The Medical Thread: Vaccine Search / Staying Healthy / Treatments Etc

Susan1

Following up on that.

I've been taking very low maintenance dose prednisone for years. I hope it's helping to keep me safe too. People should be careful though. It makes you feel great when you might not be.

once_upon

New condo owner
Some good news on bbc.com this morning: A low-dose steroid treatment has been found to reduce *********-19 fatalities in those seriously ill: https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53061281. Dexamethasone will save some lives. I'm not quoting the statistics because the numbers cited in the article seem internally inconsistent (but I'm not a medical person).
I'm surprised that this isnt like one of the first drugs upon admission. Almost any lung/breathing issue get steroids as soon as major distress is evident.
I guess I assumed steroids, albuterol treatments were some of the first things ordered

sk8nlizard

I'm surprised that this isnt like one of the first drugs upon admission. Almost any lung/breathing issue get steroids as soon as major distress is evident.
I guess I assumed steroids, albuterol treatments were some of the first things ordered
It’s interesting to me because a lot of the drugs being seen as potentially helpful are drugs used to treat Lupus. Lupus is essentially your immune system being overactive which is similar to what they are saying happens with YKW. A lot of the side effects (not respiratory) are similar to things encountered with Lupus as well.

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
It's weird, but at the beginning of this whole C19 thing, steroids (prednisone and methylprednisolone especially) were a total no-no. Not fully sure where that came from, but they were pushing no steroids. So this is a bit of a turnaround.

Orm Irian

Interestingly, from what I've read about this study, they found that giving the steroid treatment early had no impact on the progress of the disease. It only became effective for patients who were ill enough to require ventilation. Yet another way in which this bug is a weird one!

jiejie

It's weird, but at the beginning of this whole C19 thing, steroids (prednisone and methylprednisolone especially) were a total no-no. Not fully sure where that came from, but they were pushing no steroids. So this is a bit of a turnaround.
The original anti-steroid position came out of experiences with SARS. During SARS, in China and Hong Kong, patients were often given high doses of these particular steroids to try to counteract the illness/inflammatory process. As a consequence of the steroid treatment, unfortunately many of the survivors developed avascular necrosis of their bones/joints (especially hips). The concern was that doing the same treatment to *********-19 patients would result in the same problems.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
White House Walks Back Promise of January Vaccines

A month after President Trump announced Operation Warp Speed, administration officials are offering no guarantees that the project will meet its goal of producing 300 million doses of a *********-19 vaccine by January.

“There are no sure things in science,” said a senior Trump administration official, who asked not to be named, in a conference call with reporters Tuesday. “We cannot promise a 100 percent chance of success. What we can tell Americans is that we’ve taken every possible step to maximize the probability of success.”

I am shocked, shocked.

Erin

I thought this was a good article on vaccines - not a ton of new information for people who have been following all along, but still a good summary:

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
The original anti-steroid position came out of experiences with SARS. During SARS, in China and Hong Kong, patients were often given high doses of these particular steroids to try to counteract the illness/inflammatory process. As a consequence of the steroid treatment, unfortunately many of the survivors developed avascular necrosis of their bones/joints (especially hips). The concern was that doing the same treatment to *********-19 patients would result in the same problems.
When I first heard the symptoms of YKW described, it sounded very similar to pulmonary fibrosis, which is what my dad passed away from. Steroids (prednisone in particular) helped ease the pain of his symptoms, so I thought it was interesting to see that it wasn't recommended for this, but that makes sense given what happened with SARS.

Susan1

When I first heard the symptoms of YKW described, it sounded very similar to pulmonary fibrosis, which is what my dad passed away from. Steroids (prednisone in particular) helped ease the pain of his symptoms, so I thought it was interesting to see that it wasn't recommended for this, but that makes sense given what happened with SARS.
My mom had COPD and they put solumedrol (steroids) in her IV every time she was in the hospital for 5 years.

clairecloutier

Fauci is testifying before Congress now and says he is "cautiously optimistic" that a vaccine may be available by early 2021:

Fauci adds that there are currently 14 different vaccine candidates being pursued in the U.S. and that the federal gov't is spending money to support their development.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information