The Medical Thread: Vaccine Search / Staying Healthy / Treatments Etc

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I had mine in my dominant arm, because most people advised that the more you use the arm, the less worse it will be. Also, a friend reminded me to keep my arm as relaxed as possible. Which made me aware of how easy and instinctive it was to tense it.

skategal

Bunny mama
The nurse told me to relax my arm completely. I got it in my non-dominant arm because I like to sleep on the side of my dominant arm.

gkelly

I did it in my dominant arm because I need to sleep on the opposite side because of hip issues.

mocha-ice

My parents got their second shot today!! :cheer: They got their first in March but Canada is doing 16 weeks, so it was scheduled for June 29, although we have just started pushing up the second dose. But their friend called to say they were able to walk-in to the centre and get their second shot so my parents rushed over and they got their shot!!
My second is currently schedule for September 1st - I can move it starting next Friday.

Lara

It's JJ style!
My parents got their second shot today!! :cheer: They got their first in March but Canada is doing 16 weeks, so it was scheduled for June 29, although we have just started pushing up the second dose. But their friend called to say they were able to walk-in to the centre and get their second shot so my parents rushed over and they got their shot!!
My second is currently schedule for September 1st - I can move it starting next Friday.

Yay!!! AZ or Pfizer? (Not sure they’re allowing walk-ins for the later.)

Dave of the North

For two shot vaccines, don't you get the first one in one arm and the second in the other?

NB has announced that starting next week, anyone that had a first shot in April (e.g. me) can schedule a second shot whenever they want.

They've also said that anyone who had Astra-Zeneca can have Pfizer or Moderna as their second shot.

Meanwhile I got an email today from our pharmacy saying our second shot will be the same date as originally scheduled (July 31) and the same type as the first one, per the guidance from the NB Dept of Health...

:huh:

"One of these things is not like the other..."

canbelto

Serious question here: isn't the dropping cases proof that vaccines work? Yet the MAGAs are all saying that the dropping cases means lockdowns and indoor gathering restrictions didn't work. :wall:

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
Serious question here: isn't the dropping cases proof that vaccines work? Yet the MAGAs are all saying that the dropping cases means lockdowns and indoor gathering restrictions didn't work. :wall:
The vaccine is doing its job. Also the number of deaths and hospitalizations are falling as well.

MAGA can’t find its own ass with two hands and a flashlight…..

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Curious about what countries are currently using the Janssen vaccine (Canada, US and countries in Europe)?

They are giving it to young women here and I just don't understand their decision. I don't understand why they don't just go the males with their Janssen supply and let the females get pfizer. Not trying to be alarmist just a bit of anxiety that they are trying to finish up the groups here born 1975 to 2005 and depending on where you are in the lottery determines which vaccine you will get. I was fairly confident my daughter would be getting Pfizer but now I am bit anxious lol.

skategal

Bunny mama
Curious about what countries are currently using the Janssen vaccine (Canada, US and countries in Europe)?

They are giving it to young women here and I just don't understand their decision. I don't understand why they don't just go the males with their Janssen supply and let the females get pfizer. Not trying to be alarmist just a bit of anxiety that they are trying to finish up the groups here born 1975 to 2005 and depending on where you are in the lottery determines which vaccine you will get. I was fairly confident my daughter would be getting Pfizer but now I am bit anxious lol.
It’s been approved for use in Canada but not being used. The shipment we got was from the factory in Baltimore that messed up the AZ vaccines so the govt is saying that they want to ensure the supply is safe before administering it and it will take “several weeks” to do so.

In other words, they don’t want to use it and are not motivated to push the review faster to use it. :lol:

ballettmaus

In addition to what others said - which I agree with - vaccine rates are low in MAGA country. According to an article in the WaPo from a week or two ago, infections rates are still around January level for the unvaccinated population. That's both proof that vaccines work and also, why some you-know-who voters may say vaccines don't work (because they don't read these articles and I'm not sure Fox News reports such things). (Others are just a lost cause).

Japanfan

I did it in my dominant arm because I need to sleep on the opposite side because of hip issues.
I may be facing a similar challenge when I get my hip replacement in about my year. I fear that I might turn to sleep on the wrong side while I'm asleep. What happens then?

My sister says she managed to sleep on her back for three months after her surgeries, she has had both hips done. I don't think I could do that.

She says it's no longer necessary to sleep with a pillow between your legs after surgery, as it has been.

Insomnia is one of my big fears in life. I had it terribly when I was young, and there were times when it really messed me up. I was kind of a basket case at work on occasion.

Karen-W

Can everyone here stop slamming the vaccine hesitant people? Yes, vaccination rates are lower in areas that are considered "MAGA territory" but, frankly, after a good 8-10 months of the MSM media and political left screaming about Operation Warp Speed and "how can we trust that the manufacturers and FDA aren't just going to deliver some unsafe, untested vaccine before the election to ensure Trump wins?", there is bound to be a fair degree of skepticism, cynicism and resentment over why the MSM and political left's sudden (after the election was won by Biden) about face with regard to the safety and testing of the vaccine. It is not only warranted but fair, and continuing to disparage people for questioning just why they should listen to the MSM and political left now when a year ago there was much hand-wringing and fear-mongering and "we cannot trust the administration!!!!" hysteria being thrown around for what appears to be nothing more than political gain. None of you are helping convince anyone who is vaccine hesitant (or flat out unwilling right now) who might be reading this thread to think any differently. It's condescending, elitist and lacking any sort of nuance.

Beyond that, there are a lot of people who believe they've already had the crud (and they might be right about that, or not, I guess we'll see) because they got back to normal as best they could and didn't stay hunkered down in their homes for the past 14 months out of mortal fear of the disease. It will take more time and confidence that the vaccine really is safe, really is effective, and really is a triumph for both the Trump and Biden administrations (like it or not - Warp Speed did make a huge difference and the continued efforts to ramp up vaccine production and access during the last few months have been tremendous). If people could just see that instead of picking a side and being jerks to the other then, maybe, just maybe, we can raise the level of trust that EVERYONE has in our government, regardless of which party wins any particular election.

Last edited:

Miezekatze

In Germany J&J and Astra is officially only recommended by the vaccination authorities for over 60 year olds, but everybody can still get it on their own wish. I have the impression J&J is rather popular with younger people right now, because it's easier to get than Pfizer and Moderna and you need only one shot to get the fully vaccinated status needed for easier travelling, going to restaurants, ...so I've read of several young women in German forums (ok younger meaning 30 to 50, not necessarily even younger) who have decided to get J&J.

FWIW I haven't heard of any surge of problems in regards to serious side effects. J&J has delivered 1.7 million doses to Germany so far, I think most of it(about 90%) has been used already.

Maybe the rare side effect is a bit less common than in AstraZeneca or the doctors and patients have just become better in detecting it early or it really rather occurs in people who have existing risk factors for thrombosis in general (I think those are usually recommended by their doctor to not get the vector vaccines, so I don't think many such people decide for it anyway).

Ok, I googled for statistics of the serious side effect.

The last safety report is from June 2nd in regards to the serious side effect:
  • AstraZeneca (about 9 million doses administered until the point of time of the report): 102 cases of the side effect, 17 deaths
  • J&J (560 000 doses administered until the point of time of the report): 0 cases of the side effect

So it will be interesting to see if the number of J&J increases when the number of vaccinations rises. But when you look at AstraZeneca the occurence seems to be 1 in 90.000, so if it was similarily common in J&J then there should already some cases start to show up.

Last edited:

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
In Germany J&J and Astra is officially only recommended by the vaccination authorities for over 60 year olds, but everybody can still get it on their own wish. I have the impression J&J is rather popular with younger people right now, because it's easier to get than Pfizer and Moderna and you need only one shot to get the fully vaccinated status needed for easier travelling, going to restaurants, ...so I've read of several young women in German forums (ok younger meaning 30 to 50, not necessarily even younger) who have decided to get J&J.

FWIW I haven't heard of any surge of problems in regards to serious side effects. J&J has delivered 1.7 million doses to Germany so far, I think most of it(about 90%) has been used already.

Maybe the rare side effect is a bit less common than in AstraZeneca or the doctors and patients have just become better in detecting it early or it really rather occurs in people who have existing risk factors for thrombosis in general (I think those are usually recommended by their doctor to not get the vector vaccines, so I don't think many such people decide for it anyway).

Ok, I googled for statistics of the serious side effect.

The last safety report is from June 2nd in regards to the serious side effect:
  • AstraZeneca (about 9 million doses administered until the point of time of the report): 102 cases of the side effect, 17 deaths
  • J&J (560 000 doses administered until the point of time of the report): 0 cases of the side effect

So it will be interesting to see if the number of J&J increases when the number of vaccinations rises. But when you look at AstraZeneca the occurence seems to be 1 in 90.000, so if it was similarily common in J&J then there should already some cases start to show up.
Do you know where Europes supply of Janssen is produced?

Dave of the North

I'm getting shot # 2 next Friday; Mrs Dave is getting hers on the 27th. I'm getting one of the "expired" AZ doses. Mrs Dave is getting a non-expired one - she wouldn't consider getting an expired one.

Starting next week in NB, they will reduce the gap between first and second shots to 4 weeks. Son # 2 was holding off on getting the shot because he didn't think the long interval between shots was a good idea, we'll see what he says now...

JasperBoy

Stayin inside
I took my 18 yr old grandson for his first vaccination yesterday. I asked about any spare vaccine for myself but was told No. So I will be patient for one more week when I have an appointment. Meanwhile I anticipate that grandson will take full advantage of his condition to spend the day in bed.

Judy

The last I read is that we have the the J&J vaccine but it’s on hold until they get clearance from the U.S. that it is safe because of the potential contamination possibility that J&J ran into. I think we have had it for a while (Canada).

SkateSand

Cat Servant
So we have one more week in California before the CV restrictions are lifted for the state. My lovely MAGA county is still in the red tier. I'm guessing the county will abide by Newsom's June 15th lifting mandate, but it would be funny, ha-ha, if the county decided to keep us under the red tier regulations, which we so richly deserve. But with all the rabid militia types threatening county officials, I'm guessing that's not going to happen.

JasperBoy

Stayin inside
I took my 18 yr old grandson for his first vaccination yesterday. I asked about any spare vaccine for myself but was told No. So I will be patient for one more week when I have an appointment. Meanwhile I anticipate that grandson will take full advantage of his condition to spend the day in bed.
Day Three, 11 AM and he is still asleep. He isn't ill, just lazy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information