The Race for the 2020 POTUS elections

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C
Ratings
The MSNBC commentators said it first. The race for 2020 has already begun. Trump has announced his candidacy.

Which democrats have the ability to defeat him and save our democracy?

The current front runners are-(percentages - the first two are in the 20s, but I don't remember the exact numbers)

Joe Biden(25?)
Bernie Sanders(20?)
Cory Booker (16)
Elizabeth Warren (16)
Kamala Harris (16)

How does everyone feel about these and others to be added to the list?

I would like to add Beto O. And Andrew Gillum to the list, even though they lost their races yesterday. There could be some more viable candidates.

I am not too high on Warren and Sanders because I don't like their chances of beating Trump.

ETA - I am adding Oprah Winfrey to my list. She is a celebrity like Trump, but with morals.

Another ETA- Adding Michael Bloomberg. He is intelligent, his wealth is self-earned, and he cares about the environment.

Last edited:

oleada

Ratings
I want someone young. No Bernie, please. As much as I like Elizabeth Warren, she’s too divisive. Ideally, a woman.

People who come to mind:

Corey Booker
Kamala Harris
Kirsten Gillibrand
Amy Klobuchar - after her massive win yesterday, but I don’t know much about her

I liked Biden but I don’t want a centrist and he has a lot of gaffes in the past.

Vash01

Ratings
I want someone young. No Bernie, please. As much as I like Elizabeth Warren, she’s too divisive. Ideally, a woman.

People who come to mind:

Corey Booker
Kamala Harris
Kirsten Gillibrand
Amy Klobuchar - after her massive win yesterday, but I don’t know much about her

I liked Biden but I don’t want a centrist and he has a lot of gaffes in the past.
I like Amy K. She frequently gets interviewed on MSNBC. I liked her poise during the Kavanaugh hearings. Not sure if she will be ready by 2020 though (funny because I had similar feelings about Obama in 2007, but that was much closer to the primaries).

I don't think Biden's gaffes will hurt him if you consider who he will be running against.

The republicans had targeted Hillary long before she even announced her candidacy. They attacked her right from start. We have an advantage this time because we already know the GOP nominee very well.

The dems need someone who can go toe to toe with Trump and mobilize the democrats to vote in massive numbers. Like in 2016, the independent voters might be the key to winning the presidency.

Last edited:

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Ratings
I know it's not a popular notion with level-headed people... but I honestly wonder if Democrats need to find their own version of Trump. A non-politician who has their own name recognition. Someone like an Oprah (who isn't Oprah... ) or Mark Cuban.

Democrats are going to need to play by some republican rules to win, anyways.

Vash01

Ratings
I know it's not a popular notion with level-headed people... but I honestly wonder if Democrats need to find their own version of Trump. A non-politician who has their own name recognition. Someone like an Oprah (who isn't Oprah... ) or Mark Cuban.

Democrats are going to need to play by some republican rules to win, anyways.
I agree about 'some republican rules' because I interpret that as Tough. I don't agree that we need another Trump. We don't need to move backward even more. Both Oprah and Mark Cuban are good people who want to unite rather than divide. I think the name recognition may help in the rural areas, particularly Oprah.

I like Bloomberg as an option, and he has recently registered as a democrat, didn't he?

clairecloutier

Ratings
I agree with @oleada. I'd like to see a younger candidate, for a couple of reasons.

1) It's time for the Democrats to turn the page and move forward. No more looking to the past.

2) 2020 is going to be a very hard campaign. It will be a year-and-a-half-long marathon of nonstop travel and appearances and speeches and stress. It would be a hard job for anyone, but especially for someone of retirement age. I just think a younger person would be best able to handle the job (and the office).

That kind of rules out the following: Biden, Holder, Warren, Sanders, Bloomberg, all of whom are close to 70 or older, or closely identified with a previous Dem administration.

I especially do NOT want to see Biden as the nominee. The progressive wing of the party will not get behind him. He is too old and centrist and yesterday's news. We need a fresher face.

Beyond that, I have no preference at this point but will just wait until the debates/speeches begin, then listen and learn more about the candidates.

skategal

Bunny slave
Ratings
I love Booker and Harris but I do think O'Rorke would be a really interesting choice as well, especially considering how close he came to defeating Cruz in Texas.

myhoneyhoney

Ratings
How about newly elected California Governor Gavin Newsom? Is he too polarizing because he authorized gay marriages in San Francisco?

Vash01

Ratings
What about Chris Murphy (CT)? I like him a lot.

I see one advantage in nominating a young person to run against Trump. I hate doing this to any other old person, but Trump's declining mental health needs to be used against him. This is to protect the country and not to ridicule older people.

skatingguy

Golden Team
Ratings
I love Booker and Harris but I do think O'Rorke would be a really interesting choice as well, especially considering how close he came to defeating Cruz in Texas.
I'm not sure about O'Rorke as a Presidential candidate, but he will be under serious consideration for a VP slot. If the Democrats can make Texas competitive, and make the Republicans spend resources to defending it, could help win the Presidency. It will be a fascinating race for the Democrats, and I wonder whether anyone will challenge the President for the Republican nomination.

ballettmaus

Ratings
I want someone young. No Bernie, please.
Biden isn't really a spring chicken either. :shuffle:

Neither do I but she impressed me during the Kavanaugh hearing and she managed to win rural and urban areas in Minnesota. Even if she isn't running, Democrats need to take a very close look at how she campaigned!

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Ratings
I don't know if I really want Beto as the presidential candidate in 2020 because I think it might be a bit soon, but that's not going to stop me from trying to change my "Beto for Texas" buttons into "Beto 2020" ones. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

oleada

Ratings

Neither do I but she impressed me during the Kavanaugh hearing and she managed to win rural and urban areas in Minnesota. Even if she isn't running, Democrats need to take a very close look at how she campaigned!
I don’t want Biden to be the candidate either 🤷🏻‍♀️

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
Ratings
How about newly elected California Governor Gavin Newsom? Is he too polarizing because he authorized gay marriages in San Francisco?
The problem with Newsom is that he's been running for President pretty much since he got into politics. I want someone who is about the country, not about himself.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Ratings
My quick pick is the Amy Klobucher/Sherrod Brown ticket because it would have two qualified candidates who are also very relatable.

- POTUS leans moderate/VP leans progressive
- retains Midwest's Blue Wall (MI/WI/PA) along with other Midwestern states
- women voters/union voters/blue collar voters
- urban/rural voters
- generates excitement with nomination for a woman, building on progress in this area made during mid-terms

Last edited:

skateboy

Ratings
I want someone young, too.

2020 is not the year for the Dems to go with a woman presidential candidate. (I am REALLY sorry to say this, because it does not reflect my personal feelings. But it's too soon after what happened with Hillary/Trump.)

ballettmaus

Ratings
I want someone young, too.

2020 is not the year for the Dems to go with a woman presidential candidate. (I am REALLY sorry to say this, because it does not reflect my personal feelings. But it's too soon after what happened with Hillary/Trump.)
I was of the same opinion but look at how well women did. Maybe it is the time after all.

skateboy

Ratings
I was of the same opinion but look at how well women did. Maybe it is the time after all.
I would hope so. But we've had women in the house and senate for awhile now, never a president. I think it would be very risky for a woman candidate to take on Trump for 2020, but I would love to be wrong there!

Vash01

Ratings
Americans don't seem to mind women in other high positions but they were clearly resistant to a woman president in 2016, even though she was The most qualified nominee in years. If it was against any other Potus, I won't have any hesitation in nominating a woman, but Trump has set us back by decades, so it may be a big risk.

ballettmaus

Ratings
I would hope so. But we've had women in the house and senate for awhile now, never a president. I think it would be very risky for a woman candidate to take on Trump for 2020, but I would love to be wrong there!
Americans don't seem to mind women in other high positions but they were clearly resistant to a woman president in 2016, even though she was The most qualified nominee in years. If it was against any other Potus, I won't have any hesitation in nominating a woman, but Trump has set us back by decades, so it may be a big risk.
I guess, I forgot that Republicans have to vote, too. :(

Japanfan

Ratings
I want someone young. No Bernie, please.
I find Bernie to be rather a stuff-shirt. He's supposed to be progressive, but he usually mentions women as if they are an afterthought (he'll make statements like this: "protect the interests of refugees, the poor, the marginalized, and . . .women).

As much as I like Elizabeth Warren, she’s too divisive. Ideally a woman.
I agree. I love Elizabeth Warren, but don't think she could become POTUS in the current political climate. Maybe in 20 years time.

Also agree that a female candidate would be preferable. It's just about time, close to 100 years after (some) women got the vote.

I find Biden intelligent. But, I agree that a younger POTUS would be preferable.

Rogue

Sexy Superhero
Ratings
My fantasy is that Trump/Pence will both have to step down around the end of January and we'll have a Democratic president beginning in February 2019. :)

ballettmaus

Ratings
Looks like Sanders would be a bad choice :shuffle:

But for Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) the explanation was simple. The candidates who underperformed weren’t progressive enough; those who didn’t shy away from progressivism were undone, in part, by “racist” attacks.

“I think you know there are a lot of white folks out there who are not necessarily racist who felt uncomfortable for the first time in their lives about whether or not they wanted to vote for an African-American,”
https://www.thedailybeast.com/berni...-voting-for-black-candidates?via=twitter_page

If you don't vote for someone because of the color of their skin, what is it, if it's not racist? And if it is racist, why is that person then not racist?

snoopy

Ratings
This is my exact pick too. We’re both in Ohio though so that may influence our opinions.

My quick pick is the Amy Klobucher/Sherrod Brown ticket because it would have two qualified candidates who are also very relatable.

- POTUS leans moderate/VP leans progressive
- retains Midwest's Blue Wall (MI/WI/PA) along with other Midwestern states
- women voters/union voters/blue collar voters
- urban/rural voters
- generates excitement with nomination for a woman, building on progress in this area made during mid-terms

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Ratings
It would be a problem for us to actually vote for that ticket here because if Sherrod Brown steps down, DeWine would get to appoint someone for the balance of his term (4 years). Brown is our only lifeline to DC right now until they do the new redistricting.

Domshabfan

A proud P/C fan
Ratings
I was hoping there would be at least a week break before the talk of next election, amazing endurance you guys have to tolerate election ads and campaigns.

Last edited:

Vash01

Ratings
I was hoping there would be at least a week break before the talk of next election, amazing endurance you guys have to tolerate election ads and campaigns.
Trump announced his candidacy the night of the mid term elections. So the race is on.
Next morning he fired Jeff Sesions. We cant afford to wait for a week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)