The Medical Thread: Vaccine Search / Staying Healthy / Treatments Etc

Judy

It’s approved by Health Canada and Theresa Tam is giving the NACI recommendations right now. :cheer2:

Recommending a 8 week interval between doses.

Nice to see some coordination.

:sekret: was correct. :respec:
Ottawa is saying doses will begin in about 4 weeks.

Hedwig

WoolSilk Fanatic
what are the experience with children's vaccinations so far? I barely read anything which is probably a good sign? Any reports about any unexpected side effects?

Judy

I think they mean it will take 4 weeks to get doses to the all the 5-11 year olds in the Ottawa area. Doses should be starting sometime next week.
this was the comment I read this morning: Ottawa Public Health officials have said it will take four weeks to offer first doses to the 77,000 children in the city between age five and 11.

i hadn't looked at other media .. maybe not the best sentence?

skatingguy

this was the comment I read this morning: Ottawa Public Health officials have said it will take four weeks to offer first doses to the 77,000 children in the city between age five and 11.

i hadn't looked at other media .. maybe not the best sentence
It looks like the plan is to administer the first doses over the course of 4 weeks in the Ottawa area.

Judy

Dave of the North

My eyebrows portray the suffering
We had our booster shots Friday. Mrs Dave had almost no side effects; I felt subpar on Saturday and my arm is still a bit sore today. I had some sniffles on Friday before the shot so I put that on the form I filled out, but she didn't ask about them. The form did ask if I'd had the flu shot within the previous two weeks.

Judy

Canada will revive first doses of Pfizer on Sunday for kids 5-11. :respec:
The anti vaxxers are going wild on social media. I get a news feed from local media station and they do a poll.

Everyone I know is excited to get their kids vaccinated .. friends, neighbours etc.

Aceon6

Isolating from mean people
They just said in the Canada press conference that 2.5 million kids aged 5-11 in the USA have already received Pfizer with no serious side effects detected. :cheer2:
About 20,000 kids in Massachusetts were vaccinated in the first full week. Sore arms, low grade fever and lethargy were the most reported side effects. None had allergic or other reactions requiring medical intervention.

hoptoad

Does anyone know if the dosing recommendation for the Moderna vaccine has changed recently?

I got a third dose yesterday at CVS. I was expecting a half-dose, i.e. 50 mL as opposed to the 100 mL first and second doses, so I was surprised when the person administering the shot said as she was doing it that it was a quarter dose. I said I thought it was half and she said, "nope, a quarter." She just wrote "3rd dose" on my vaccination card. :confused:

It probably doesn't make any real difference, but I can't seem to stop obsessing over it. I haven't seen anything in the news about the specific amounts recently, but some googling brought up this from the FDA, which gives the primary dose as 50 mL and the booster as 25 mL.

Am I misremembering that the original Moderna dose was 100 mL? None of the recent reporting about boosters that I've seen even mentions the amount.

Edited to add this article:

As for the dose, initial Moderna vaccination consists of two 100-microgram shots. But Moderna says a single 50-microgram shot should be enough for a booster.

The agency convened its experts to weigh in on who should get boosters and when for those who received the Moderna and Johnson & Johnson shots earlier this year. The panel will discuss J&J on Friday.

The FDA will use its advisers’ recommendations in making final decisions for boosters from both companies. Assuming a positive decision, there’s still another hurdle: Next week, a panel convened by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention will offer more specifics on who should get one.

Many U.S. scientists remain divided about exactly who needs boosters and their purpose — whether they’re needed mostly for people at risk of severe disease or whether they should be used to try to reduce milder infections, too.

The FDA panel wrestled with whether Moderna presented enough evidence backing its low-dose booster.

As the delta variant surged in July and August, a Moderna study found people who were more recently vaccinated had a 36% lower rate of “breakthrough” infections compared with those vaccinated longer ago.

Last edited:

Barbara Manatee

The Moderna booster is definitely a half dose, not a quarter. Sounds like she was equating volume and dosage. But I assume she still took .25mL out of the vial, so you should be good to go. In your place I'd probably call CVS to confirm, for the peace of mind. And to clue her in before she worries more people.

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
@hoptoad I was confused as well, but the Moderna booster is definitely .25 ml which is half. A primary dose is .5 ml per the EUA fact sheet.
Yes, the Moderna 0.25 ml booster is a half does (50 micrograms vs the 100 micrograms in each of the first two shots; Pfizer booster is the same as the initial 30 micrograms in each of the first two does.

Speaking of Moderna booster shots, I got mine 3 hours ago. :)

Last edited:

hoptoad

Thanks for the replies.

I just noticed the units in the second article are different - it says "two 100-micrograms shots." Maybe that's part of my confusion.

I usually don't obsess over stuff like this, but I don't like being surprised about medical matters either. I'm just happy to be done for now!

hoptoad

Yes, the Moderna 0.25 ml booster is a half does (50 micrograms vs the 100 micrograms in each of the first two shotsPfizer booster is the same as the initial 30 micrograms in each of the first two does.

Speaking of Moderna booster shots, I got mine 3 hours ago. :)
Thanks! I was expecting a number like one half, or 50 something, so the "one quarter" and .25 sounded off to me.

FSU truly knows everything!

Parsley Sage

In Ontario, you can book appointments for kids 5-11 starting Tuesday Nov 23 at 8am through the provincial portal.

Looks like appointments will start on Thursday the 25. Ontario will follow the NACI recommendation of 8 weeks between doses.

Lara

It's JJ style!
Appointments opened in Quebec for 5-11 year olds today. Very happy for my close friend and labmates who have kids! (Unfortunately too late for one who did test positive following a school exposure but luckily had no major symptoms.)

Louis

Private citizen
Curious about the claims made in this article (which is from the Telegraph - right-leaning source) about the Astra Zeneca potentially providing stronger long-term protection.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/busines...k-mock-britains-p*demic-strategy-astrazeneca/ (behind a paywall, so I will quote liberally)

The article clearly has an agenda, but agenda aside, does anyone know if there is truth to the claims in bold?

Premise of the article (whether true or not remains to be seen):
Whether by pandemic foresight or serendipity, the UK was right after all to ignore the World Health Organisation and let Covid-19 spread in a semi-controlled fashion through the summer and early autumn.

This policy was deemed reckless by Europe's leaders and media. Yet the effect was to pull forward infections before vaccine immunity faded and to spread the strain across several months, allowing the virus to burn through the remaining pockets of the unvaccinated before the NHS winter crunch.

It was a variant of the original Vallance concept of herd immunity, this time executed at the right moment. Covid hospital cases peaked at 9,661 in early November and have since fallen to 8,079.

Potentially very interesting finding below - I would love informed opinions (or any opinions) on it, and any additional research that supports or refutes it:

Pascal Soriot, AstraZeneca’s chief executive, came very close to saying on the BBC Today programme that the startling divergence in hospitalisation rates is because the messenger RNA vaccines mostly used in Europe - Pfizer-BioNTech and the Moderna - offer less protection where it really matters.

There has always been a misleading focus on ‘efficacy’ rates. The mRNA vaccines score better under this quick and dirty measure of antibodies, catching the ‘frontline fighters’ that act fastest. It is much harder to determine the crucial levels of cell memory protection from the heavy artillery: B and T cells. These take time to kick into action but they last longer are a critical part of the defence.

“Everybody focussed on antibodies but these antibodies decline over time. What remains is the T-cell response,” he said.

“This vaccine has been shown to stimulate a T-cell response to a higher degree in older people. We haven’t seen a lot of hospitalisations in the UK. A lot of infections to be sure, but what matters is how ill you are,” he said.

Immunologists long thought it likely that AstraZeneca’s adenovirus jab would have stronger cell memory. That supposition has been fleshed out by research over recent months, notably a study in Nature Immunology by scientists from Oxford and Swiss universities.

Professor Paul Klenerman from Oxford said they had discovered that adenovirus vectors can target stromal cells in the lung, generating antigen deposits that keep the immune system pepped up for a long time. It had been thought that these cells were just an ‘inert scaffold’. In fact they are key players.

Right now, the possibility that AstraZeneca has come up trumps is not in the mental universe of Europe’s political class, where the concept of T-cell memory has never really been understood.

I'd love to see independent verification (or repudiation) of this, not from Astra Zeneca's CEO, Oxford U, or the Telegraph.

Aceon6

Isolating from mean people
DH has batshit crazy relatives! Everyone on my side of the family signed up for boosters the first week, so every adult is fully triple vaxxed, the teens are double, and the under 12s all have had their first shot. DH’s relatives are just getting around to their 3rd shots, despite having an immune compromised person in the house. I guess they were in no rush because they had a bubble Thanksgiving, but, geez, keep up people! Looks like we won’t be seeing them until mid December at the earliest and by then, my side will be mad holiday busy.

Hedwig

WoolSilk Fanatic
the European Union has finally approved Biontech/Pfizer for 5-11 as well. I am so relieved. It is still a cluster**** because the small vials for children will only be available at the end of December.
Yes, of course, take your time. It isn't as if we don't have the worst surge of corona like in forever and the hospitals are so full that patients have to be take to hospitals several hundreds of kilometers from their home town. Let's infect all the children so that we have a better chance of herd immunity since the anti-vaxxers need to be treated cautiously and there cannot be a vaccination demand for these poor misguided souls :mad:

I hope that we will get someone to vaccinate Mini Hedwig for that date. It will need a third of a dose for adults so the small vials are not really needed - they are just more convenient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information