The Medical Thread: Vaccine Search / Staying Healthy / Treatments Etc

pat c

An early trial of a prospective *********-19 vaccine that will soon be tested on Canadians has found it to be safe and effective at prompting an immune response.

A study published Friday in the Lancet says the formulation from China’s CanSino Biologics Inc. needs more trials to determine whether it can actually protect against SARS-CoV-2, the ***** that causes *********-19.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Staff member
So now we have 3 vaccine possibilities? One from China, one from the US and one. from Canada?

I'm having trouble keeping track.

skategal

Bunny mama
So now we have 3 vaccine possibilities? One from China, one from the US and one. from Canada?

I'm having trouble keeping track.
China and Canada have partnered together so that is the same vaccine.

There is a third one in production from Oxford University which has partnered with a bunch of labs including the largest vaccine production lab in the world (in India.) It worked in rhesus monkeys and has an 80% chance of working in humans. They just increased their human trials to include 10000 people.

There is also a fourth one from Pfizer in Germany IIRC.

Those are the only ones I am aware of but there could be more also.

pat c

This was as of yesterday.

Last edited:

Simone411

Do stand. Do stand six. Do stand six feet from me.
@pat c, that link won't work. It states that it's a potentially dangerous path. I think it's because the Beer Burden is used as part of the link. I've seen another link similar to this one fixed by another member here at FSU, but I don't know how it's done.

pat c

@pat c, that link won't work. It states that it's a potentially dangerous path. I think it's because the Beer Burden is used as part of the link. I've seen another link similar to this one fixed by another member here at FSU, but I don't know how it's done.
fixed. :)

manhn

I don’t see why Canadians have such issues with Canada and China working together together on a vaccine. Look at the magic when Lori and S&Z worked together.

hanca

Values her privacy
I don’t see why Canadians have such issues with Canada and China working together together on a vaccine. Look at the magic when Lori and S&Z worked together.
Yes, I think in situations like this one, all politics should be pushed aside and all scientists should actually work together. It is matter of life and death for millions on people.

skategal

Bunny mama
I don’t see why Canadians have such issues with Canada and China working together together on a vaccine.
I kind of feel like it gives the vaccine development process way more credibility especially considering China and Canada are not known to be natural partners to each other.

I mean, we did just piss them off royally by extraditing that CEO to the USA. :shuffle: :saint:

Also, I think Canada would be one of the least countries that would risk manufacturing and giving a dud vaccine to people.... We're pretty risk adverse up here...

acraven

From CNN: The Oxford (UK) vaccine folks are a bit concerned there may be a delay in getting through their testing protocol because the ***** isn't circulating as heavily now. That is likely to reduce *********-19 infections in the control group. (Maybe they should set up a second test site in Brazil??)

reporter_nyc

The following articles set out the important role that Vitamin D3 plays in maintaining a healthy immune system and enabling the body to fight off the c-vir*s. They recommend taking vitamin D3 supplements (10 micrograms per day) where there is a deficiency

The articles also explain that vitamin D3 deficiency is greater in some groups compared to others and that those groups who have a greater deficiency have suffered a disproportionate number of deaths as a result

As I can say, after these articles reading, it's not the whole truth. Our immune system's health depends not only on vitamins or some supplements. More and more materials say about vaccines, but it's not proved yet, unfortunately. You may though this list of medical investigations about *********-19, latest news, and statistics. A number of governments across the world, including the UK and US, have already clinched production deals for the leading vaccine candidates that are being developed by the top pharmaceutical giants. We just need some time.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
I honestly don’t understand why trials were stopped based on that study anyways. Even if the data was 100% accurate, it was still useless information. They were making choices based on popular perception based on actual science.

I think HQL very well may not work, but an observational study is useless for showing that. Why would the WHO or any other organization use it to make decisions about trials? I said this at the time. And frankly, people who don’t understand how medications are developed and tested can be excused for not understanding that, even if there were no problems with the data, that Lancet paper told us nothing. But the WHO can’t.

becca

I honestly don’t understand why trials were stopped based on that study anyways. Even if the data was 100% accurate, it was still useless information. They were making choices based on popular perception based on actual science.

I think HQL very well may not work, but an observational study is useless for showing that. Why would the WHO or any other organization use it to make decisions about trials? I said this at the time. And frankly, people who don’t understand how medications are developed and tested can be excused for not understanding that, even if there were no problems with the data, that Lancet paper told us nothing. But the WHO can’t.
A lot of my friends are wondering if it was the power that be. I mean that medicine is already used and cheap to make. Big pharma wouldn’t get a lot of profits

skatingguy

Golden Team
A lot of my friends are wondering if it was the power that be. I mean that medicine is already used and cheap to make. Big pharma wouldn’t get a lot of profits
Buts that's exactly the type of thing that would make big pharma a lot of money. One of the reasons that drug costs have had such high rates of inflation compared to the broader economy is companies buying cheap patents for drugs that have specific uses with limited or no alternatives, and jacking the prices. Look at what happened with inhalers. If hydroxychloroquine had proved successful in the treatment, and or prevention of *********-19 it would have given huge profits with limited additional costs to the companies that own the patent.

once_upon

New condo owner
Yeah, like insulin used to be somewhat affordable and now not so much.

When the demand is high they can change pricing structure

bladesofgorey

The reason why trials were stopped based on that anecdotal research is because trials involve real human lives, and if HQ appeared to be triggering more deaths and/or worse outcomes it's unethical to continue even if the basis is anecdotal. I am seeing preprint studies that confirm that even though this study appears to be flawed, HQ shows no protection against infection and no positive results in treatment. If, as current research is pointing toward, the ***** is vascular as well and causes damage to organs including the heart, the use of HQ as a treatment would be quite dangerous.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
The reason why trials were stopped based on that anecdotal research is because trials involve real human lives, and if HQ appeared to be triggering more deaths and/or worse outcomes it's unethical to continue even if the basis is anecdotal. I am seeing preprint studies that confirm that even though this study appears to be flawed, HQ shows no protection against infection and no positive results in treatment. If, as current research is pointing toward, the ***** is vascular as well and causes damage to organs including the heart, the use of HQ as a treatment would be quite dangerous.
I am a researcher. It’s my degree. I know it involves real human lives. But we shouldn’t be pulling research arms based on nothing but junk science. Pulling research arms also involves real human lives. There was nothing in that observational study, even if the data was real, that actually suggested that HQL caused more deaths as opposed to HQL being given to sicker patients. The flaws were obvious.

I don’t think HQL is going to turn out to be the cure. But if you have good enough reason to start a study arm, a flawed observational meta analysis shouldn’t be a reason to stop it.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Staff member
There was nothing in that observational study, even if the data was real, that actually suggested that HQL caused more deaths as opposed to HQL being given to sicker patients. The flaws were obvious.
And were pointed out at the time.

I still think pausing research would have been okay. But not killing any of it.

acraven

Some good news on bbc.com this morning: A low-dose steroid treatment has been found to reduce *********-19 fatalities in those seriously ill: https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53061281. Dexamethasone will save some lives. I'm not quoting the statistics because the numbers cited in the article seem internally inconsistent (but I'm not a medical person).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information