The Medical Thread: Vaccine Search / Staying Healthy / Treatments Etc

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I understand why nations held on to the vaccine at the very beginning when quantities were limited, but I don't understand why, when there are vaccines readily available that they won't let other EU citizens (at least) get them.

antmanb

I'm in the same boat at @allezfred but in the UK. The Government are only giving boosters to over 50s and "vulnerable" people. I'm 44, got my third shot in December 2021 and can't get the 4th shot because i'm only 44.

Seems really stupid to be talking endlessly about the slow uptake for the 4th booster and still not letting anyone younger go for it if they want it.

I've only heard of the bivalent booster on this board - i don't even know if that is the booster that is currently available for the over 50s.

Lara

It's JJ style!
I’m honestly surprised to hear that. We had a frustratingly slow initial vaccine rollout, but I think from last May on anyone in Quebec above 18 could get additional boosters. I’m antmanb’s age and got the bivalent version about a month ago. Is it more due to lack of personnel to administer than vaccine supply? That was an issue last December when Omicron hit.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Thanks. I honestly thought it was called the NHS in many countries (but not all, obviously)
The Irish Health Service Executive is a very different beast to the British NHS. It’s a two-tier system with a public/private mix.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
So...tapping into the FSU hivemind...I got sick on the 2nd, tested positive on the 5th, started to feel a little better each day beginning on the 7th, but then had a fever again on the 10th, tested positive again on the 11th, felt meh on the 12th, felt bad on the 13th, yet tested negative late on the 13th and again just now (14th).

So...should I go to the holiday luncheon at work today? I'm the one with the corporate card, so I have to get that to someone somehow. I feel like I have sinus issues, but I'm not seeing any green or yellow gunk, so that's good.

I don't want to go, but I'm the boss so..:/

Stefanie

So...tapping into the FSU hivemind...I got sick on the 2nd, tested positive on the 5th, started to feel a little better each day beginning on the 7th, but then had a fever again on the 10th, tested positive again on the 11th, felt meh on the 12th, felt bad on the 13th, yet tested negative late on the 13th and again just now (14th).

So...should I go to the holiday luncheon at work today? I'm the one with the corporate card, so I have to get that to someone somehow. I feel like I have sinus issues, but I'm not seeing any green or yellow gunk, so that's good.

I don't want to go, but I'm the boss so..:/
You shouldn't be contagious anymore if it's been 12 days since the onset of your symptoms (unless you had some kind of relapse on the 11th and that starts the 5-day quarantine over again, but then you tested negative today...those tests are iffy sometimes), but if you're still not feeling well, can you hand the corporate card off (while wearing a mask) to one of your employees and then come home and rest/call it a day?

Last edited:

sk8pics

I think if you had a fever on the 10th that starts the clock over again. The cdc website probably has guidance on that.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
FINALLY! My age group 18-49 (will let you guess where I fall in that ;) ) can get our second booster. Of course, the reason why we can is because the situation in hospitals is absolutely dire. :rolleyes:

quartz

scratching at the light
Spoke too soon. :lol:

Bit of a headache and slight muscle ache hit at about 22 hours….
This was exactly my symptoms and timing after getting both flu and Covid shots on Wednesday. Took a couple of Aleeve, went to bed, and was right as rain the next morning.

Allskate

That was my only reaction to my boosters too. Far better then when I had the original vaccine!

Yeah, a bit of a sore arm for a day was all that happened with my boosters. The first two shots, in addition to a sore arm, I was tired the first day with the first shot and had a bit of a headache after the second shot. People will respond differently.

IMO, the boosters definitely were worth it. I got my last booster a couple of weeks before I went on vacation. I've known people who got sick with COVID while on vacation, and it was not fun. I also felt more comfortable doing things like going to the dentist after getting the booster.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Just got the bivalent booster. Our last shots were in April, and DH had covid in August and I had it in September.
Interesting that here if you have had Covid within the past six month they will not give you a shot. Is the guidance three months where you are?

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I think the CDC just wants people to actually get the boosters so has minimal requirements. WHO says there is no data about when to get one after having covid but recommends six months. CDC says 3 months but some people might want to consider doing it sooner and if you get certain treatments when you had covid, you don't have to wait at all. 👀

CDC's page on when to get your booster:

skategal

Bunny mama
For anyone who has been flying commercially lately.

And that’s samples from only those who went to the bathroom for a “number 2” during the flight which I would think wouldn’t be a majority of the passengers. :scream:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information