The End of the Trump Presidency: Impeachment, Removal, or Expiration of Term?

caseyedwards

The passion will wane. Passion does that. And a new shiny politician will show up and carry away the hearts of the party. Maybe he'll be better than Trump, maybe he'll be worse. Maybe the gender will be different but the last name will be Trump. Maybe it will be no one we've heard of in January 2021. But there will be someone. There always is.
So true! It’s a fact that Romney was leading Republican polls up until 2015 and he lost! Democrats even supported gore and then Joe lieberman in huge numbers from 2001 to 2003

becca

The passion will wane. Passion does that. And a new shiny politician will show up and carry away the hearts of the party. Maybe he'll be better than Trump, maybe he'll be worse. Maybe the gender will be different but the last name will be Trump. Maybe it will be no one we've heard of in January 2021. But there will be someone. There always is.
I don’t know I have never seen such love like literally its insane

tony

All the more reason for republicans to force all the republicans to move on! Or is that dangerous? But they are senators they have security. Just ban trump forever! Shut it down
Casey has a point here. I still don’t think someone of Trump’s disposition (or Trump himself) has any chance getting out of primaries in 2024, but why not just shut the door on him with a Senate vote that also likely helps your own position?

caseyedwards

Casey has a point here. I still don’t think someone of Trump’s disposition (or Trump himself) has any chance getting out of primaries in 2024, but why not just shut the door on him with a Senate vote that also likely helps your own position?
Thank you! And helps the whole party not just the senator wanting to be president! Facts are America is a two party system so anyone who doesn’t want democrats to win MUST vote for republicans. So there would never be any third party. Even if Liz cheney won the 2024 republican nomination, it would be 2024! All the people called trump people now would be liz cheney people in 2024

ballettmaus

The passion will wane. Passion does that. And a new shiny politician will show up and carry away the hearts of the party.
I hope so but I wouldn't bet on it. One thing that might help is that Trump doesn't have social media anymore. But if he finds a way to stay present for the next four years, I'm not sure another guy has much of a chance with his core supporters. That said, a lot of what happens likely depends on if and what legal troubles he'll get in to.

Dobre

I still don’t think someone of Trump’s disposition (or Trump himself) has any chance getting out of primaries in 2024
No one thought he had a chance of getting out of the primaries in 2016.

Ugh. Now we have a whole party of looney tunes with a huge percentage of morally-defunct leaders and a likewise disinformed & misled Republican electorate.

Leaders should vote to eliminate his chance to run again in order to send the message to others that criminals will not be tolerated in the presidency, as well as to slam the door on morally bankrupt opportunists who will want him back in. (The man will be bankrupt. He will do whatever he can for money). Prison would be best, but leaders need to send this message too.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Um so my MAGA buddies are now trying to make #impeachjoebiden a thing.
I'm trying to make #nounitywithoutaccountability a thing. I think my thing is better than their thing. (Plus I stole my thing from FSU. I assume they stole theirs from some QAnon crazy or functional equivalent)

The lovely Marjorie Taylor-Greene. Ted Lieu (I think, but pretty sure) "kindly" explained that the Speaker decided what came up for a vote ;)
This reminds me of our two new School Board members who clearly have no idea how the Board or the district works and what it does.

ballettmaus

My mom's school said in their weekly newsletter that they may shut down the school or release students early/open late on or around Inauguration day. It was a bit of a surprise as they're located in Maryland. I have no idea if other schools in the area have sent out the same advisory but this is just insane!

Meoima

🤔 Tiffany won't be old enough to be eligible to be President till 2028. 🤷‍♂️
:sneaky:
Padorn me if I understand correctly... I have seen several people express their worries that Dems might lose the House by 2022. They act as if that will happen. Maybe because Dems didn’t do well enough in the house election this time compared to 2018?

MsZem

Padorn me if I understand correctly... I have seen several people express their worries that Dems might lose the House by 2022. They act as if that will happen. Maybe because Dems didn’t do well enough in the house election this time compared to 2018?
That, and it'll be a midterm, and Republicans will do some gerrymandering in the upcoming redistricting.

Meoima

That, and it'll be a midterm, and Republicans will do some gerrymandering in the upcoming redistricting.
So... why the Dems could not make use of gerrymandering and make the best out of it? Sorry if my question does not make sense but I just wonder why only the GOP could play this game that well.

MsZem

So... why the Dems could not make use of gerrymandering and make the best out of it? Sorry if my question does not make sense but I just wonder why only the GOP could play this game that well.
In some cases, Democrats have passed legislation for independent commissions to draw new congressional districts following the census results. Also, there are a number of states that will gain congressional seats and are most definitely red. Democrats did not have a great election at the state level.

MsZem

I think I read that Democrats are usually doing better at midterms shortly after the election but don't quote me on it.
Like 1994 and 2010?

The 2010 were a disaster especially because they came right before the last round of redistricting, enabling to engage in all sorts of shenanigans in order to entrench themselves in power.

PRlady

Traditionally the “out” party does better in the midterms after a presidential election. In 1998, the Dems actually improved and Newt Gingrich - who played John the Baptist to Trump’s Jesus for the right wing - had to resign.

The suspect Census is going to give more red states seats and the GOP state legislatures will ensure they’re arranged to their advantage. It will be hard to keep the House in 2022

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Traditionally the “out” party does better in the midterms after a presidential election. In 1998, the Dems actually improved and Newt Gingrich - who played John the Baptist to Trump’s Jesus for the right wing - had to resign.

The suspect Census is going to give more red states seats and the GOP state legislatures will ensure they’re arranged to their advantage. It will be hard to keep the House in 2022

I think the question is--and we don't know the answer yet--whether that means a whole class of Marjorie Taylor Greenes being elected or whether there is a renaissance of more moderate Republicans.

Because if the country is ready to elect a House controlled by crazies, we're toast.

Vagabond

www.electoral-vote.com/evp2021/Pres/Maps/Jan14.html#item-1
Ali Alexander, the die-hard Trump loyalist responsible for organizing the "Stop the Steal" movement, said that he worked with Reps. Andy Biggs, Paul Gosar (both R-AZ), and Mo Brooks (R-AL) to hatch the plot to storm the Capitol. "We four schemed up of putting maximum pressure on Congress while they were voting," was Alexander's description. He's not the world's most reliable source, of course, but it's also worth asking: Why would he lie here? Also keep in mind that "Well, we didn't expect people go get violent" is not a defense.

Rep. Mikie Sherrill (D-NJ), a former naval officer, and several of her (as-yet-unnamed) colleagues noticed some of the Trumpy members of Congress giving tours to "supporters" on Jan. 5. Since tours are suspended right now, due to *********-19, this was suspicious enough that Sherrill (and others) reported it immediately. Sherrill and some of her colleagues now believe that those were reconnaissance missions. More than 30 of them sent a letter to the acting House and Senate sergeants-at-arms, as well as the acting chief of the U.S. Capitol Police, asking for an investigation. "The visitors encountered by some of the Members of Congress on this letter appeared to be associated with the rally at the White House the following day," the letter reads. "Members of the group that attacked the Capitol seemed to have an unusually detailed knowledge of the layout of the Capitol Complex. The presence of these groups within the Capitol Complex was indeed suspicious."

Newly seated Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-CO), who is one of the most Trumpy and most far-right members of the House GOP caucus, was allegedly live-tweeting the location of Nancy Pelosi during the riot, ostensibly in hopes of helping the mob to find the Speaker.
Boebert's tweets have already been mentioned in PI.

All of this should lead to prosecutions and expulsions.

In the meantime, the House Republicans ought to suspend or terminate these Representatives' membership in their caucus.

once_upon

Actions have consequences.

ETA: another story

Susan1

I was just looking at our "favorite" Ohio reporter's FB page. His followers are saying it was all antifia and BLM and all of the trump supporters they know are being told not to go to the Capitol because anything that happens will be blamed on them. :rolleyes: It would be neat if that worked though.

VGThuy

Someone call the wahmbulance. Eric Trump is blaming "cancel culture" for businesses cutting ties with Trump:

acraven

The medical center where most of my doctors practice is located about 6 blocks west of the White House (not between the White House and the Capitol). I received a notice today that it will be closed next Tuesday, January 19. It was already scheduled to be closed on Monday (M. L. King Day) and Wednesday (Inauguration Day). The Inauguration Day closure is probably standard; the Secret Service likes to reduce traffic flow into the center of the city, and most federal employees are told not to go to work that day.

This seems like a prudent precaution, but we sure aren't going to get many people vaccinated next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information