The Medical Thread: Vaccine Search / Staying Healthy / Treatments Etc

Judy

“Most adults can have the flu vaccine, but you should avoid it if you have had a serious allergic reaction to a flu vaccine in the past.”
Above is a quote from the UK’s site. You have a point, that they seem to recommend it for at risk groups (people over 50, healthcare workers, etc.) more so than the general public. However, living in the US and having mine every year, I never had any side effects besides a slight soreness at the injection site. They asked me whether I had ever had an adverse reaction to it when I went in a few days ago. Makes me wonder how common adverse reactions are. But I feel like a lot of people get them every year in the US; it’s one of the relatively few things I use my healthcare plan for. A 60 plus year old colleague of mine got his for the first time in his life this year because his doctor recommended it; no problem. I wouldn’t get it if I knew I’d have significant side effects though- they showed a list of possible ones, including fever, before I signed my consent. I didn’t feel like it was pushed on me; in fact the info sheet warnings would have made me think twice if I hadn’t already had it many times. Anyway, I’m glad the flu, the one that drains people’s energy for weeks with high fever, doesn’t seem to circulate that much. I was always catching the office cold before *********; if influenza circulated back then I could have caught it too.
If you're,allergic to eggs then the flu shot should be avoided. I personally don't know anyone that has ever had a reaction.

once_upon

Vaccinated
If you're,allergic to eggs then the flu shot should be avoided. I personally don't know anyone that has ever had a reaction.
There are egg free vaccines available now. My granddaughter has a severe reaction to eggs and as far as I know has never reacted to flu shots or nasal spray vaccines. Our friend who is allergic to eggs just takes Benadryl.

In 1976 (I think it was 1976, maybe 1975) a rare reaction called Gillian Barre Syndrome was associated with that year's flu shot. Since then you are asked about any similar type of reaction.

I've gotten flu shots every year since ~1982, when gasp it was mandated by my employer for direct healthcare providers.

I got influenza b in 2008, following attending US Nationals - sitting next to someone spewing/coughing respiratory droplets and running a high fever (she spent money on those tickets and she was going to be there regardless). That was a year that influenza A was accurately determined, but the influenza B strain was not. I never want to be that sick ever again. 104-105 temp, delirious, muscle aches, headache from hell, coughing so hard we thought I broke a rib. As I said I never want to be that sick again.

I will absolutely 💯 get flu and c0vid vaccines.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap

That is no longer a recommendation for the flu vaccine has no reaction from anyone with an egg allergy has been seen. That is why the NHS website does not mention that recommendation.

Judy

That is no longer a recommendation for the flu vaccine has no reaction from anyone with an egg allergy has been seen. That is why the NHS website does not mention that recommendation.
I just know I am always asked before getting the shot. I'm Canadian so haven't a clue about different countries. I'm not allergic to eggs .. or anything .. so it's never been something I thought much about.

FiveRinger

When I started getting the flu vaccine, they used to ask if you were allergic to either latex (which I developed an allergy to in the last few years) and eggs. When I discovered the allergy, I was concerned and asked, but by that time they said the vaccine was ok for people who are allergic to latex. Today, at the doctor's office, no one mentioned eggs at all, probably because I didn't list eggs as an allergy. But vaccines now are safe for the vast portion of the population unless you are allergic to the drug itself.

I will say that the flu vaccine burns while being administered. I don't remember any other vaccine being that uncomfortable going in. The ********* vaccine and the tetanus shot I got today were sore later, but I didn't feel those at all. Go figure.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
However, living in the US and having mine every year, I never had any side effects besides a slight soreness at the injection site. They asked me whether I had ever had an adverse reaction to it when I went in a few days ago. Makes me wonder how common adverse reactions are
In the US, every time I've gotten any kind of vaccination as an adult, I've been asked if I've ever had an adverse reaction to any shot.

The only shots I'd gotten in Canada were flu shots, always at a Shoppers branch. And I was asked that question each time.

love skating

Clueless American
Took my mom to get the 3rd shot yesterday. So far she has had no ill effects except for a slightly sore arm (same as the last two shots).

As someone who got J&J I keep waiting to hear more about what we should do. I suspect given that recent study of giving a second shot having good results will lead us to get a second J&J shot. We shall see.

flyingsit

Took my mom to get the 3rd shot yesterday. So far she has had no ill effects except for a slightly sore arm (same as the last two shots).

As someone who got J&J I keep waiting to hear more about what we should do. I suspect given that recent study of giving a second shot having good results will lead us to get a second J&J shot. We shall see.
The CDC advisory committee will be debating Moderna boosters on Oct. 15, J&J boosters a few days later, and Pfizer for age 5-11 on Oct. 26.

Vagabond

The drug maker Merck said on Friday that its pill to treat [you-know-what] was shown in a key clinical trial to halve the risk of hospitalization or death when given to high-risk people early in their infections.

The strong results suggest that a new wave of effective and easy-to-use treatments for [you-know-what] will gradually become available in the United States, though supply is likely to be limited at first. Merck said it would seek emergency authorization from the Food and Drug Administration for its drug, known as molnupiravir, as soon as possible. The pills could be available by late this year.
This is good news, but I hope no one uses the anticipated availability of this and similar medications as a reason not to get vaccinated.

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....

This is good news, but I hope no one uses the anticipated availability of this and similar medications as a reason not to get vaccinated.
I share your concern. It is the same “logic” of a lot of people who wear masks say they don’t have to get the shot.

Judy

I am happy about this. Although I don't have kids I ❤️ kids.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/loca...******-19-vaccines-for-children-once-approved

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I am fine with people who won't get vaccinated having medicine that will keep them from dying and (hopefully) out of the hospital. If this thing is going to reach endemic status, we need stuff like that. We need for this thing to be "no worse than the flu." I would prefer people get vaccinated because it will cut down on mutations but we know it's not going to go away 100% so we have to make it something we can live with.

Judy

In the US, every time I've gotten any kind of vaccination as an adult, I've been asked if I've ever had an adverse reaction to any shot.

The only shots I'd gotten in Canada were flu shots, always at a Shoppers branch. And I was asked that question each time.
I will let you know when I go. I haven't done it at a pharmacy and I don't remember that part from last year what I was asked etc.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Smithsonian has an article about the antiviral medication that's going through trials.

One of the reasons doctors and scientists are excited about molnupiravir is that it would be taken orally, meaning if you test positive for *********, you could stop by your local pharmacy, pick up the pills and take them at home. This would mean you could start taking them almost immediately after testing positive for the disease—before it ravaged much of your body. You’d need to take four pills twice a day for five days—a total of 40 pills.

In the clinical trial, Merck gave molnupiravir to individuals who developed symptoms in the last five days and were considered to be at high risk for severe illness, like those over the age of 60 or who had preexisting conditions such as heart disease or diabetes. The drug cut the risk of hospitalization in half: about 14.1 percent of patients who took a placebo ended up in the hospital compared to only 7.3 percent of those who were given molnupiravir. No one who took the drug died, but eight who were given a placebo did...

All of the molnupiravir’s trial participants were unvaccinated. Steinberg explains that this was a strategic decision to expedite data collection. “They wanted to show that it prevented hospitalization and death. If you were working with a vaccinated population, you would need a much bigger study group and more time to show the effect,” she says, because even those in the placebo group would be unlikely to get severely ill if they were previously vaccinated.

Since the trial only included these patients, Gandhi says the FDA’s authorization may only cover unvaccinated patients, but once it’s approved “all bets are off,” and doctors can prescribe it to the patients they think will benefit. Steinberg adds that since antivirals and vaccines work differently, “there’ll be no reason why you couldn’t,” use an antiviral drug if you’re vaccinated and have a breakthrough infection.

Hedwig

WoolSilk Fanatic
Is there an idea when the US will authorize Binontech Pfizer for 5-11?
The asked the EMA for approval as well and that is expected to take several months 😱

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
I stopped by my pharmacy at HEB tonight and they said the Moderna booster will be available soon. I want it yesterday.

skategal

Bunny mama
The asked the EMA for approval as well and that is expected to take several months 😱
My friend in Utah told me that their county is letting parents pre-register their kids and are expecting a November roll-out.

Canada got the submission yesterday and our Provincial Medical Officer of Heath told us to expect a January roll-out. My spies have told me December so we’ll see…..

flyingsit

The advisory committee meeting is scheduled for October 26, so I expect the EUA to come with 72 hours after that. The administration is already distributing the pediatric shots around the country in preparation.

My friend in Utah told me that their county is letting parents pre-register their kids and are expecting a November roll-out.

Canada got the submission yesterday and our Provincial Medical Officer of Heath told us to expect a January roll-out. My spies have told me December so we’ll see…..
BC has started registering 5-11 year olds for shots. Late November-December is what I’ve seen for when it’s expected they can start administering the vaccines.

maureenfarone

I'm older and have other health issues like diabetes so I think I will be eligible for a Moderna booster shot when they become available. Recently I realized that I have never had a Tdap vaccine. I think I had a tetanus shot before knee surgery in 2010 but it was only tetanus.

Does anyone know if I get a Tdap vaccination whether I would have to wait to get the Moderna booster? The stuff I've found on Dr. Google leads me to believe that Tdap is not live viruses and I wouldn't have to postpone getting the Moderna booster. I'm not a medical professional so I'm hoping for some advice on this subject. I hate to keep postponing the Tdap vaccination since the Ohio General Assembly is pushing towards eliminating mandatory vaccinations of any kind so I feel I have to do what I can to protect myself.

Judy

I'm older and have other health issues like diabetes so I think I will be eligible for a Moderna booster shot when they become available. Recently I realized that I have never had a Tdap vaccine. I think I had a tetanus shot before knee surgery in 2010 but it was only tetanus.

Does anyone know if I get a Tdap vaccination whether I would have to wait to get the Moderna booster? The stuff I've found on Dr. Google leads me to believe that Tdap is not live viruses and I wouldn't have to postpone getting the Moderna booster. I'm not a medical professional so I'm hoping for some advice on this subject. I hate to keep postponing the Tdap vaccination since the Ohio General Assembly is pushing towards eliminating mandatory vaccinations of any kind so I feel I have to do what I can to protect myself.
I haven't had a tetanus shot since I was a child I guess. I really should remember to ask my dr about that.

once_upon

Vaccinated

I had my TDaP vaccine and flu vaccine a week before my Pfizer booster. I would ask but I don't think it is an issue.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
I have an appointment this afternoon for my flu shot and the first dose of Shingrix.
Last year I had a vey mild case of shingles. So mild I didn't even think of it as shingles, but the five or six pocks were pretty painful. A friend of mine, 50, just got over a pretty severe case, his skin had several large areas of scars/redness. In other words, at 50, it's probably time to start getting your Shingles shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information