The Race for the 2020 POTUS elections

mrinalini

Regretful but completely expected - I really don't know what happened with her; she launched with such fanfare and excitement but gradually faded into such complete and utter blahness.

Meanwhile, Biden is telling it like it is, absolutely malarkey-free, and loudly proclaiming that Warren commands no enthusiasm while Buttigieg stole his health care proposal - that's our candidate, right there! :rolleyes:

mrinalini

Is there no chance for Booker to make the debate at this point?
He's only got nine days left to qualify and has met the donor requirement but not the polling requirement - when one sees him directly appealing for help in an interview, things don't look good.

Booker would be a welcome voice - he's always done well in the debates, IMO.

ETA: Booker has acquired zero qualifying polls thus far and needs at least four 4% or higher or two 6% or higher in the early states.

Last edited:

attyfan

Wow. She was one of those campaigns where I felt like she should have been more appealing but for whatever reason wasn't. Still she will make a good senator for California and if a Democrat wins back the WH in 2020 definitely a good Attorney General.
Good senator, but since one of her major problems was in addressing cases involving police and prosecutorial misconduct while California's Attorney General, she should not be the federal one, IMO

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I'm looking at the two most recent polls to come out, today and yesterday. Bloomberg is polling at 5 and 6 % in them, more than Harris.

I'd say something here, but I don't need to argue right now.

Sparks

This says it all, @BlueRidge

"At @KamalaHarris's lowest moments in the polls, she has outpolled @MikeBloomberg. That she is now out and he's just getting started tells you so much about how money, power, race, and gender work in America."

Zemgirl

The NYT story about Kamala Harris's campaign made it clear that her days as a 2020 candidate were numbered. The comments people made, on and off the record, spoke volumes.

Maybe she can better position herself for a future run through her work in the Senate.

From what I am seeing the next debate will have only white candidates?
Well, maybe Yang will make it. And a potential VP pick doesn't necessarily have to be someone who went through primary season.

It's worth asking why nobody can come close to Joe Biden's numbers among Black voters. Buttigieg catches a lot of flack for his poor performance with this population, but it's not like the others are doing all that well.

Sparks

Watch Julian Castro's thoughts:

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
It's worth asking why nobody can come close to Joe Biden's numbers among Black voters. Buttigieg catches a lot of flack for his poor performance with this population, but it's not like the others are doing all that well.
Joe Biden ran for the 2008 Democratic nomination. I wonder what his black support looked like then?

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
That's very relevant.
If you are being sarcastic, I disagree. Its relevant if you even have to ask the question why Biden has strong black support.

Biden represents the Obama presidency in this race. The Obama presidency was/is incredibly important to many black voters. I think its more a matter of no one else giving them a reason to turn away from Biden as the embodiment of that in this race than that Biden is winning black voters because of anything other than his having been Obama's Vice President.

I think it makes sense especially for the older black voters in the south to give support to Biden because of his major role in the Obama presidency and to need to be won over by others if they can do it.

Zemgirl

Biden represents the Obama presidency in this race. The Obama presidency was/is incredibly important to many black voters. I think its more a matter of no one else giving them a reason to turn away from Biden as the embodiment of that in this race than that Biden is winning black voters.

I think it make sense especially for the older black voters in the south to give support to Biden because of his major role in the Obama presidency and to need to be won over by others if they can do it.
That was my point. There's a lot of criticism of Biden, and why supposedly better candidates are not catching on and having to drop out. But Biden appeals to a lot of voters, and does so for good reason. If other candidates want to knock him off that frontrunner's perch, they need to broaden their appeal.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
That was my point. There's a lot of criticism of Biden, and why supposedly better candidates are not catching on and having to drop out. But Biden appeals to a lot of voters, and does so for good reason. If other candidates want to knock him off that frontrunner's perch, they need to broaden their appeal.
Well I think Biden's getting a bit of a free ride myself. The others have to work much harder because they weren't in a place to be offered the Vice President slot on the ticket with Obama. I don't think its not a valid reason to support Biden but it does give him a really big head start with voters in which he has to actively stumble to lose support whereas others have to work very hard just to get attention.

My point about 2008 is that it isn't that Biden had a long-term relationship with communities of black voters. Barack Obama gave him an advantage so he didn't need to have that.

mrinalini

Well I think Biden's getting a bit of a free ride myself. The others have to work much harder because they weren't in a place to be offered the Vice President slot on the ticket with Obama. I don't think its not a valid reason to support Biden but it does give him a really big head start with voters in which he has to actively stumble to lose support whereas others have to work very hard just to get attention.

My point about 2008 is that it isn't that Biden had a long-term relationship with communities of black voters. Barack Obama gave him an advantage so he didn't need to have that.
I remember him running and in the debates in 2008 - he was like what Martin O'Malley was in 2016 opposite Sanders and Clinton, which frankly to me is bland and inoffensive but not exactly the type to catch fire all around the country.

Biden is where he is now solely because he was fortunate enough that Obama picked him to be VP, and I'll admit it does irritate me that he's getting a "free ride". If I was a candidate going up against Biden on the debate stage, I'd bring this up, "You ran for President twice before and no one was interested. Why should they be interested now?". It'd be interesting to see Biden's response to that question.

oleada

It’s disappointing that Kamala is out and much less experienced candidates like Yang, Buttigieg and Gabbard are all still in. I won’t even get started on Bloomberg and Steyer.

Also, it’s ridiculous that states as white as Iowa and NH get such an outsized say in the primaries. I wish we had a national primary. Or have New York, California, Texas and Florida go first. At least it would feel more representative and it’s a mix of red and blue states.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I recall declaring Biden the worst candidate in the race in 2008 based on his foreign policy but I can't remember why. :shuffle:

I think he does deserve credit for his performance as Vice President and I don't think Obama chose him lightly. So its not that I think he doesn't deserve the support if people agree with his positions and deem him a good fit for the presidency at this point in his life, but where I have a problem is with the idea that others are failing if they don't demonstrate as "broad support."

Almost no one even ran against Hillary, remember. Someone who has been in a huge national role like Biden or Hillary Clinton has a huge advantage. Biden's is less so because of his age and questions raised about that but he still has it.

skateboy

He's only got nine days left to qualify and has met the donor requirement but not the polling requirement - when one sees him directly appealing for help in an interview, things don't look good.

Booker would be a welcome voice - he's always done well in the debates, IMO.

ETA: Booker has acquired zero qualifying polls thus far and needs at least four 4% or higher or two 6% or higher in the early states.
I like Booker but it's time for these debates to be trimmed down to a handful of candidates.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
I still think Ms. Harris has a bright future. She's young enough to learn from a rocky campaign (I hope...). Why not get out of a crowded field in a bizarre year?

With so many dropping out - is there some tax deadline they all need to meet, or...? A few more, and I think we'll have a clearer picture of who can lead America (and voters) forward.Enough of us can see canyons between the candidates, but do enough voters? People are busy, overwhelmed, etc. The more I see Biden subsist at or near the top, the more I'm convinced of this. Where are the supporters going from Harris, misc white suits, etc.?

Meanwhile, I'm pretty disheartened at how Warren continues to be targeted by the wealthy and financial types. She really scares them. The longer she and Bernie split the progressive vote (I know, they're not the same...), the less chance she has.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 15, Guests: 5)