The Medical Thread: Vaccine Search / Staying Healthy / Treatments Etc

Louis

Private citizen
I got my booster today. For doses 1 and 2, I was in and out of the vaccine center in < 10 minutes. For the booster, the queue for booked appointments was 45 minutes long. Many people were turning up without appointments and getting miffed at being turned away. (Walk-ins are allowed, capacity permitting, but I guess people missed the caveat.) The volunteers running the vaccination center said yesterday was the first day of really long lines - probably because the booking system opened up to all over 40s (not just those especially vulnerable) on Wednesday. I continue to :rolleyes: at people smoking in the line. I was going to say something, but the freaking volunteers were smoking, too. Anyway, I think the crowds are a really good sign that people are jumping on the booster bandwagon.

I could choose my booster, which surprised me. I had done no research at all because I didn't think the NHS was allowing people to choose. A quick Google search yielded one study where Pfizer was 32x more effective and Moderna 25x more effective, so I chose Pfizer. It seemed like 90% of people were choosing Pfizer. Maybe they were googling, too.

I had to wait for 15 minutes after getting my vaccine, which I did not have to do for either of the first two doses. No one was really monitoring, though. No social distancing anywhere, indoors or out. No masks outdoors - though most (including me) were wearing them (there's a testing center in the same facility, so I figure I'm in close proximity to people who think they have C19); masks required indoors, but many people not wearing properly including the volunteers.

I am weirdly - for the second time (also happened with the first dose) - having pain in the arm that was not injected :lol:. Maybe my right arm is where my modicum of sympathy lives.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
I was originally a bit miffed to have been given AZ for the first 2 vaccinations here in France.
However, now it seems that was a good thing.
The 2 AZ + yesterday's Pfizer, gives apparently, one of the highest degrees of protection, both in antibodies and the secondary line of defence, the B & T cells.

I also had Covid in Sept 2020.
So, I would imagine that I am mega protected.

I had minor allergic reactions to all 3 jabs which were manageable with high levels of antihistamines fortunately.
I've previously had anaphylactic shock, so not that surprising.

I've had a much bigger reaction to the Pfizer than to the first 2 AZ shots.
The pain in my arm has been very noticeable and was uncomfortable sleeping.
I've been very tired and had a headache.

I am however, very pleased to have had a strong reaction to the 3rd jab, it makes me feel like my immune system is doing its job well :)

Last edited:

Judy

I don't know if my city is offering a choice between Moderna/pfizer for boosters. My priority would be with my autistic sister and getting her the booster. I'll need to speak with my younger sister about that.

ballettmaus

I've had a much bigger reaction to the Pfizer than to the first 2 AZ shots.
My reaction to the 3rd shot was about the same as it was to the 2nd. (All 3 of mine were Pfizer). Basically, I felt like I was coming down with the flu minus the lack of energy/tiredness for about 24 hrs. It was manageable enough that I didn't take anything (the worst seemed to be during the night anyway) but not entirely pleasant and I kept thinking that if YKW is worse than that then I really don't want it.

Most people who I know got Pfizer and I had one of the strongest reactions to it. Most everyone didn't have a reaction at all.

sk8nlizard

I had my booster (3 Pfizer’s) yesterday, felt fine all evening and this morning til about 11. My arm is very sore, I have a swollen lymph node in my arm pit and I have terrible chills but no fever. This is fairly similar to what I had if you combine my first and second shots. However, I also had “the vid” in September and I have Lupus. I’m actually glad to have a bit of a reaction as I know some people with autoimmune issues didn’t make antibodies. I am getting ready to bundle up under the covers and go to bed.

Both my kids got their first shots this week. My son had a sore arm and was very tired (he’s 10) and my daughter had a sore arm and a headache (she’s 8). Both my kids also had “the vid” in September, my oldest brought it home from school! His was super mild, one day of a runny nose and my daughters was like a terrible head cold, sore throat, high fever (104) for 3-4 days and a bad headache. Not sure if that’s why they had some reactions to the vax or not, but it was nothing that stopped them from doing anything!

Hedwig

WoolSilk Fanatic
booster baby baby :cheer: :cheer2:

I just got boostered with Moderna (first two Pfizer) - very good orga at the sports centre in my immediate neighbourhood. They do 240 vaccinations a day, only give out appointment 48h in advance. Two doctors and about 10 people for organisation - everything run very smoothly. The guy before me got his first vax - I am always happy if I hear about more first vaccinations.

Sylvia

Rooting for underdogs!
^^^ @acraven posted the same research yesterday in the News thread (quoting/copying over):
This is an interesting, very brief article contrasting the Omicron variant to Delta. Some of the information is from not-yet-peer-reviewed studies.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/*********-science-omicron-thrives-in-airways-not-lungs-new-data-on-asymptomatic-cases/ar-AARQUPx?ocid=msedgntp [link should work]

Key points include:

Compared to Delta, "Omicron multiplies itself 70 times more quickly in tissues that line airway passages, which may facilitate person-to-person spread... But in lung tissues, Omicron replicates 10 times more slowly than the original version of the ********, which might contribute to less-severe illness."

The leader of a ********* study in Hong Kong is quoted as pointing out that the severity of disease is also affected by the individual's immune response, which can lead to "life-threatening inflammation". He also said, "By infecting many more people, a very infectious ***** may cause more severe disease and death even though the ***** itself may be less pathogenic."
Link to a summary of the Hong Kong study:
‘It is important to note that the severity of disease in humans is not determined only by virus replication but also by the host immune response to the infection, which may lead to dysregulation of the innate immune system, i.e. “cytokine storm”,’ said Dr Chan. ‘It is also noted that, by infecting many more people, a very infectious virus may cause more severe disease and death even though the virus itself may be less pathogenic. Therefore, taken together with our recent studies showing that the Omicron variant can partially escape immunity from vaccines and past infection, the overall threat from Omicron variant is likely to be very significant.’

Judy

^^^ @acraven posted the same research yesterday in the News thread (quoting/copying over):

Link to a summary of the Hong Kong study:
My link is specifically about the vaccines though?

Sylvia

Rooting for underdogs!
My link is specifically about the vaccines though?
Sorry, I saw "Hong Kong" instead of reading all the way through - this is the press release linked in the article:
Researchers at the Department of Microbiology of the University of Hong Kong (HKU) have found that most individuals after given two doses of the vaccine (either BioNtech or Coronavac) do not produce sufficient levels of serum antibodies against the new Omicron virus variant. The public is advised to get a third dose of the vaccine as soon as possible while awaiting for the next generation of more matched vaccine. The results of the study have been accepted for publication in the medical journal Clinical Infectious Diseases. It is available online as a preprint.

"The draft study was led by renowned researcher Dr. David Ho and early evidence suggests the lightning quick-spreading strain is likely to cause a massive wave of so-called breakthrough infections even among fully vaccinated people." - summary in this NY Daily News article:
Link to the preprint "Striking Antibody Evasion Manifested by the Omicron Variant of SARS-CoV-2" (Dec. 15, 2021) by Dr. David Ho et al.:
" We found B.1.1.529 to be markedly resistant to neutralization by serum not only
from convalescent patients, but also from individuals vaccinated with one of the four widely
used COVID-19 vaccines. Even serum from persons vaccinated and boosted with mRNA-based
vaccines exhibited substantially diminished neutralizing activity against B.1.1.529."

Last edited:

Judy

Sorry, I saw "Hong Kong" instead of reading all the way through - this is the press release linked in the article:

"The draft study was led by renowned researcher Dr. David Ho and early evidence suggests the lightning quick-spreading strain is likely to cause a massive wave of so-called breakthrough infections even among fully vaccinated people." - summary in this NY Daily News article:
Link to the preprint "Striking Antibody Evasion Manifested by the Omicron Variant of SARS-CoV-2" (Dec. 15, 2021) by Dr. David Ho et al.:
" We found B.1.1.529 to be markedly resistant to neutralization by serum not only
from convalescent patients, but also from individuals vaccinated with one of the four widely
used *********-19 vaccines. Even serum from persons vaccinated and boosted with mRNA-based
vaccines exhibited substantially diminished neutralizing activity against B.1.1.529."
That really sucks.

Orm Irian

Here's a little good news: researchers in South Africa looking at T-cell responses to Omicron have produced some initial findings, which suggest that even after only two doses of Pfizer vaccine, T-cell responses to the Omicron variant stay strong. This means that even though Omicron can evade antibodies to some extent and thus is more likely to get into your system, the body has more resources to fight it off effectively once it's in.

Of course these are only early results, but good news is always welcome.

Vagabond

can you summarize? I cannot read it :-(
Does it say that the under 5 will come even later?
I'm not certain, but I think that this that this is the article, though the link may still not work:

A low dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech . . . vaccine did not produce a potent immune response in children 2 through 5 years of age, the companies announced on Friday, a discouraging setback that threatens to keep the vaccine from younger children for longer than many parents had hoped.

In ongoing clinical trials, the companies tested 3 micrograms of the vaccine — one-tenth of the adult dose — in children 6 months to less than 5 years of age. After two doses, children between 6 months and 2 years produced an immune response that was comparable to that of people aged 16 to 25 years, the companies said. But children between 2- and 5-years-old did not.

The companies said they now would test a third low dose of the . . . vaccine in children 6 months to under 5 years of age. But they do not plan to test a higher dose of the vaccine in children between 2 and 5 years of age.
@oleada FSU won't allow you to link to webpages that have words like "divoc" spelled backwards in the URL. You can use tinyurl to solve that problem.

JasperBoy

Stayin inside
I realized today that I am afraid of the Omicron variant. The earlier types didn't faze me. I stayed home, wore a mask in public and was fully vaccinated. Besides which, my health region was the least affected in the province.
Omicron is different, and much more transmissible. It is now rampant on Vancouver Island, thanks to a University team bringing it back from a tournament in Ontario.
For me, it is back to square one, April 2020, with all the precautions and then some.
The fact that I am fully vaccinated and have had a booster helps ease my anxiety. But I am going to cancel all my plans to travel to Greater Vancouver over the holidays to visit family and friends.
I agree with everyone who has said, "Will this ever end?"

sk9tingfan

Two of the latest CRUD-related stories:

Southwest CEO tests positive despite full vaccination and testifying that masks on flights do not achieve anything in terms of protection

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I realized today that I am afraid of the Omicron variant. The earlier types didn't faze me. I stayed home, wore a mask in public and was fully vaccinated.
I was more afraid before I got vaccinated. I didn't want to bring it home and give it to Mr. Mac who has a lot of co-morbidities. But we're both triple-dosed now so I'm still doing all the things. I might test before Nationals because my sister isn't vaccinated and I don't want to give it to her and have her bring it home and kill her FIL.

skategal

Bunny mama
We are being careful because no one in the family is eligible yet for a booster (we are in mid-January) and our son won’t be eligible for his second dose until the end of January.

If we were all boosted and fully vaccinated, I wouldn’t be as worried but until then, we are reducing our contacts and socializing.

once_upon

Believer in woman's right to own healthcare decisi
We went to Sam's today for our every other month trip.
We got a couple of test kits (each contain 2 tests) for our trip to Denver. The shelves were almost empty of tests.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information