The Medical Thread: Vaccine Search / Staying Healthy / Treatments Etc

once_upon

I was kind of surprised to hear a local infections disease doctor say that if symptoms last longer than 5-6 days to see your doctor. I thought a 24-72 hours was kind of normal but Dr. R indicated 5 days wasn't unusual.

hanca

Values her privacy
I was kind of surprised to hear a local infections disease doctor say that if symptoms last longer than 5-6 days to see your doctor. I thought a 24-72 hours was kind of normal but Dr. R indicated 5 days wasn't unusual.
I called 111 and was told to wait for a week (and do whatever you do when you have the flu - drink hot tea and rest), and go and see my doctor only after a week, if it didn’t get better yet. So it seems that one week is the ‘normal’ thing that isn’t considered necessary to bother your doctor with, but longer than a week is not the expected ‘normal’ time and then they may start taking it more seriously.

hanca

Values her privacy
Feeling bad at all sucks, but it may be that two bad days, which every advisory has been to expect, seems much more tolerable than the five that @hanca suffered. The two bad days may have been as miserable and as acute, but much shorter.
Definitely! After the first vaccine I had only two bad days, and in reality it was one really bad day (painkillers not making any difference) and one sort of bad day (painkillers helped and as long as I took them regularly, I was feeling nearly ok.) It was just after this second injection that I had six days of agony - actually, five days of agony and on the sixth day I could feel the painkillers making a huge difference, so the day was relatively comfortable (in comparison with the previous days, not in comparison with my normal state).

MsZem

If you had a choice, would you pick Phizer, Moderna or J and J? I have an appointment next week for Phizer.
Keep the appointment. Pfizer is the vaccine used in Israel, so there's a lot of data supporting its real-world effectiveness by now. And from what I gather the side effects are not quite as bad as with Moderna.

skatfan

Just to update, I am now nearly back to normal. Not 100%, I feel drained like if I had just been ill, but well enough to go to work tomorrow. 6 days of severe side effects. It was awful, but I guess it could have been much worse. It would have been easier to handle if I knew ahead how long it would take. For example, if I had a choice to get the vaccine knowing that I will have six days of this, I would probably still have it. The worst bit was not knowing. Will it take a few days, a few weeks or longer... sorry for my moaning posts the last week!
Well, you had a pretty extreme reaction, so don't apologize. I'm glad that you are finally feeling better!

FiveRinger

If you had a choice, would you pick Phizer, Moderna or J and J? I have an appointment next week for Phizer.
I just scheduled my father, my sister and myself to take J and J on Sunday. I'm so thrilled I don't know what to do. My dad was hesitant at first and qualified because of age, but I scheduled and told him he was going and one of us would come and pick him up. They open everything up to our whole state effective tomorrow. I'm just glad I got it scheduled before the masses do. Something told me if I didn't get it scheduled now there's no telling how long I would have to wait. It's been hard to schedule in my area.

FiveRinger

this is a bit hard to read for someone like me who will likely not have a chance of any vaccine for many months to come.

all these options are great. Take the chance and be happy about it 💕
Exactly....study long, study wrong, is what they used to tell us when we were kids. Any of them are good choices. I didn't get a choice. I scheduled mine thru CVS and it picked the location. That location happened to have J & J

Judy

My next door neighbour - in her 60’s and she does have some health issues - mentioned this morning that she will never get the vaccine. However, she also believes Bush caused 911 and chem trails in the skies. She is the only neighbour I am not crazy about AT ALL due to her moodiness and difficult personality but well .. if you are going to be stupid .. that would be one way of getting rid of her (ok I do feel 😳 saying that but ... ).

FiveRinger

Lady Figureskates and I had the Pfizer on Tuesday. Other than a little soreness in the arm and the fact we were tired yesterday, I would be happy with the Pfizer.
I’m fully expecting to not feel great after my vaccine on Sunday. It’s pretty common to have some soreness or slight illness after vaccination (headache, slight swelling at injection site, slight fever, etc). Anyone with babies and young children who get immunizations knows this. If it drags on or if systems are extreme, then you should be concerned.

love skating

Clueless American
Well I got my shot! It ended up being J&J for me today. I drove up to the park/community center and the line was around the building! I had to park on the grass but they had parking people directing you so that was great. The line moved at a reasonable pace but it still took about a half hour in line and this is with everyone having appointments. Another half hour to get checked in and seated and get the shot, then of course the 15 min. wait. My arm was immediately sore but it passed before the wait time and it doesn't hurt now, just a little tender. It's only been two hours so we'll see how I am tomorrow. So far my one brother got Moderna, my other brother, my sis-in-law and my mom all got Pfizer and I got J&J. I'm relieved that it's over though and I don't have to go back for another one. So I learned that Kaiser moved their vaccine unit to this site so they can vaccinate more people than they were doing at their medical center - the worker said they can now do 3000 people a day at this site alone!

Karen-W

Just scored a vaccination appointment for next Wednesday afternoon at a local Albertson's pharmacy. Don't know if it will be Pfizer or Moderna - I'm assuming it won't be J&J since the county website says that the vaccination clinic run by a church in my city in conjunction with Safeway/Albertson's is using J&J and won't be open again until at least April 16th.

Luckily I had already planned on the 15th & 16th off of work to watch WTT so I won't need to use up any of the 8hrs vaccine PTO we've been offered by my company until after the 2nd shot.

Reloaded at the right moment. After the first 3 days of nothing, found exactly one first and second dose package at a Walgreens less than a mile from where I live, even though the search was for a 25 mile radius. #1 comes tomorrow!

Interestingly, when I clicked on the Safeway/Albertson's link about 20 minutes ago to see if there was any availability almost all of the pharmacies within a 30 mile radius of me had limited availability. I could have picked an appointment tomorrow but I went with next week later in the afternoon so as to minimize the disruption from work.

tony

Interestingly, when I clicked on the Safeway/Albertson's link about 20 minutes ago to see if there was any availability almost all of the pharmacies within a 30 mile radius of me had limited availability. I could have picked an appointment tomorrow but I went with next week later in the afternoon so as to minimize the disruption from work.
I checked late last night for both CVS and Walgreens as those are the only real options here on the beach, and I thought I had a system down where I would check at the beginning of each hour - nothing. Then today, I woke up and had a few classes so was randomly checking in between, still nothing. Reloaded tonight just by chance and couldn't believe there was one 6 blocks away. They really just do pop up randomly.

Debbie S

The number of J&J vaccines shipped to states next week will be a lot lower (in my state, an 85% decrease), likely due to the production screw-up. So if you're looking to get Pfizer or Moderna, your chances next week are pretty good. Unfortunately, the decrease in overall supply will make appts harder to get. :(

Sarah

I’m officially 2 weeks post dose 2 of Moderna! The relief I feel is huge! I’ll still be masking up everywhere but maybe not always double filter double masking like I do now. I’m pretty obsessive.

my dose 2 side effects were mostly 2-3 days hitting 6 hours post vaccine (extreme exhaustion). Fever started 8-9 hours after vaccine and continued until hour 36. Extreme muscle, muscle, joint, and body aches were around the first day and subsided. Nausea lasted the longest (until day 3) and I had a terrible headache until the high fever broke (24 hours post vaccine). I was tired but sleeping was rough. I did develop a swollen lymph node (arm pit) that disappeared after a week.

My aunt got Moderna dose 2 last week and came down with an awful cold/bronchitis. Doctors think the vaccine triggered it. No fever though from the vaccine.

My mom got dose 2 of Moderna Tuesday and slept a lot on Wednesday. That was it. She was 100% come Thursday.

Aceon6

Isolating from mean people
New Hampshire USA is opening appointments to anyone. No residency required. Some of my Quebec relatives have already booked visits under the guise of a compassionate visit with my 92 yo cousin. A younger cousin will be booking their appointments. Fingers crossed they can find some J&J so they can do the trip just once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information