The Medical Thread: Vaccine Search / Staying Healthy / Treatments Etc

sk8nlizard

My test results are back and I am positive (not a huge surprise, my son tested positive Friday and I started symptoms on Sunday). Anyways, my doctors are recommending the antibody treatment for me since I am high risk. Has anyone had it done, I’m really worried about side effects. So far, my ********* is fairly mild though I’ve heard about spikes around day 10.

AJ Skatefan

My test results are back and I am positive (not a huge surprise, my son tested positive Friday and I started symptoms on Sunday). Anyways, my doctors are recommending the antibody treatment for me since I am high risk. Has anyone had it done, I’m really worried about side effects. So far, my ********* is fairly mild though I’ve heard about spikes around day 10.
So sorry. I hope your treatment goes well

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap

I don't know anyone who has had it, but, coming out of the trials, I believe the result was that Regeneron was well tolerated although there were some allergic reactions. You should be able to ask your doctor about side effects. Is there a reason you are specifically worried?

The FDA list of side effects is pretty common for medications: Possible side effects include a sudden allergic reaction called anaphylaxis and IV-related reactions, fever, chills, hives, itching, and skin reddening or blotching.

Your doctors may have made this clear, but they are recommending the monoclonal antibody treatment because your symptoms are mild. It has a very good success rate, but it cannot be given when someone has severe illness. It is too late at that point. It needs to be given to people with mild/moderate illness who are in danger of developing severe illness.

Regeneron has had very good results, and certainly considering the possibilities if ********* progresses, I would advise a friend or family member to get it if suggested by their doctor.

sk8nlizard

I don't know anyone who has had it, but, coming out of the trials, I believe the result was that Regeneron was well tolerated although there were some allergic reactions. You should be able to ask your doctor about side effects. Is there a reason you are specifically worried?

The FDA list of side effects is pretty common for medications: Possible side effects include a sudden allergic reaction called anaphylaxis and IV-related reactions, fever, chills, hives, itching, and skin reddening or blotching.

Your doctors may have made this clear, but they are recommending the monoclonal antibody treatment because your symptoms are mild. It has a very good success rate, but it cannot be given when someone has severe illness. It is too late at that point. It needs to be given to people with mild/moderate illness who are in danger of developing severe illness.

Regeneron has had very good results, and certainly considering the possibilities if ********* progresses, I would advise a friend or family member to get it if suggested by their doctor.

I am mostly worried about allergic reactions. I have dealt with some unexplained facial and tongue swelling at other points when I was dealing with my autoimmune stuff. I also had angioedema from Lisinopril. I also am not convinced I really need it as I actually feel like I’m on the upswing. But both doctors recommended it so I probably will.

once_upon

Vaccinated
. I also am not convinced I really need it as I actually feel like I’m on the upswing. But both doctors recommended it so I probably will.
As I understand it, it needs to be given early on, when may still feel a little under the weather.

Debbie S

I'm sorry, @sk8nlizard. I hope the treatment goes well with no side effects.

I'm glad your son is feeling better. Are your husband and daughter negative?

sk8nlizard

I'm sorry, @sk8nlizard. I hope the treatment goes well with no side effects.

I'm glad your son is feeling better. Are your husband and daughter negative?
Thank you, I will keep everyone updated. Yes, my husband and daughter are negative. My son hasn’t been out of the guest room since Friday and when I showed symptoms Sunday I went into his room and my daughter has been downstairs with my husband since. I will probably have them tested again this weekend if I can find a place to test them.

sk8nlizard

As I understand it, it needs to be given early on, when may still feel a little under the weather.
Sorry for the double post. Yes, earlier is better but can’t be longer than 10 days. Tomorrow morning will be I guess day 5 but I didn’t start showing symptoms til Sunday afternoon. Even though I feel like I am getting better, I have heard a lot of stories about people getting much worse between days 7 and 10 that I am planning to do the antibody treatment.

AJ Skatefan

Sorry for the double post. Yes, earlier is better but can’t be longer than 10 days. Tomorrow morning will be I guess day 5 but I didn’t start showing symptoms til Sunday afternoon. Even though I feel like I am getting better, I have heard a lot of stories about people getting much worse between days 7 and 10 that I am planning to do the antibody treatment.
Good for you

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
It's been very challenging on social media. I have avoided sharing my personal opinions about ********* and vaccinations, because I'm not about to get dragged into all of this. I'm personally fully vaccinated and wear a mask where necessary. I do it not only to protect my health, but for those around me. It's sad there are people out there who just don't get it. Lots of friendships and relationships have been tested. Easiest thing to do is just to mute, unfollow, or at the extreme, block them.

Miezekatze

I read today in the German news, that doctors here based on the running studies are expecting vaccine approval for younger children till the end of the year and for infants in 2022 too, that would be great.

AJ Skatefan

It's been very challenging on social media. I have avoided sharing my personal opinions about ********* and vaccinations, because I'm not about to get dragged into all of this. I'm personally fully vaccinated and wear a mask where necessary. I do it not only to protect my health, but for those around me. It's sad there are people out there who just don't get it. Lots of friendships and relationships have been tested. Easiest thing to do is just to mute, unfollow, or at the extreme, block them.
I agree. I snoozed her for 30 days. There were several people who tried to reason with her and she got a little hysterical and said, “get off my page.” Alrighty then…..

MacMadame

Staying at home
Yesterday's Atlantic newsletter was about Long-Haulers. Some excerpts and a link to the full report:

+ Patients are still fighting for a seat at the table.

When *********-19 long-haulers felt neglected by the medical establishment, they took matters into their own hands, forming support groups and studying themselves. Even as academia is starting to take the condition seriously, many patients “feel that their expertise is being ignored and their hard-won knowledge is being excluded from investigations into their own illness,” Ed reports.

+ We still don’t know the odds of developing long ********* from a breakthrough infection.

“Vaccination reduces the risk of infection, which should consequently reduce the risk of long *********,” Ed points out. But formal data remain sparse, and a small number of long-********* cases in the vaccinated have been recorded.

+ Long-haul diseases are still understudied.

Long ********* parallels similar postinfection conditions. Unfortunately, the phenomena are poorly understood. “For years, we’ve been shouting from the rooftops that this is something that happens after an infectious onset, but it’s been hard to get people to pay attention,” one scientist told Ed.

Read Ed’s report.

acraven

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
Now there is another as yet unnamed variant which I am sure will be given a Greek letter.

My question is can you get two or more variants at the same time?

If you can, I am sure a new expression down the road will be is “I came down with a fraternity of sorority of the scourge”.🐸🦠🦠🦠

million$momma

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Imagine if the vaccine passport had been put in place a month ago. We would be so much further ahead!
I wish in a way they did this at the start of summer. Opening up too soon was a bad idea and people hate being told there's new restrictions because not everyone wants to play by the rules.

Miezekatze

One of our German head virologists has seconed the British approach, which says that continously boostering healthy people forever is not really the goal. He says the endemic situation is supposed to become more like a "cold situation".

He thinks the most stable "immunity" for the whole population will be reached if vaccinated people get in regular contact with the *****, which would improve their immunity until it's really stable and long-lasting.

For himself (fully vaccinated) he expects to get infected one, two or three times over the course of time and then his immunity will be so good, that he'll be properly immune to the ***** and only get infected like every 5 years or so, like with any other *****.
Noted: he's 49 and healthy. Of course this can't be applied to very old people or people with risk factors and for healthy poeple it's also only an option if they get vaccinated first, otherwise it's too risky. And he said if there was enough vaccine, he'd probably still take a 3rd shot first, but not when there's so many poorer countries, who need it first.

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
Apparently the Mu variant is now in 49 states and 42 countries.

It May evade certain antibodies and be more contagious than even the delta variant.

If it follows the general rule of thumb that each variant is twice and contagious bit is half as deadly, most people will experience what is no more than a bad cold with hospitalizations and deaths occurring mostly in the population made up of people with compromised immune symptoms and/or co morbidities.

I am sure more information will be forthcoming as the data is analyzed.

Judy

Thank you, I will keep everyone updated. Yes, my husband and daughter are negative. My son hasn’t been out of the guest room since Friday and when I showed symptoms Sunday I went into his room and my daughter has been downstairs with my husband since. I will probably have them tested again this weekend if I can find a place to test them.
Are you vaccinated? Def 🙏 the best for you.

sk8nlizard

Are you vaccinated? Def 🙏 the best for you.
Yes I am vaccinated. I ended up not getting the antibody treatment. I come out of isolation tomorrow and mostly mine was a bad cold type situation though I had a few nights of a fever. I have a slight lingering cough but not bad. However, the day before my youngest was to get out of quarantine she developed symptoms and now she has it! She is 8 and now confined to her room but she will end up being not leaving the house for 19 days because she quarantined as a close exposure and then got it! She has a fever, sore throat, congestion and headache. So far, my husband is the only one who hasn’t gotten it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information