The End of the Trump Presidency: Impeachment, Removal, or Expiration of Term?

caseyedwards

NBC News said if McConnell votes for removal, you can bet your butt there are enough Republicans that will join him to get a removal in the Senate.
There’s no removal. He will already be gone. It’s just a ban on him running again really

Mcconnell could flip flop have a one or two day trial starting next week thing I guess!

VGThuy

There’s no removal. He will already be gone. It’s just a ban on him running again really

Mcconnell could flip flop have a one or two day trial starting next week thing I guess!
It'll be a removal in formality if not in actuality. Aka it'll be on his record as a removal and he can be in the record books as the first (and hopefully only) President to be removed from office, even if the actual conviction and removal takes place after his term ended.

Sparks

McConnell says Trump's trial will not happen until next week. “In light of this reality, I believe it will best serve our nation if Congress & the executive branch spend the next 7 days completely focused on facilitating a safe inauguration and an orderly transfer of power."

caseyedwards

It'll be a removal in formality if not in actuality. Aka it'll be on his record as a removal and he can be in the record books as the first (and hopefully only) President to be removed from office, even if the actual conviction and removal takes place after his term ended.

Well either way the count is on for 17 republicans to vote for conviction!

Definitely Murkowski
Maybe
Toomey
Thune
Cornyn
Mcconnell
Portman
Collins

Dobre

I feel that any Republican leader who argued that there were "more important" things to focus the nation's energy on right now had better approve Biden's nominees and vote for those other "more important" things right promptly. Since obviously those things are so important!

rfisher

Let the skating begin
How much has changed in a week. One week ago today, the revolution was to take place, the Storm was to begin and Trump was going to take the presidency back and turn our country into his personal fiefdom. A week later, he's disgraced, lost financial support, and has no ability to rage tweet.

As for the protestors planning to come to DC? Bring it on. There's 20,000 guardsmen waiting for you.

VGThuy

I feel that any Republican leader who argued that there were "more important" things to focus the nation's energy on right now had better approve Biden's nominees and vote for those other "more important" things right promptly. Since obviously those things are so important!
I hope a Dem Rep. somewhere was making a list. ;)

FiveRinger

What are the chances that Trump will be arrested on criminal charges related to sedition on January 20?

ballettmaus

I agree, unless it comes to Ivanka Trump. She is possibly worse than her father.
I don't think it's different for Ivanka. But she's no different than her father.

Jim Jordan is speaking now - I want to throw something at the TV.
I feel like that every time he opens his mouth.

I don’t think Pence could have won reelection with Trump and Trumpers viewing him as a betrayer.
But how many of those are there? Truly enough to make a difference? He would likely have handled YKW better, voter turnout might have been lower and some who voted Biden might have voted Pence. I think it's fairly likely that he would have won because we are in a p*ndemic.

The Republicans have more trouble keeping their face masks up than Democrats.
They're not used to masks.

Yes that is obvious. So put yourself in their position. If it were me .. and I am strongly against bad vs good and have high morals for myself which doesn’t mean I am a perfect person by any means .. but at the end of the day I have to live with myself. However if your ife is threatened .. I have no idea what I would do. do they have any security protection? I think that Senate has secret servicea?
I believe members of Congress get a Capitol Police detail. ...

What annoys me a little is that there are Republicans and Democrats who have received threats and they're still doing the right thing, so this is not an excuse (like some who write about it in the MSM seem to be implying).

Watching the floor is so interesting. They look like a bunch of kindergarteners who just get up and wander around at will.
It always reminds me of descriptions of when Congress was in session the very first times.

McConnell says Trump's trial will not happen until next week. “In light of this reality, I believe it will best serve our nation if Congress & the executive branch spend the next 7 days completely focused on facilitating a safe inauguration and an orderly transfer of power."
What does Congress (especially a Senate that is out of session) have to do with facilitating a safe inauguration?

Judy

I do agree in some ways that Biden deserves the spotlight now. No matter how much I despise Trump.

ballettmaus

I do agree in some ways that Biden deserves the spotlight now. No matter how much I despise Trump.
That is actually an argument for bringing back the Senate early and starting the trial early so it can be done earlier.

One way or another, Biden deserving the spotlight now is not an argument for not holding a trial or a delayed trial. The man committed impeachable offenses. He needs to be held accountable. What is the saying? Justice delayed is justice denied?!

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Not that I trust Mitch McConnell to be giving his honest reason for not calling the Senate into session for a trial, but there is some reasonableness to the notion that the rushed impeachment and a rushed trial could set a precedent that would not be good in the future.

I do think that the impeachment had to happen like this but it also opens the door for bad actors in the future to rush an impeachment without the usual process.

MsZem

ballettmaus

I just caught images of National Guard sleeping in the halls of Congress on MSNBC. I wonder what that must feel like, sleeping on the floor of the United States Capitol with your rifle in your hand.

I'm just reporting what Yashar Ali said.
It's one too many. There were only four Republicans who didn't vote.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I've seen "five" abstentions on Twitter a bunch of times, including some people who usually "@" or share each other's tweets, which they didn't do here. I wonder if Crenshaw's vote was easy to miss. (I haven't been able to watch.)

Mezzo-soprano Stephanie Blythe tweeted:

This is a tremendous impeachment. No one has ever been impeached this many times in the history of impeachment, and many, many people agree with me, especially the higher up people. There has never been an impeachment this impeachy. It is the impeachiest. #feelingjustimpeachy

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
I just caught images of National Guard sleeping in the halls of Congress on MSNBC. I wonder what that must feel like, sleeping on the floor of the United States Capitol with your rifle in your hand.

It's one too many. There were only four Republicans who didn't vote.
One Republican is one too many.

Judy

That is actually an argument for bringing back the Senate early and starting the trial early so it can be done earlier.

One way or another, Biden deserving the spotlight now is not an argument for not holding a trial or a delayed trial. The man committed impeachable offenses. He needs to be held accountable. What is the saying? Justice delayed is justice denied?!
Oh for sure. That’s my personal feelings only. I want Trump destroyed for what he’s done. I also recognize that it is so imperative to get Biden in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information