The Medical Thread: Vaccine Search / Staying Healthy / Treatments Etc

acraven

I don't know anything about the age distribution of the J & J vaccine recipients in the US. I hope the CDC can get than information if it doesn't roll up automatically. I believe some jurisdictions targeted used at least part of their J & J allotments for hard-to-reach segments of the population, including the homeless. Others have used J & J for students.

Dave of the North

I suppose there are several ways to look at this but I have to applaud the chief of the Long Plain First Nation in Portage la Prairie, Manitoba. According to Manitoba protocol, the age criteria for vaccination is 20 years younger for first nation people. Their infection rates are considerably higher, especially for those living on reserves. The Long Plain First Nation received a large number of the moderna vaccine to administer to their people from their health office. As their vaccination clinic drew to a close, they had a number of vaccines not used. Their instruction was to destroy them. Their chief made the rather bold decision to put out a call to the local schools and open it up those teaching and working with children. He was rebuked but made a public statement stating he would do it again and felt it was better to put the shots in the arms of people waiting rather than to destroy it. They have two more vaccination clinics planned and he says he will make any extra vaccines they may have available to firefighters, R.C.M.P. and those who work in the trades.

Absolutely the right thing to do! They should fire the process-obsessed bureaucrats that made that stupid order.

I find the idea of destroying vaccine doses to be absolutely horrifying!

An article about breakthrough infections. It seems like there are a lot fewer of them than I expected based on the efficacy rates:

and the "scariants" don't seem to be bad as expected either.

"Investigators generally lack comprehensive data matching specific breakthrough infections with specific strains of the *****. Although variants are taking hold in greater numbers across the country, there is no evidence that those variants are a primary driver of breakthrough infections."

sk8pics

I was messaging with a friend who's been out of touch for awhile. She is always a bit cautious about medical decisions, and she told me she has a mammogram scheduled "some time this summer" so she is going to wait "awhile" before being vaccinated. I am hoping I misunderstood her and she is getting her mammogram early in the summer, which would then make some sense to delay getting vaccinated to be certain there won't be any issues in the mammogram. It's very odd, because she was very scared and concerned about the ***** and made sure to get her parents and an elderly aunt and uncle vaccinated, but now she seems unconcerned about herself. Well, I hope she will be okay.

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
Lady Figureskates continues to feel like her old self again. She continues with her medications and we will see what happens after the second shot to see what happens if we gradually reduce them.

she is all excited about going to Mohegan Sun a week from Monday and I haven’t seen her this enthused about anything since last June.....🐸🐸🎰🎰🎰🎰🎰💵💵

once_upon

They showed stacks of signed consents by parents whose under 19 (Ne is stupid, 19 is legal age) who got vaccinated yesterday. Probably 1/3 of doses given at that mass vaccination site yesterday.

I want EUA for the 12-16 age group now. And actually I want the 5-12 age group who are under study right now, before September so kids are able to go back to school.

Hedwig

WoolSilk Fanatic
this would be great news indeed:

Study from the Lancet
Early administration of inhaled budesonide reduced the likelihood of needing urgent medical care and reduced time to recovery after early *********-19.

In the trial this reduced the need for hospitalisation (if used early enough) by 90%!

One of our more serious health experts called it a "game changer"

Miezekatze

That article seems to completely ignore the fact that Israel vaccinated everybody with a vaccine with about 95% efficency (that also is by now known to reduce ***** spread significantly) while Chile mass used one with about 50% efficency. Thats a pretty pointless and unfair comparison.

puglover

The whole dilemma of vaccine hesitancy is really hitting home to us. Our youngest daughter lives in S/E B.C. in a small town where everyone is employed either directly or indirectly by the coal industry. Her husband's family own a big steel company that does all of the steel work for the mines. Our daughter has gone from being basically non-political and uninterested in public affairs to a raving Trump supporter and buying all he and his disciples profess, including the wildest conspiracy theories. They are especially militant about the ********* and anti vaccination. She is totally brainwashed by her husband and his family and will not listen to even reasonable arguments from us or her siblings - 3 of whom live in the US and have lost loved one to the disease. "There is no way she or any of his family will be vaccinated", she informed me last week. Her husband, only 30 years old, was just diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma on Friday. As serious as a cancer diagnosis is, his is apparently very treatable with a very high success rate. However, it will likely mean chemo and radiation. All we can do is hope that if advised by those treating him that his immune system would benefit from those around him being vaccinated, that they will listen. It will take a huge about face for them to do that.

Last edited:

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
Another interesting side affect from the shot was in my case. For the last 9 months I have had little energy and bouts of the blahs which started when we both got the thing back in June. I have done more in the last three days than I have done in the last three months. I am talking big projects involving extensive carpentry work. I worked 6 hours Friday, 7 hours yesterday and 5 hours today and finished projects which I have been putting off due to lack of energy.

I am not complaining!

canbelto

Some good news: one of my most stubbornly anti-vax friends is getting the J&J shot tomorrow. The reason: her son is getting married in Mexico and she wants to travel without "worry."

She's black, btw. She said another reason is her parents got it and nothing happened to them.

ballettmaus

I'm not sure how many AstraZeneca doses Germany has administered, but we've only been delivered 5.5 million overall and some are still held back for 2nd shot, so I'd guess it's definitely less than 5.4 million.
A couple of days ago I read a DW article that said Germany administered 2.7 million AZ vaccines and had 31 blood clot cases. The article also mentioned that 19 of those 31 cases had blood anomalies as well.

A Washington Post article that I read on the same day stated that according to Johns Hopkins, there are about 5 people who get this particular blood clot per million people a year. At that time, Europe had 4.6 people per million people vaccinated who've had this blood clot, in three months. That was at a time when Germany still had reported 31 blood clots.

Both AZ and J&J are vector vaccines. I wonder if there's a connection between the kind of vaccine and the increased risk of blood clots.

Orm Irian

Both AZ and J&J are vector vaccines. I wonder if there's a connection between the kind of vaccine and the increased risk of blood clots.
It has been theorised that it might be an issue with vector vaccines as a whole rather than with the AstraZeneca vaccine alone, and it's being looked into, but so far no conclusive results.

skateboy

Our daughter has gone from being basically non-political and uninterested in public affairs to a raving Trump supporter and buying all he and his disciples profess, including the wildest conspiracy theories. They are especially militant about the ********* and anti vaccination.
Just curious: has your daughter had any opinion on Trump himself having been vaccinated?

puglover

Just curious: has your daughter had any opinion on Trump himself having been vaccinated?
If she has, she certainly hasn't shared it with us. I am not sure that consistency of thought plays a part here. It has taken great restraint on the part of my other children not to call them out on it. As one who would be quite vulnerable and unlikely to survive should I become infected, I just can't take it personally although some of their attitudes hurt.

Vagabond

Researchers from the University of Edinburgh compared all recorded deaths from [you-know-what] in the continental US from January to April 2020 with UV levels for 2,474 US counties for the same time period....

The study found that people living in areas with the highest level of exposure to UVA rays - which makes up 95 per cent of the sun’s UV light - had a lower risk of dying from [you-know-what] compared with those with lower levels. The analysis was repeated in England and Italy with the same results.
☀️

MacMadame

Staying at home
My county has expanded vaccines to 16 and up. The trick is to find appointments.

I'm getting crosseyed trying to get them for my kids.
Did you use my article? :D

If you live in Alameda County, then definitely try Haller. They are open on the weekends and they give out a LOT of shots.

manhn

The BC Govt announced today that 40+ can register next Monday. Now, everyone can register already, and registration does not mean you can book an appointment (you will receive an email that will allow you entry to book). I registered a couple weeks ago. But there is anecdotal evidence to suggest that once those registration notifications were mentioned, people in those age ranges got an email a few days later to book an appointment. That was the case for my mom. But that would be extremely fast. We are presently at 66+ to book an appointment. Anyways, let's see.

tony

I definitely have the metallic taste in my mouth from the Pfizer dose. Especially noticeable with toothpaste and sweets.

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member
Here it has been decided that from now on AstraZeneca is only to be given to those over 60...

sk8nlizard

My county has expanded vaccines to 16 and up. The trick is to find appointments.

I'm getting crosseyed trying to get them for my kids.
If you would like to make a trip to Texas, I got FB notifications that my county and the county next to me have cleared their waiting lists and you could get a same day or next day appt. not sure that bodes well for vaxxing I’m Texas if the numbers that the vaccine trackers are posting are accurate at all!

Judy

Although I am choosing not to get the AZ vaccine which I am eligible for in Ontario, I am in stage 2 and I am under “risk” category so will be eligible between end of April/mid June. My family is so so 🙏🙏🙏 thankful my oldest autistic sister is getting the vaccine Wed. It’s been a tough year dealing with her
That article seems to completely ignore the fact that Israel vaccinated everybody with a vaccine with about 95% efficency (that also is by now known to reduce ***** spread significantly) while Chile mass used one with about 50% efficency. Thats a pretty pointless and unfair comparison.
Well I do agree that once you’re vaccinated there still has to be controls. Obviously Israel was well set up for this. I won’t be travelling in the near future once I’m vaccinated that’s for sure. But I will continue to mask and follow guidelines for my own safety. It’s an entire world that needs to be vaccinated and if the variants increase that’s not great.

myhoneyhoney

Did you use my article? :D

If you live in Alameda County, then definitely try Haller. They are open on the weekends and they give out a LOT of shots.
Awesome links you have on there. I will definitely be trying them. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information