The 'Cancel Culture'

Dragonlady

Sew Happy
Does burning books count as cancel culture?

There is no such thing as "cancel culture". The fact that you're asking it to be explained to you shows what a made up thing it is. The people complaining the loudest about being "cancelled" sure do have a lot of media outlets willing to let them whine about their "voice being silenced".

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
There is no such thing as "cancel culture".
I disagree: shaming and ostracism for violating cultural norms, even when those norms are enforced publicly over a heavy dose of personal hypocrisy, and/or when used to justify exploitation, has been around forever.

In Edith Wharton's set, it was called the " cut."

Dragonlady

Sew Happy
I disagree: shaming and ostracism for violating cultural norms, even when those norms are enforced publicly over a heavy dose of personal hypocrisy, and/or when used to justify exploitation, has been around forever.

In Edith Wharton's set, it was called the " cut."

That wasn't "cancel culture", that was shaming, ostracism and consequences. "Cancel culture" is a made up thing that doesn't exist.

jenny12

That wasn't "cancel culture", that was shaming, ostracism and consequences. "Cancel culture" is a made up thing that doesn't exist.

Agreed. The term cancel culture is just a nonsense reactionary term to people who have gotten away with crap for too long finally facing consequences. I heard it spring up when the me too movement was emerging. Should Harvey Weinstein have a regular presence in public life after what he did? How about R. Kelly? People who do shameful things deserve shame and complaining about cancel culture is a distraction from important discussions about how to best hold those, especially those with immense public power, accountable when they do heinous things.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Agreed. The term cancel culture is just a nonsense reactionary term to people who have gotten away with crap for too long finally facing consequences. I heard it spring up when the me too movement was emerging. Should Harvey Weinstein have a regular presence in public life after what he did? How about R. Kelly? People who do shameful things deserve shame and complaining about cancel culture is a distraction from important discussions about how to best hold those, especially those with immense public power, accountable when they do heinous things.

Plus, the "cancel culture" crowd's definition of "free speech" seems to be along the lines of: I want to say whatever I want to say and people shouldn't be allowed to disagree with me or criticize me. That's not what "free speech" is.

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
Sums up the whiney right: “Conservative voices are being silenced. How do I know this? From reading the thousands of social media posts and listening to countless TV interviews wherein Conservatives won’t stop talking about how silenced they are.”-Jeff Tiedrich

Dragonlady

Sew Happy
Disagreement is supposed to lead to debate not one side being eliminated from all public view
Those being "eliminated from view" sure do spend a lot of time giving interviews in the public media and on the internet about their voices being "silenced". Would anyone even know who Marjory Taylor Greene is if she wasn't being "censored"?

It's also not a debate when one side is just making stupid shit up and pretending it's real.

Dragonlady

Sew Happy
Speaking of making stupid shit up and pretending it's real, like the Russia bs we had to contend with for 4 years?

I guess all of those charges and guilty pleas and jury verdicts were just figments of our collective immaginations. As were the Mueller Report, the Senate Report on Russian Interference, the Inspector General's Report, and the conclusions of the FBI, the CIA, the NSA, British Intelligence and other European Union intelligence agencies.

Just because your pretend it didn't happen doesn't mean it wasn't real.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Speaking of making stupid shit up and pretending it's real, like the Russia bs we had to contend with for 4 years?

I'm sure your fellow Republicans who were on the committee that produced the report - and who endorsed it - would not think this was "stupid shit" or "bs".

caseyedwards

I'm sure your fellow Republicans who were on the committee that produced the report - and who endorsed it - would not think this was "stupid shit" or "bs".

They chose not to do anything about it. They could have all agreed to impeach Trump for Manafort meeting with kilimnik. Also it’s not clear why Manafort wasn’t arrested for meeting with kilimnik. And why it isn’t a crime if it isn’t a crime to meet with people like kilimnik. I believe if an American citizen meets with a Russian intelligence officer they should immediately be arrested. But then again why was kilimnik given visas to enter America by Obama?

caseyedwards

I see you still haven’t read the Senate Intelligence report on how the Trump campaign worked with Russian intelligence in 2016. :rolleyes:
Kilimnik got a visa from Obama and came to america where he met with a lot of people and one of those people was his friend from Ukraine manafort who told him some poll numbers. No doubt kilimnik was a very well known Putin employee but manafort didn’t let him in America Obama did. He let many Putin employees in America. Veselnitskaia too.

MsZem

There is no such thing as "cancel culture". The fact that you're asking it to be explained to you shows what a made up thing it is. The people complaining the loudest about being "cancelled" sure do have a lot of media outlets willing to let them whine about their "voice being silenced".
I think if you'd read the article I posted about in 2019, maybe you would have realized that this response was not necessary.

I stand by what I wrote in another older post:
I'm not sure how much overlap there is between cancel culture and callout culture (is it the same thing?) as well as online shaming more generally. We tend to think of famous people who are able to bounce back from being "cancelled", but this kind of thing can affect regular people, too, for offending not just people on the left but also on the right.

Are there bigger problems in the world? Yes. But online shaming can have real consequences and affect people's jobs, friendships, and mental health, often for infractions that don't merit more than a bit of criticism. I don't feel comfortable dismissing this as an issue entirely.
People can be "cancelled", so to speak, and sometimes it's not accountability, it's abuse. But such is not the case when Josh Hawley loses a book deal, and it's clear that some on the right are using the term much as they once used "PC culture". This from the people who tried to cancel french fries.

jenny12

Really? Maybe in some twisted, Orwellian dystopia...

I don’t know what term is annoying more recently: Orwellian or cancel culture. Both are just terms that people randomly throw out when they don’t want to be held accountable.

Orwellian is calling torture “enhanced interrogation.” It’s not losing a book deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information