The Instagram Thread

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I thought there must be a thread fir Instagram but I couldn’t find one, so I decided to start one because I have some questions.

Although I watch videos and sometimes read articles on Instagram, I didn’t go further until very recently. I saw that many of my friends on Facebook were on Instagram but I didn’t know that the information was shared.

Someone told me about selling products on Instagram, so I posted a few pictures of my art work. However, in the process I mistyped my email address. It was clearly wrong (the m was missing from mail). I tried to correct it but Instagram kept telling me that my corrected email address was being used by someone else. I couldn’t find a way around it. If the two are connected, why didn’t Instagram recognize me as the same person?

I am going to try using my gmail address instead of the Hotmail and see if it works.

I registered as a business on Instagram but I don’t really have a business (registered in my county or city). I don’t know if that is allowed. May be registering on Instagram is enough?

I have sold a few items on Facebook marketplace but Instagram has a wider visibility (not just local), so I want learn more about it.

Urban Queen

Banned Member
I don't use Instagram, but if what you're saying is accurate, their customer service practices are unacceptable. I would consider reporting them to the Better Business Bureau or threatening them with a civil lawsuit.

Next time I am at the library, I will see if they have any manuals about using Instagram. If I find anything useful, I shall post citations and/or other useful information on this board.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
If your e-mail address is already being used, type the correct one and then when it says the password is incorrect, click the I forgot my password or help or whatever box that will pop up. Then you will get the e-mail yourself and you’ll be able to figure out what is going on.

As far as selling on a small scale on Instagram, it’s not typical. Big companies advertise there and have their business pages, but it typically links to their store website.

Spun Silver

Actually I see a lot of small companies selling on I but they're mainly jewelry suppliers with very very desirable wares. That just happens to be who I follow. Usually they name their price and tell people to DM them with their PayPal address (email), then they send a PayPal invoice. I see jewelry sellers selling on I as well. They usually say "see link in bio [or profile]" and the link takes you to their Etsy shop, their website or the shop that carries their jewelry. I know other Etsy sellers of other types (clothing etc) sell via I too. I have my doubts about I being a good venue for selling photography though. It is a visual medium that sells by photos and I think it would be very hard for photos to stand out there as items for sale. Other types of art might work--I just don't know.

gkelly

I have two different Instagram questions:

*If I click on a link to an Instagram post, e.g., if someone posts a link on FSU, I get taken to the relevant photo and the latest responses to the original post, but I don't know how to see earlier posts in the thread including the original post that started the thread. How do I navigate the feed?

*In one case I followed the person whose post it was hoping to be able to see the initial post that way. If I don't want to continue officially following them, how do I unfollow?

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I have two different Instagram questions:

*If I click on a link to an Instagram post, e.g., if someone posts a link on FSU, I get taken to the relevant photo and the latest responses to the original post, but I don't know how to see earlier posts in the thread including the original post that started the thread. How do I navigate the feed?

*In one case I followed the person whose post it was hoping to be able to see the initial post that way. If I don't want to continue officially following them, how do I unfollow?

There are no threads. There are all separate, individual posts. If you want to see everything the account has posted, click on the user name and it will take you back to the main page. Think of the posts as a photo album, with all separate discussions for each photo.

To unfollow, go up to the top of the account, where it says Following, click, and it will give the option to unfollow.

If using Instagram on a computer, it’s really meant to be used as a phone app and the layout is much more simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information