The Medical Thread: Vaccine Search / Staying Healthy / Treatments Etc

ilovesalchows

When will vaccination ramp up in the EU? I had heard there was a delay with the upgrading of the Pfizer plant, but it seems the vaccine supply has not ramped up yet. Is this still coming?

Miezekatze

There's another form of vaccine hesitancy among people who say they're not going to get vaccinated unless it means they no longer have to mask, distance, etc. because otherwise what's the point. Shockingly, I have several friends / relatives in this camp - adamant that they will not get vaccinated unless vaccination results in clear and immediate easing of restrictions.

I've told my friends that they're being silly. Easing of restrictions is (or should be) tied to the percent of population vaccinated, so each "jab" contributes to the benefit they want, even if it's not immediate. Plus, selfishly, sooner or later, vaccination will be required for something that they want to do. Why go through the process of needing to get vaccinated in a hurry if they can get vaccinated now and be set? But if they really don't want to get the "jab," I'll happily take their spot.

And I bet then when things slowly reopen and they really want to do something that you can only do when you are vaccinated and they decide to get vaccinated because of that, they'll be whining, that it will now still take at least 6 weeks until they can do whatever they want to do anyway, because they have to wait till 2 weeks after their 2nd shot :rolleyes:

@ilovesalchows: Germany does have some more vaccine supply by now (even though real big increases are only expected for March), right now the problem is that people are picky about getting AstraZeneca :rolleyes:

Judy

NB revised their vaccine rollout plan. Depending on deliveries, healthy people under 70 seem to have to wait until July or later. Meanwhile they plan to do school staff and students aged 16-24 in June. :huh: (number of deaths in the 0-19 age group in Canada = 4; in the 20-29 group = 30. Number of deaths in the 60-69 group = 1586)

I'm sure this plan will get adjusted as time passes....
Well I would be happy with July at this point. It sounds like Pfizer is back on track delivering to Canada. I think it is every three weeks they are doing a delivery.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Ugh not sure how to fix it.
Go to the website http://tinyurl.com and past the original link into the input box labeled "Enter a long URL to make a TinyURL". Click the button called "Make TinyURL!" to make it a tiny URL. Then click the button labeled "Copy" to copy the new link to the clipboard. (There are other choices like posting to Facebook but you can ignore them.)

Then come here and paste the tiny url.

(Or you can use bit.ly but that site requires you to have an account.)

Judy

Go to the website http://tinyurl.com and past the original link into the input box labeled "Enter a long URL to make a TinyURL". Click the button called "Make TinyURL!" to make it a tiny URL. Then click the button labeled "Copy" to copy the new link to the clipboard. (There are other choices like posting to Facebook but you can ignore them.)

Then come here and paste the tiny url.

(Or you can use bit.ly but that site requires you to have an account.)
Thank you!

MacMadame

Staying at home
It does not. I use bitly all the time.
Oh, it made me sign up. Pout.

I like it better than tinyurl. But I'm used to tinyurl for here. I use bit.ly for URLs to share. Like the URL to register for a zoom meeting might be 2 lines long. But I'll bit.ly it and give it a name people can remember.

Miezekatze

Sounds great. Germany is still so slow, but there's improvements now with Astra Zeneca delivering many doses.

All teachers can get vaccinated earlier now too in my state.

And delivery is supposed to increase strongly in the 2nd quarter of the year.

acraven

Thanks, @allezfred. Denmark was on last year's aborted itinerary. Maybe there's hope. I wouldn't expect to have to fight with all the residents of Ireland, the UK and Scandinavia for a spot in the sun in Denmark.

In case I wasn't the only one wondering about whether Denmark's late June date applied to only the first or both vaccinations, it must be both, based on the anticipated daily vaccination rate and the country's population of less than 6 million.

acraven

I was also going to take the Hurtigruten ship up the Norwegian Coast. :scream:

Seriously, it's difficult to focus on trip-planning when you're a weather-focused traveler and don't know when you'll be able to begin your trip. Unfortunately, most of the places I haven't been are in northern Europe.

ilovesalchows

My husband got his first Pfizer dose last night. He has type 1 diabetes and has been so worried all year, getting tested every time he feels a little "off." Big weight off his shoulders.

We cancelled a big trip last summer to Europe. Re-scheduled to this summer but that is on the verge of being cancelled. I am waiting until Easter just to make sure it is toast, as it's all refundable anyway. It looks like the Portland teachers union will be cancelling school for ALL of 2021, so we may be able to go in the fall if the kids are just dialing in to class anyway. (I am so sad about what is going on in my city, it just feels lost to me anymore.) At any rate, my oldest has his Bar Mitzvah August 21 so hopefully we are allowed to have a little party with people we aren't related to by then.

Aceon6

Isolating from mean people
Yay!

I think it’s better to be on different schedules.

That way if one has bad side effects, there is always the other one to help.
That’s a thought, but we are already anticipating a ”breaking stay at home” celebration, so any delay is annoying. Kinda like the build up for Montreal!

Oreo

I got my second Moderna dose today! So far, no side effects.

A few days ago I met a woman—in my age cohort—and I casually mentioned “hey, I’ve had my shot!” She shrank back, eyes widened, and said no way would she get the vaccine. All I could think of was this must have been what it was like in the Middle Ages when people thought you were a witch.

Karen-W

My husband got his first Pfizer dose last night. He has type 1 diabetes and has been so worried all year, getting tested every time he feels a little "off." Big weight off his shoulders.

We cancelled a big trip last summer to Europe. Re-scheduled to this summer but that is on the verge of being cancelled. I am waiting until Easter just to make sure it is toast, as it's all refundable anyway. It looks like the Portland teachers union will be cancelling school for ALL of 2021, so we may be able to go in the fall if the kids are just dialing in to class anyway. (I am so sad about what is going on in my city, it just feels lost to me anymore.) At any rate, my oldest has his Bar Mitzvah August 21 so hopefully we are allowed to have a little party with people we aren't related to by then.
Congratulations on the vaccination!

And, FFS - PPS is just ridiculous - why on earth would they still refuse to go back to school in the fall? So glad that I 1) don't have kids, and 2) I don't live in Multnomah Cty. Good luck with our Nanny letting us do anything this summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information