanic candidate on the ticket will be a boost.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Is there any evidence of a VP candidate spurring voters to come out who otherwise wouldn't have?

I'm very doubtful on this.

snoopy

I have no proof but I bet Palin hurt McCain. WRT Abrams, I think it would increase African-American turnout (assuming the presidential candidate is white) though I have no proof of this either.

Zemgirl

Is there any evidence of a VP candidate spurring voters to come out who otherwise wouldn't have?
Let's assume the nominee is Biden, an east coast guy in his late 70s who spent over four decades in Washington and appeals to older voters and especially older Black voters. You might want someone who can complement that and appeal to voters beyond those who already support Biden. I don't think Abrams is someone who can do that.

A VP pick can be a drag on the presidential ticket; Sarah Palin may well have been.

Vagabond

I think the days when the shrewd choice of a Vice-Presidential candidate could provide a boost at the polls are gone, but perhaps not. Perhaps we will now see a period when having a running mate of the opposite sex or a different racial background from the Presidential candidate will help.

I think it's more important that the running mate be sufficiently experienced and capable to take over in the event of the President or Presidential nominee dies, becomes incapacitated, or (ahem) is removed from office.

And yes, Sarah Palin is a good example of an unwise selection that helped drag down the ticket.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Biden is supposed to be the one who appeals to the working class mid-western white voters that Hillary didn't win.

Also Hillary had the same black voter support Biden appears to yet lack of turnout among some black voters was an issue in Michigan and elsewhere.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I think it's more important that the running mate be sufficiently experienced and capable to take over in the event of the President or Presidential nominee dies, becomes incapacitated, or (ahem) is removed from office.
This is what matters to me as a voter, fwiw, but also how well the person will play the role of VP, will their perspective, knowledge and experience help the president in office? Both of these are reasons why I thought Tim Kaine was a good pick for Hillary Clinton, but a lot of people were negative about that.

The parlour game of who will be VP is fun but not very important, IMO.

mrinalini

With Biden, I do think there's a possibility that he might become incapacitated even before he completes his first term, so his choice of running mate will be very important and it's something that voters who are considering him will be taking into account. The recent polls indicate that the ages of Sanders and Biden are of great concern to most, so I'm sure those two will have the soundest of advice when narrowing down who will be their respective VP picks.

As for our dear Ms. Warren, this CNN article provides a more hopeful analysis of her path going forward:

Did anyone see her ad airing on the Bloomberg channel which blasts Bloomberg himself? The woman just won't back down! :ROFLMAO: And I think it's an excellent choice to have Bruce Mann start campaigning for her since she might soon be tied up with the impeachment proceedings and he appears to share her best qualities which will go down well with lots of voters.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Three A's, T&M, P&C
Really? I've never thought about Abrams's looks. Except that I like her haircut.

The idea of her needing to lose weight while we have plump Trump in the White House is pretty :lol:.
Unfortunately men get away with a ton of fat on their bodies, but women cannot. Hillary wrote in her book about how she had to have her hair, make up, suits done perfectly and yet those were discussed in the media ad nauseum. Those are the double standards we have to live with. It could be 50 years before any progress is made.

Changing topic-

Buttigieg irritates me when he compares himself with Obama, or if he ever compares himself with any woman or another race. He is seen as a white male, and his lifestyle is not questioned (not saying it should be). Obama, Hillary were obviously not white males and they faced all the disadvantages of it. If Pete does win the nomination, the republicans will attack his lifestyle but right now he has no disadvantages other than his lack of experience at a high level (my main complaint against him).

This reminds me of my experience on a diversity team at a large corporation. There were many women and one gay man on it. He said he could be fired just for being gay. One woman said they can’t tell he is gay just by looking at him, while the women and blacks start with a disadvantage at first sight.

Back on Abrams-

She will face every possible disadvantage- color, gender, her weight, and it will weaken the democratic nominee. At this time the Dems cannot take any chances. Defeating Trump has to be the only goal. We can be progressive in many ways if a democratic president gets elected in the next two terms. If Biden becomes president, his health could be an issue so the VP choice will be seen as the possible next Potus. It hurt McCain to select Palin as his running mate, for similar reasons. Palin was nowhere as qualified as Abrams but as a pretty white woman she had an advantage over Abrams. Sadly women are judged a lot on their appearance. Trump will make mince meat of Abrams on appearance alone, while he is the ugliest man around.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 10, Guests: 11)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information