The Medical Thread: Vaccine Search / Staying Healthy / Treatments Etc

million$momma

Finally got my hands on a box of those free antigen testing kits and I’m negative. Love the idea of testing myself early in the morning before doing anything.
They are very easy to get in my home town right now. Every grocery store has them, you can get a pack of 5 with your weekly grocery shop (you just have to ask for one).

MacMadame

Doing all the things
We got our free test kits a week or so ago. There is a way to get free KN95 masks, too, right?

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
We got our free test kits a week or so ago. There is a way to get free KN95 masks, too, right?
My Winn Dixie has had a box of the free N95s by the pharmacy for weeks and I take three every time I go. Very few people wear masks around here so the supply barely dwindles.

once_upon

Believer in woman's right to own healthcare decisi
We got our free tests about 7 days after ordering them. Everyone needs to keep the test expiration dates in mind.

sk8pics

My “free” COVID tests, the ones I signed up for about 30 seconds after the US website went live on January 20th and we’re expected within 7-12 days, have shipped. I might see them by the end of the week. Good thing I had purchased some in December.
I got mine yesterday, ordered them on January 20th.

I see the expiration date is in 2023.

love skating

Clueless American
I got my tests last week. The expiration date is July 23, 2022. I thought it was year 2023 at first glance cause it says 23 at the end, but then noticed the year comes first "2022" and 23 was the day.

sk8pics

I just went and looked at the boxes. The free tests I got expire in January of 2023. The ones I bought, I think in December, expire in October of 2023.

Aceon6

Isolating from mean people
We got ours on Tuesday. Expiration was far enough out to be useful. We’ve been using 2-3 a month. And our city has them pretty much on demand for anyone willing to go to the health department.

Louis

Private citizen

A large-scale study has found that one of the best ways to prevent outcomes from severe C19 is.... exercise.

The research was an international collaboration led by the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg, South Africa, with researchers at Western University. It looked at the health outcomes of over 65,000 patients from March 2020 to June 2021.

"What we found is that even if you're active for only 60 minutes per week, that's still enough to infer a protective benefit against severe outcomes of COVID-19," said Dr. Jane Thornton, one of the study's researchers at Western.

"It was interesting to look at objectively measured physical activity, where we measure it, instead of asking questions about people's physical activity levels," she added.

The researchers saw hospitalizations declining by about two-thirds, with ICU admissions and ventilation down by nearly half, compared to those with no physical activity.

It's a shame that so much of C19 policy was counterproductive to this, and I hope we don't make the same mistakes ever again.

As we move out of the pandemic, we need to refocus on holistic health outcomes and urgently address the underlying issues that made the pandemic so much worse: obesity, smoking, and sedentary lifestyles.

Vagabond

Vagabond

As reported in the audio, this is true even for schizophrenics who look after themselves and get good medical treatment. This finding may lead to redefining schizophrenia as a disease of the entire body rather than a mental illness.

once_upon

I've been searching trying to find out when the FDA will rule on Pfizer and Moderna EUA application for 2nd booster (ie the fourth vaccination). I'd like to be able to get one before we travel in 18 days.

I have a couple of cousins, who have just walked into a pharmacy and gotten a 4th vaccination by saying they forgot their immunization cards. I'd rather do it the right way AND have it documented on the current immunization card.

Has anyone heard a date when ruling would be announced?

Allskate

I've been searching trying to find out when the FDA will rule on Pfizer and Moderna EUA application for 2nd booster (ie the fourth vaccination). I'd like to be able to get one before we travel in 18 days.

I have a couple of cousins, who have just walked into a pharmacy and gotten a 4th vaccination by saying they forgot their immunization cards. I'd rather do it the right way AND have it documented on the current immunization card.

Has anyone heard a date when ruling would be announced?
According to one article I read, the FDA has not said when it will decide. Another article seems to indicate that they are looking for approval of a fourth shot for next fall. (Immunocompromised people, as distinct from people with underlying conditions, already can get a fourth shot.)

I know a couple of people who got COVID in airports flying back after the holidays, so I can understand your concern. COVID stinks, and it would really stink to have it during a trip. That happened to one of my colleagues - she and her husband got sick during their vacation.

Right now, it seems like your best protection is good masking and doing your best to social distance while in the airport. It is pretty easy to get KN95s and N95s right now. You can even get a few free N95s from some pharmacies. I asked for some from the cashier at my local CVS. I think they are supposed to give you only three masks, but I guess not too many people are asking for them now, and the cashier gave me 16 masks.

once_upon

I was on the phone with the pharmacist trying to get 45 days of prescriptions for our upcoming trip. We got all that discussed and she was going to work on it (stupid pharmacy prescription plan is a real PITA about extended refills).

I then asked about 2nd booster and if we would be eligible because of age, under the current guidelines/authorizations because of age (70 and 69). No, :( but she and I are hoping EUA will go through soon - she thought it might be in a week or 10 days

Hope so, crosses fingers

ballettmaus

Very telling graph - hosptial and intensive care respectivly

And again, not a word about long C19. It drives me insane that it's still all about deaths and hospitalizations when it's more than clear that this disease is about so much more than that and that vaccines only reduce the risk of long C19 by about half.

Given how disabling long C19 is, I find it irresponsible and negligent that officials have not made long C19 part of the mainstream conversation yet.

I really don't want to imagine what the situation will look like in Berlin in a few years if it really also leads to early onset Alzheimer's or Dementia. Nursing homes are already understaffed and there aren't enough nurses who care for the elderly. A sharp increase in people who require care would be a nightmare.

once_upon

We went at the appointed time. Apparently at that time only the FDA approved EUA and CDC needed to sign off.

I just got a news alert that CDC signed off. Called the pharmacy to see if I could come over now or did I need to remake appointment and new paperwork.

Tech checked with pharmacist who is not the pharmacist in charge. They cannot give it until corporate signs off sometime tomorrow.

SkateSand

Cat Servant
I decided to schedule my 2nd Booster and was able to book an appointment for tomorrow morning. I'm going to miss this Rite Aid pharmacy when we move to the coast because the technician/nurse who gives the shots here is so good that they are absolutely painless every time, no matter what kind of shot it is.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
An interesting article about testing sewer poop to track disease. They started doing it for covid, but are going to continue doing it for other diseases like cold and flu.

It's behind a paywall so here are some excerpts:

The COVID-19 virus is not the only troubling microbe that lurks in our poop.

Buoyed by the success of wastewater surveillance to monitor for the coronavirus, some Bay Area communities are now applying the same strategy to seek out the flu virus and other germs, ushering in a new era of epidemiology.

“There’s an opportunity to use the data as a warning system to say: ‘A peak of illness is coming,’ even if it is not COVID,” said Marlene Wolfe, whose Stanford University-based Sewage Coronavirus Alert Network (SCAN) team is sampling up to eight wastewater treatment plants within California daily, with a 24-hour turnaround time.
The strategy works by identifying and measuring genetic material in the form of DNA and RNA from microbes, which are shed in stool. Samples from the stool sludge are captured downstream from toilets, in sewage pipes and wastewater treatment plants.

It’s a far faster and more efficient approach than waiting for people to get sick and then seek testing.
Using sewage as a data source isn’t new. Back in the 1980s, many nations used it to reveal whether polio had been eliminated. Some cities have sampled sewage to find opioid metabolites and identify neighborhoods at risk of overdoses.
But a research lab at UC San Francisco, run by Chiu, is showing the potential to screen for a much broader array of microbes, such as bacteria, waterborne protozoa, fungus and novel forms of viruses. While not as quick as the state and Stanford efforts, Chiu’s lab can detect the emergence of a brand new pathogen, even before people report illness.

Using a tool called metagenomics, Chiu’s team does genetic sequencing of every microbe found in the wastewater from two San Francisco collection locations, including one that’s connected to San Francisco International Airport. That’s important to our region, as overseas travelers can introduce dangerous new diseases.
With time, it will tell public health departments that they must rush vaccines to an area, deploy masks or staff up hospitals.

“Now that we’re on the tail end of the COVID pandemic,” said Chiu, “our other endemic viruses will start becoming more common again.

“Wastewater surveillance is a microcosm of what’s happening in the community.”

ballettmaus

I haven't been able to keep up with this forum so apologies if it has come up in the other thread but has anyone come across information about the Omicron specific vaccine? Why did they focus on a second booster of the original when an Omicron specific one would be much more useful?

once_upon

I haven't been able to keep up with this forum so apologies if it has come up in the other thread but has anyone come across information about the Omicron specific vaccine? Why did they focus on a second booster of the original when an Omicron specific one would be much more useful?
It is my understanding that Moderna and Pfizer have been working on it, that Moderna may be closer to it than Pfizer. It takes time to establish data and results, and with a second wave of Omicron varient b.2 the focus was on boosting the more vulnerable population that may have recieved the first booster 6 months or earlier.

Novavac still hasn't has gotten EUA - I think because they want full FDA approval. I'm not sure what their % of immunity to Omicron is as Omicron mutated after some of their data research.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information