The End of the Trump Presidency: Impeachment, Removal, or Expiration of Term?

caseyedwards

8: Cheney, Herrera Beutler, Katko, Kinzinger, Upton, Newhouse, Kim & now Meijer

10 rice and Gonzales

rfisher

Let the skating begin
that timer isn't relevant. They keep voting until they're all finished. The speakers are doing proxy votes for those who out with *********

rfisher

Let the skating begin
You do realize that the Dems control the House by quite a bit and they are all for sure a yes, right? There's no need to stress this one.
Yeah, it's not the final tally that's important here, but the number of Republicans who vote with the Democrats. They need 2 more to make a strong statement to the GOP in the Senate.

tony

Yeah, it's not the final tally that's important here, but the number of Republicans who vote with the Democrats. They need 2 more to make a strong statement to the GOP in the Senate.
They need one, and it's pretty much a given that they will have (at least) 10.

The quote in question was how close the votes were at a certain point- which means nothing. Republicans are not tipping the scales on this one :)

Judy

So my understanding is that he’s impeached. It all gets debated. But ultimately it rests in Senate hands. Yes I totally get how important the Republicans supporting agreeing with this are. Do I have it right?

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Since Biden and Schumer are working out a deal where the Senate will spend half a day on the trial and half on his cabinet confirmations, I don't have a problem with this taking place next week. Subpoena Trump, Guiliani and Trump spawn's emails etc., get those people who stormed the Capitol and making an absolute case that will keep him from ever running for office again and provide evidence for criminal trials. We need to nail it down.

caseyedwards

So my understanding is that he he’s impeached. it all gets debated. But ultimately it rests in Senate hands. Yes I totally get how important the Repubians agreeing with this are. Do I have it right?

Need 17 republican senators to support removal! I would say 34 house republican yes votes would have made that possible

rfisher

Let the skating begin
So my understanding is that he’s impeached. It all gets debated. But ultimately it rests in Senate hands. Yes I totally get how important the Republicans supporting agreeing with this are. Do I have it right?
The impeachment by the House is sort of like a Grand Jury. The Senate conducts the trial.

caseyedwards

Charlie Savage says on The New York Times live blog: "The thing about the Romney-Cheney faction of the Republican Party, trying to pull it back toward its pre-Trump identity/principles, is that so far it is… small."

They have to try to win a presidential primary again to really test that

The only real difference is trade!

caseyedwards

Since Biden and Schumer are working out a deal where the Senate will spend half a day on the trial and half on his cabinet confirmations, I don't have a problem with this taking place next week. Subpoena Trump, Guiliani and Trump spawn's emails etc., get those people who stormed the Capitol and making an absolute case that will keep him from ever running for office again and provide evidence for criminal trials. We need to nail it down.
Some of that will still be executive privilege probably!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information