The Medical Thread: Vaccine Search / Staying Healthy / Treatments Etc

once_upon

Vaccinated
I'm getting hopeful that kids will begin to get vaccinated by mid November. Hopefully there will be enough vaccine available as soon as it is approved. My grandchildren pediatrician is practice associated with a Children's Hospital. Reporting tonight indicated that mass vaccination sites are not likely, but smaller clinics, doctor offices and Children's hospitals.

I've also read that Pfizer is saying they have promising results for age 1-4 years.

My grandchildren parents are on team vaccinate ASAP

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
The Pfizer booster is a full dose (right?) whereas the Moderna booster is only half a dose (correct?) So do you feel that the Moderna half-dose will still be more effective than the Pfizer full-dose?

My husband and I both got Pfizer and will be eligible for boosters soon, so I'm just trying to figure out which to get.

I saw an article about boosters today in WaPo, but it didn't really address this specific issue.

Here is the logic: The research has shown that the Moderna booster is much better for those who got J&J. For those who got Pfizer, Moderna was also better, but they weren't sure if it would be much better with the half dose, but the half dose of Moderna is still a larger dose than the full dose of Pfizer so the logic tracks. It will at least not be any worse and we felt it was worth trying it being better since it is still the higher dose.

VALuvsMKwan

Wandering Goy
Just got my Pfizer booster - was going to get the first Shingrix vaccine as well but there was something about my insurance and payment, so I didn't.

I had told a coworker beforehand that I planned to get both and his reaction was :eek: since the first Shingrix alone gave him a substantial reaction when he took it, so just as well. I have a checkup scheduled in a couple of weeks with my Primary Care Physician, so perhaps I can get it then.

once_upon

Vaccinated
Just got my Pfizer booster - was going to get the first Shingrix vaccine as well but there was something about my insurance and payment, so I didn't.

I had told a coworker beforehand that I planned to get both and his reaction was :eek: since the first Shingrix alone gave him a substantial reaction when he took it, so just as well. I have a checkup scheduled in a couple of weeks with my Primary Care Physician, so perhaps I can get it then.
Our physicians offices can give the Shingrix vaccine but they recommend it be given in the pharmacy. The doctors office say it is over $300 for them to give it.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
I now have 2 appointments for a Moderna booster, one less conveniently located Friday afternoon and one more conveniently located next Tuesday afternoon.

Among the advantages of the week from Tuesday appointment is it's right at my supermarket so I can buy my traditional celebratory box of donuts with no difficulty.

Donuts are a powerful incentive, so I'll probably cancel the Friday afternoon appointment and gamble that I won't catch anything between Friday and the following Tuesday, and that I won't have any immediate nasty reactions because I have a Zoom visit scheduled for that Tuesday at 3 PM.

It's astonishing how complicated my incredibly uncomplicated life can be.

VALuvsMKwan

Wandering Goy
Our physicians offices can give the Shingrix vaccine but they recommend it be given in the pharmacy. The doctors office say it is over $300 for them to give it.
Thanks for the feedback - I am not sure what was going on today, as my coworker who has the same insurance that I do got his Shingrix vaccine at the same pharmacy chain that I visited today (but perhaps at a location with an inhouse clinic, which the location I visited today does not).

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
This is not true, my son is allergic to eggs and has received the flu shot.

I’m due for my booster next week! I’ll probably wait until after Halloween though.
Medicine is an evolving science, but based on these recommendations, people with egg allergies no longer need to be observed for an allergic reaction for 30 minutes after receiving a flu vaccine.

Judy

I got my flu shot this morning. Strategically received it in my right arm vs my left so my dogs wouldn't hit it sleeping with me at night (If I don't hit it then it is painless lol).

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Supreme Court and Maine mandates on vaccination.

Completely and utterly expected. These lawyers who are going on tv to say vaccine mandates are unconstitutional are either knowingly lying or idiots.

Aceon6

Isolating from mean people
I’m back from my Moderna booster. The difference between shots 1/2 and this one is that it took longer and hurt more. For 1/2, I went to a mass vaccination site staffed by EMTs who were each doing 100 shots a day every day. For this one, I got a registered pharmacist who does shots on Saturday afternoons. Suboptimal, but done.

clairecloutier

I’m back from my Moderna booster. The difference between shots 1/2 and this one is that it took longer and hurt more. For 1/2, I went to a mass vaccination site staffed by EMTs who were each doing 100 shots a day every day. For this one, I got a registered pharmacist who does shots on Saturday afternoons. Suboptimal, but done.

This is why I'm nervous about getting a booster from a non-medical professional. The one time I got a flu shot at Target instead of at the doctor's office, it seemed to hurt a lot more (could have been psychosomatic, though, IDK).

It turns out that our hospital system (Beth Israel Lahey) is still running a few vaccine clinics on weekends, so I'm going to try and book there if possible for booster shots.

sk8pics

This is why I'm nervous about getting a booster from a non-medical professional. The one time I got a flu shot at Target instead of at the doctor's office, it seemed to hurt a lot more (could have been psychosomatic, though, IDK).
Some pharmacists are good at giving shots, others not so good. Same for nurses. And people who draw blood.

FWIW, my Moderna booster did not cause any side effects other than a sore arm, and even that was not as bad as what happened with the first shot. With the second one, I was sick with chills and then a fever for about 30 hours.

Hedwig

WoolSilk Fanatic
Any news from the CDC regarding children that have yet to make it over the ocean?

Aceon6

Isolating from mean people
Any news from the CDC regarding children that have yet to make it over the ocean?
The final CDC meeting is tomorrow, then Wollensky needs to issue the final orders, so I’m guessing Wednesday with shots in arms as early as Thursday.

Last edited:

Spikefan

At the Hubbell Salon
Just came back from getting my Moderna booster, so far so good but I felt ok after JJ until several hours later. A guy before me was having a bad reaction to his booster, so hot and sweaty he took his shirt off. :eek: I left right as they were coming to check his vitals as it was going to send me into a panic attack.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
I got my Moderna booster (the pharmacist was an artiste of needles) at the supermarket having gotten there a few minutes early to buy the requisite carton of donuts.

When I got home I sent the booster announcement complete with donut carton photo to a number of friends, two of whom asked if the supermarket gave me the donuts.

Heck, they gave me the booster. I think that was sufficient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information