The Medical Thread: Vaccine Search / Staying Healthy / Treatments Etc

sk8pics

It's not clear to me whether you're eligible for the new booster if you already had 2 boosters. I'm going to discuss it with my doctor next month. But even if I'm eligible I may wait a little while longer; the article I read said there was some disagreement over whether a two-month interval between the last shot and the new booster is really optimal, and a little longer time might be better. I got my second booster in late May, so maybe November or so is a good time for me, if my doc agrees.

once_upon

Enough
We got our second booster as soon as it was approved in anticipation of our April cruise (that did not happen). It is 6 months post that booster.

DH is not sure since it is a new formulation. At least 4 people at church came down with Covid this week. I'm ready to get it as soon as it is in the pharmacy. Probably with the flu vaccine at the same time.

maureenfarone

We got our second booster as soon as it was approved in anticipation of our April cruise (that did not happen). It is 6 months post that booster.

DH is not sure since it is a new formulation. At least 4 people at church came down with Covid this week. I'm ready to get it as soon as it is in the pharmacy. Probably with the flu vaccine at the same time.
I have a question about getting the next booster and seasonal flu shots at the same time within the next couple of weeks. My understanding is the seasonal flu shot is effective for about 6 months which means it would last until about mid-March. In Ohio our flu season lasts until about early May. Wouldn't it be better for me to wait on the seasonal flu shot until the end of October? My doctor also wants me get the newest pneumonia vaccine (maybe Prevnar 20?) and I'm trying to figure out when to get that.

Any suggestions appreciated. I'm more than willing to get the vaccines but trying to figure this out is making me crazy.

once_upon

Enough
Last year/flu season, I got the first booster at the same time as my flu. I think in September (I'd have to get my cards out to verify). Sept last year was wild - I think I had first Shingrix and a DaPT, Flu and Covid Booster all within a 3 or 4 week period.

My pulmonary doctor has always recommended an early flu shot, even if it means a suggested "booster" flu vaccine in Feb or March.

I can't remember when I got Prevenar 23, but it was also in 2021, maybe Feb?

I'm considering enrolling in an RSV vaccine research study.

The pharmacist on TV right now says the new Covid/Bivalent booster can be given 2 months after last booster.

I would ask a pharmacist for certain on all the recommendations

Allskate

I have a question about getting the next booster and seasonal flu shots at the same time within the next couple of weeks. My understanding is the seasonal flu shot is effective for about 6 months which means it would last until about mid-March. In Ohio our flu season lasts until about early May. Wouldn't it be better for me to wait on the seasonal flu shot until the end of October?
I have been advised by my doctor in the past to wait until the end of October to get my flu vaccine because it lasts for six months. Last year, the flu season ran later than usual, with a lot of cases well into May. So, I may wait a little longer that usual to get my flu shot.

I can't decide when to get the new COVID booster. I got one in May, so I definitely could get one now. I'd like one that is also targeted to Omicron. But, because effectiveness wanes over time, to the extent I can predict the time period when I am most likely to be exposed, I'd like to get it closer to that time.

sk8pics

A friend the same age as me told me he got the bivalent booster on Saturday. He didn’t have any reaction to it other than a sore arm. He was urging me to get mine. I’m still planning to talk to my doctor in a few weeks when I see him.

emason

I visited my PCP on the 7th and asked about the flu shot. Answer: I have the flu vaccine here in the office; you can have the shot right now, so done! Then I asked about the latest Covid booster; answer: it might take a week or 2 to get an appointment, but get it as soon as possible. I was able to get the shot at my local independent pharmacy just up the block from my apartment this week on Tuesday, so done! I have some chronic underlying health issues and my PCP and Pulmonologist always want me to have shots sooner rather than later.

once_upon

Enough
We will be getting our flu shots next week, I suppose we could go today or this weekend. The pharmacy doesn't require appointments

Had my booster yesterday :) The nurse said because I’m on the clinically extremely vulnerable list, I’ll be able to get an extra booster. They’re moving towards six month boosters for that list (I assume also older people?) and yearly for everyone else. I don’t know if that’s official or just whats being floated. She also said that because I’m on that list, they consider three shots to be fully vaccinated, and the fourth to be the first booster. I don’t care, I’m happy to get as many boosters as recommended, covid took me out for a month+ so a sore arm for a couple of days is much preferable.

sk9tingfan

Since there is a big polio resurgence problem in two Ny counties, not only New York but Connecticut is now analyzing wastewater to detect virus levels. This is a technique that was first used with COVID to determine incidence in the population and communicability.

maureenfarone

My original vaccinations and the boosters were Moderna. Right now the pharmacy I would like to use for the newest booster only has Pfizer. I know in the past it has been ok to mix the 2 rna vaccines but what is the thinking on the newest booster for omicron?

maureenfarone

Happy to report I had the newest booster on Tuesday. The pharmacy I used only has Pfizer and my other vaccinations were Moderna but I didn't have any bad reactions to the Pfizer so I'm relieved. I'll be going back to the same Rite Aid for my seasonal flu shot in the middle of October.

sk8pics

You know, I always get my flu shot, but this year I almost forgot about it because of all the hype about covid and the vaccines. I haven’t gotten it yet, but I will.

SkateSand

Cat Servant
My husband and I have the variant boosters scheduled for Monday. In my former county, all the pharmacies offered the vaccine even though they all required appointments in advance. Here, only one of the pharmacies (Walgreens) is offering the shots. I made the appointments online on Friday and all time slots were available for Saturday and Monday (didn't look further ahead than that). I sure hope more people take advantage of the opportunity. I'm sad, though, it will be a different technician than the one I adore in my former county who could give any shot so painlessly that you didn't even know you'd had it already. :p

jeffisjeff

I got my special booster (and flu shot) yesterday since I will be traveling in just under 3 weeks. As with the others, no side effects other than a mildly sore arm for 12-18 hours (although after one earlier dose, I did get a headache, which I blamed on the vaccine, but since it has never happened again, that might not be the cause).

However, this shot did feel different going in. I swear I could feel it go up my arm. Not pain or anything, just a weird sensation. :confused:

Reactions: KCC

MacMadame

Doing all the things
However, this shot did feel different going in. I swear I could feel it go up my arm. Not pain or anything, just a weird sensation. :confused:
I got two vaccines at my last checkup and one of them was like that. I think it's just random or maybe it's technique because it happens to me sometimes but not others.

once_upon

Enough
This time with my flu vaccine, I had it given in my right arm. I've always had vaccinations in my left arm since ~1980's as it is not my dominate arm. I always had a weird sensation - tingling burning sensation. Since it was a sensation I associate with pushed IV medications, I thought it was normal.

This time in the right arm, I did not have that sensation. I'm fairly certain it was not technique - the pharmacist was new and nervous.

SkateSand

Cat Servant
I had my variant booster today. My appointment was for 11:45 a.m. and I was to be there fifteen minutes early so I checked in at 11:30 a.m. I don't know why, since I didn't get called in for my shot until 12:15 p.m. :rolleyes: I guess being the only game in town, they can be as leisurely as they want. In any case, the shot was routine. I've had Moderna for all my shots so I'm guessing I'll have the usual reaction of a sore arm for a few days and some fatigue tonight or tomorrow. There was for sure at least one appointment before mine as I watched someone get called inside ahead of me so now there are at least two people in this town who have had the variant booster. :p

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I was able to get a Moderna bi-valent booster yesterday due to a cancellation. No issues other than a slightly sore arm and a bit of lethargy. High dose flu shots seem to be in short supply in my area and the best we could get is next Friday. That’s probably good as the hi-dose tends to knock me out for 24 hours.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I was able to get a Moderna bi-valent booster yesterday due to a cancellation. No issues other than a slightly sore arm and a bit of lethargy. High dose flu shots seem to be in short supply in my area and the best we could get is next Friday. That’s probably good as the hi-dose tends to knock me out for 24 hours.
My mom got the high dose flu shot last year and felt so sick that she went back to the regular dose this year.

once_upon

Enough
I guess I've been fortunate, I've gotten high dose Flu Vaccine for several years. Not had a bad reaction - just same as normal dose sore arm.

MLIS

Thoughts on getting the bivalent booster and the flu shot simultaneously vs spreading them out? My last covid booster (4th dose) was in July, here (Canada) they are recommending waiting six months but you can get it after three. We are travelling at the end of November and my husband is moderately high risk so we want to get the bivalent booster before we go, but also think this is a good year to get the flu shot. I know some of you have been getting them at the same time. I could also do the flu shot now and do the bivalent booster in a couple of weeks, trying to decide if I should get any side effects over with all at once or spread it out (I reacted quite badly to doses 1 and 2, mildly to dose 3, and hardly at all to dose 4, I don't usually react badly to a flu shot).

sk8pics

Thoughts on getting the bivalent booster and the flu shot simultaneously vs spreading them out? My last covid booster (4th dose) was in July, here (Canada) they are recommending waiting six months but you can get it after three. We are travelling at the end of November and my husband is moderately high risk so we want to get the bivalent booster before we go, but also think this is a good year to get the flu shot. I know some of you have been getting them at the same time. I could also do the flu shot now and do the bivalent booster in a couple of weeks, trying to decide if I should get any side effects over with all at once or spread it out (I reacted quite badly to doses 1 and 2, mildly to dose 3, and hardly at all to dose 4, I don't usually react badly to a flu shot).
Every year is a good year to get the flu shot. ;)

What does your doctor say about getting the flu and covid shot together? Mine told me to separate them only in case I had a reaction so we’d know which one caused it. The pharmacist told me anecdotally that he’s heard of more reactions when people got them together. But I do know people who’ve gotten them both together with no problem.

I got mine 1 week apart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information