The Medical Thread: Vaccine Search / Staying Healthy / Treatments Etc

MacMadame

Staying at home
The Atlantic's daily newsletter is about waning immunity and what we know (and how it's not as bad as you think):

Your *********-19 booster shot might’ve just gotten bumped back a bit.

Last month, President Joe Biden set a mid-September launch goal for mRNA boosters, to be distributed eight months after the second shot for most American adults. But the CDC advisory committee tasked with recommending how Americans use the vaccines never gave the green light. Now, according to a New York Times report, health officials are advising the White House to rethink its plan.

One big problem is numbers: The FDA is still waiting on more data from vaccine makers, as well as some from Israel, where research on fading immunity spooked American officials into pushing for boosters in the first place.

The numbers are important here because they point to two questions underlying the whole strategy. Our staff writer Katherine J. Wu answered them in a new report, out today.

(1) Is waning immunity actually a crisis?

*********-19 shots continue to perform very well, particularly against the worst outcomes, such as hospitalization and death. “The recent numbers on vaccine effectiveness aren’t really that alarming,” Katie writes. And some of them could be explained not by anything to do with the immune system, but by the rise of the ********’s Delta variant, which didn’t exist when the vaccines were first designed.

(2) Can boosters fix it?

The immunological case just isn’t there yet, most experts told Katie. And each additional shot offers diminishing returns, meaning mass boosters are like “topping off a drink that’s already on the verge of spilling over” when “billions around the globe have yet to take a sip at all.”

Read Katie’s full explanation on waning immunity.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Questions for Canadians who got mixed vaccines. Are you able to get a vaccine passport or is it causing difficulties? Obviously aimed at those provinces who will do the passports.

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
This might be of some interest to the Australians. Novavax is going to start testing their combo crud/flu vaccine in Australia. It looks like they’re looking at this formulation for a booster and want people who were previously infected with ynw or who have already been vaccinated.

Their flu vaccine was in the works before YNW and is also close to going through regular approval. Because of that, they’re ahead of everyone else on the combo (because no one is granting an EUA for a flu vaccine anywhere).

https://ir.novavax.com/2021-09-08-N...ccine-for-*********-19-and-Seasonal-Influenza

manhn

Questions for Canadians who got mixed vaccines. Are you able to get a vaccine passport or is it causing difficulties? Obviously aimed at those provinces who will do the passports.

Do you mean the passports for the Canadian provinces? As a British Columbian who got mixed doses in BC, I can’t see there be a problem with that. I got my QR Code easy, there is no mention of what doses I got. I can’t see any of the provinces having issues with that. Was there a province who didn’t allow mixed doses?

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Do you mean the passports for the Canadian provinces? As a British Columbian who got mixed doses in BC, I can’t see there be a problem with that. I got my QR Code easy, there is no mention of what doses I got. I can’t see any of the provinces having issues with that. Was there a province who didn’t allow mixed doses?
Yes. Was just wondering because I was speaking with my daughter yesterday (in Ontario) and she seemed uncertain about her status based on something she heard as she got mixed doses. But she also said they keep going back and forth on the passport thing and then we started wondering when the next election is to get rid of Ford :lol:

skategal

Bunny mama
Yes. Was just wondering because I was speaking with my daughter yesterday (in Ontario) and she seemed uncertain about her status based on something she heard as she got mixed doses. But she also said they keep going back and forth on the passport thing and then we started wondering when the next election is to get rid of Ford :lol:
The National Advisory Commitee on Immunization put out a statement allowing for the mixing of vaccines so no province in Canada should have a problem with accepting that.

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
The US data continues to follow the curve fit I applied back in July. The blowoff peak was on August 27th with 196,283 cases which was close to what the curve indicated. The number of cases is definitely beginning to go down. The death curve is lagging the case curve by about three weeks as expected.

My only concern is that we could see a UK type of curve. There was the peak, a drop, then a slow increase again. I am going to work up such a scenario for the US and see what it gives.

Last edited:

Judy

All the provinces used mixed vaccines as far as I know. I got Moderna twice but my sister got Pfizer then Moderna.

Debbie S

Maryland Zoo is preparing to vaccinate certain animals (an animal-specific vaccine): https://tinyurl.com/3xf9rjbe

"We plan to vaccinate those species at the zoo that we have assessed to be most likely to contract SARS CoV-2, including the North American river otters, the chimpanzees and our cat species -- Amur leopard, cheetah, bobcat and lion," Bronson said. "Many of these animals are trained to participate in their own health care, meaning they willingly work with the animal care team and veterinary technicians to receive injections, and in some cases to even allow blood to be drawn and have ultrasound examinations performed while awake. The training avoids the need in some situations to anesthetize the animal for minor medical procedures."

Hedwig

WoolSilk Fanatic
what I hear more and more are people who want for "traditional" vaccines to be approved. Do you know if there is anything in the pipeline? I had huge hopes in Novavax but somehow they never seem to get started.
anything else that might be approved soon in Europe?
Is the Sputnik "traditional" btw?

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
what I hear more and more are people who want for "traditional" vaccines to be approved. Do you know if there is anything in the pipeline? I had huge hopes in Novavax but somehow they never seem to get started.
anything else that might be approved soon in Europe?
Is the Sputnik "traditional" btw?
What do you mean by "traditional" vaccines?

Miezekatze

Sputnik is a vector vaccine like AstraZeneca and J&J.

Valneva ist also a protein based vaccine like Novavax, but it also seems to not really getting ready or successful.

The UK had ordered Valneva, but just cancelled their order:

I think Novavax is still the most likely candidate.

Miezekatze

Yeah but that probably means that even when it gets approved it won't immediately be produced in large numbers.

So waiting for it probably isn't a good idea, especially when our health experts think that most unvaccinated adults will get infected until spring 2022.

skategal

Bunny mama
Novavax has said that they are focusing most of their efforts and supply on middle to low income countries.

It’s not a guarantee that it will be readily available in the Western World.

MsZem

Because of course they are:

No indication of how prevalent this may be. No links or screencaps documenting this supposed trend. I did find a few in another article, but nothing beyond the flimsiest anecdotal evidence - a few tweets and comments with basically zero engagement. Did Rolling Stone apply the same reporting standards they did with the "ERs overrun by people who OD'd on Ivermectin" story?

The gargling betadine/antiseptic story has been making the rounds, apparently - here's a fact check from May:
And even here there's little indication that people are actually using it in such a manner.

Last edited:

skatingguy

Golden Team
No indication of how prevalent this may be. No links or screencaps documenting this supposed trend. I did find a few in another article, but nothing beyond the flimsiest anecdotal evidence - a few tweets and comments with basically zero engagement. Did Rolling Stone apply the same reporting standards they did with the "ERs overrun by people who OD'd on Ivermectin" story?

The gargling betadine/antiseptic story has been making the rounds, apparently - here's a fact check from May:
And even here there's little indication that people are actually using it in such a manner.
I think it's gotten to the point now where any indication that one of these 'cures' is starting to trend & health officials are going to issue a statement instead of waiting for more wide spread usage like what happened with Ivermectin.

MsZem

I think it's gotten to the point now where any indication that one of these 'cures' is starting to trend & health officials are going to issue a statement instead of waiting for more wide spread usage like what happened with Ivermectin.
There's no statement from health officials in the Rolling Stone article and no evidence indicating that "Anti-Vaxxers Are Now Gargling Iodine to Prevent *********-19" - as I wrote, no links, no screencaps. You could similarly manufacture a story about a "trend" using posts from FSU that are representative of nothing.

The article is clickbait.

skatingguy

Golden Team
There's no statement from health officials in the Rolling Stone article and no indication that anyone is actually gargling with antiseptic to treat CV. I can manufacture a "trend" using posts from FSU that are representative of nothing.

The article is clickbait.
I wasn't referring to the Rolling Stone article, but to the 2nd article you linked.

MsZem

I wasn't referring to the Rolling Stone article, but to the 2nd article you linked.
I rephrased some stuff in my post so if you can quote the newer version, that would be great :)

The second article is legit, though even in that case it doesn't look like there were behavioral implications - the social media posts that they refer to seem to have gotten little interest, and it's possible that a lot of the Youtube views were either 1. bots or 2. people watching it for the LOLs.

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
Yeah but that probably means that even when it gets approved it won't immediately be produced in large numbers.

So waiting for it probably isn't a good idea, especially when our health experts think that most unvaccinated adults will get infected until spring 2022.
Part of getting issues resolved meant being able to produce in large numbers. They have worked out the manufacturing issues and have their qc assays validated.

They’re finalizing submission packages to regulatory agencies (and it will be available in the western world—fda has said they want this vaccine available here for the people who want it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information