The Medical Thread: Vaccine Search / Staying Healthy / Treatments Etc

sk8pics

Second Moderna booster, 4th shot overall, on board today without issue. The pharmacist did a great job. And coincidentally (?)got a text from the Vsafe program reminding me I was eligible for the 4th shot and to update my info if I got one.

KCC

I got my second Moderna booster yesterday. No issues except for a modestly sore arm and a little trouble sleeping last night. Not bad at all. I'm going to Stars on Ice on the 26th, visiting a college student at her university on the 27-28th, visiting my stepson in mid-June and going to our family reunion in Myrtle Beach in July. Lots of things coming up that I don't want to miss (well, except for maybe the reunion).

sk8pics

So, I spoke too soon. I seem to be having a reaction today to my booster shot from yesterday: I was exhausted when I woke up, muscle aches, and then in the afternoon I had chills that have since changed to a 101.3 fever.

I did take a test this morning and it was negative. I’ll take another one tomorrow, but I do think it’s a reaction. Similar symptoms but it took longer for them to appear, presumably because of the lower dose.

AJ Skatefan

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love!
No monkeypox thread on FSU?

Here’s an overview, published today (24 May):

Apparently it’s not as contagious or, if caught, as life threatening as COVID. Caught mainly through prolonged contact with bodily fluids and such. So far, the current strain affects a “disproportionate number of men who have sex with men.”

More on this -

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I got both boosters of Pfizer (after the two Pfizer vaccines). I always wear masks- KN95 in crowded areas like stores, airports, planes. I am not happy that CDC removed the restrictions at airport and on the planes. I even carry disinfectant sheets with me and clean everything around me when I take a seat on the plane.

My second booster was in May. Upon flying back from California I got sick and tested positive for the C. I know for sure that I caught it at the airport because I had to transfer to another flight in LasVegas. It was crowded (as usual a full flight) and the boarding procedure of Southwest airline added to the contacts with other people, most of who were maskless. Now I am sick. Fortunately not in ER or ICU but I am being watchful, just in case the symptoms worsen.

I feel that I have done everything possible to protect myself and yet I got the crud. I heard that the new variant spreads very fast. May be so, but CDC should not have relaxed the mask regulations at airports and on the planes. Many people are getting sick.

Last edited:

maureenfarone

In the U. S. is another booster being recommended for this fall? I've had 2 vaccination shots and 2 boosters - all of them Moderna. My second booster was in April 2022 so I'm wondering about when another booster is recommended. I'm older and have other health issues so not catching covid has been very important to me. I'm still wearing a mask when shopping.

hoptoad

I liked this article that recommends masking at least for at least the boarding and deplaning phases of a flight. More information like this that quantifies and breaks down the risk of spread is really helpful. I'm not willing to wear a mask all the time but can be sold on doing so when it's most beneficial.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
There is talk that a new version of the vaccine will be available in the Fall that battles Omnicron better. But it's not a sure thing yet.
I think cnn (maybe msnbc?) talked about the Novavax vaccine the other day as a possible vaccine for those who are still unvaccinated. They say it is effective against Omi...
Autocorrect is not letting me type the full word.

I googled Novavax but all I found was - sign up for updates. I didn't sign up. I am not likely to go for it, as I have already received four shots of Pfizer and because I am already sick. Caught the crud while flying back from Cal, surrounded by hundreds of maskless people.

sk8pics

Someone I know who is supposed to be at the same symposium as I am next week tested positive for covid the other day. They are testing us on Monday morning. I’m afraid she will still test positive even if she’s not contagious. She was going to contact the organizers about whether they will accept a letter of recovery from a doctor, if in fact she is recovered. I asked that question in a zoom update call on July 5 and we have not gotten an answer yet. :rolleyes:

I’m going for a rapid PCR test tomorrow and will do a home antigen test on Friday. Crossing my fingers that both will be negative.

sk9tingfan

Well, Amazon is moving into bricks and mortar health care. Wonder if personnel that go along with the acquired Medical One bricks and mortar will shortly unionize.

sk9tingfan

So, the NYS Department of Health has registered a case of POLIO in Rockland County. I'm not totally surprised as the rate of pediatric immunizations are substantially down due to the pandemic. However, it would be interesting to know what country the genesis of the virus was. Back in the 1970's polio was highly rare in the US, but still present in Brazil.

The demographics of the population in Rockland County include a very large contingent of Orthodox and Chasidic Jews who are generally against immunization. :watch:

Last edited:

million$momma

So, the NYS Department of Health has registered a case of POLIO in Rockland County. I'm not totally surprised as the rate of pediatric immunizations are substantially down due to the pandemic. However, it would be interesting to know what country the genesis of the virus was. Back in the 1970's polio was highly rare in the US, but still present in Brazil.

The demographics of the population in Rockland County include a very large contingent of Orthodox and Chasidic Jews who are generally against immunization. :watch:

Does the US still routinely vaccinate for polio? I was born in Canada in the mid 70s and have not been vaccinated for polio. My children did not receive a polio vaccine either and are considered fully vaccinated.

Stefanie

Does the US still routinely vaccinate for polio? I was born in Canada in the mid 70s and have not been vaccinated for polio. My children did not receive a polio vaccine either and are considered fully vaccinated.
I was born in the early 80s and I'm not sure if I was...I mean I am sure if it was offered my mom would have me get it. She still has that baby book that lists all my shots.

Also, how can your children be considered fully vaccinated if they didn't receive a vaccine???

Stefanie

Kids are "fully vaccinated" if they have all the shots required by law in order to attend school or daycare. A polio vaccine isn't required anymore, at least not everywhere.
Thank you. I thought she meant against polio specifically so that's why I was confused. Got it. :)

sk9tingfan

Kids are "fully vaccinated" if they have all the shots required by law in order to attend school or daycare. A polio vaccine isn't required anymore, at least not everywhere.
Here are the latest vaccination requirements put out by the CDC:

This is most probably reiterated at the state level for Medicaid. Referencing NCQA which tracks and measures vaccination compliance. there is a requirement that children under the age of two will have received three doses.

Barbara Manatee

Oh cool, I thought polio had been dropped - maybe I was thinking of smallpox? Never mind! No polio = not fully vaccinated.

skategal

Bunny mama
Canada does.

It’s part of the DTap-IPV-HIB series at 2-4-6 and 18 months.

And again as part of the TDap-IPV immunization at 4-6 years.

IPV = polio

Check your kid’s immunization records to see if IPV is there.

It gets forgotten as people more easily remember they got the Diptheria-Tetanus and Pertussis (whooping cough) parts of the vaccine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information