The Climate Emergency

Dobre

Sylvia

Rooting for underdogs!
Floods are not uncommon in Pakistan but the people here tell us these rains were different. They were more than anything that's ever been seen here. One local official described them as "floods of biblical proportions".
Near the city of Larkana, thousands of mud homes have sunk under water, and for miles all that's visible is treetops.
Where the water level is slightly lower, thatched roofs creep out from underneath the menacing water.
The needs of the survivors are varied. In one village we visit, the people sat there are desperate for food. In another they say they've got their grains, but they need money to meet their other needs.
[Prime Minister] Mr Sharif said 33 million people had been hit by the floods - about 15% of the country's population.
He said the losses caused by floods this season were comparable to those during the floods of 2010-11, said to be the worst on record.
Officials in the country blame climate change for the devastation.
But poor local government planning has exacerbated the impact in the past, with buildings often erected in areas prone to seasonal flooding.

sk9tingfan

Given that much of Florida is likely to be flooded, etc. by tomorrow, Biden spoke directly to the mayors of Tampa, St. Petersburg and Clearwater. Looks like he may have totally bypassed DeSantis, which is one of the smarter things he could have done.

An update: I was right that Biden not only bypassed DeSantis. He didn't speak to him at all.

Last edited:

Louis

Private citizen
Good indirect climate policy example from the Nordics. I was in Copenhagen for work and decided to take the train to Malmo. I was surprised, given that they're border cities connected by a bridge, that I wasn't seeing more Danish license plates in Sweden and vice versa. Then I looked up the toll for the bridge - 55 EUR each way! :eek: The train ticket, last-minute, cost about 12 EUR each way. Trains had fewer carriages, but were more frequent (every 20 minutes or so) and convenient - I didn't have to rigidly adhere to a schedule. I thought this was a great example of incentives to use public transit. The train is cheaper, even for a family of four, and convenient. There's no reason NOT to take the train instead of drive for most trips.

Comparing this to the U.S. or UK, a single train ticket is almost always more expensive than any toll, even the Congestion Charge in London. The trains in both countries cost so much that taking the train for a family of four can be hundreds of $ / £ more expensive than driving, so people with a car are better off driving.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information