The Biden-Harris Administration

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
That's just not true. Plenty of Americans take those jobs.

And restaurants are scrambling for workers even here in CT where our unemployment numbers are high.

They do not pay enough. If there is another spike, they really do not pay enough. Workers take that into their calculations.

There is no child care. Many of the old places have closed.

And kids under 12 cannot get vaccinated.

A lot of hospitality folk here got YKW and either have lasting damage or died.
Post ykw syndrome is not conducive to work.

Waiting on tables is not easy if your feet hurt all the time, or you have to stay off them for fear of blood clots, or you have no energy.

And there are not enough desperate immigrants available who will take less money.

The easiest one of these 3 to fix is just let immigrants in and let them work.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge

"The era of bipartisanship is over"​

apparently Mitch McConnell has declared this today. Well he should know, he's the one who is making sure that his party will not work with Democrats on anything. Not sure what era he is talking about though, the 1980s? :shuffle:

demetriosj

And restaurants are scrambling for workers even here in CT where our unemployment numbers are high.

They do not pay enough. If there is another spike, they really do not pay enough. Workers take that into their calculations.

There is no child care. Many of the old places have closed.

And kids under 12 cannot get vaccinated.

A lot of hospitality folk here got YKW and either have lasting damage or died.
Post ykw syndrome is not conducive to work.

Waiting on tables is not easy if your feet hurt all the time, or you have to stay off them for fear of blood clots, or you have no energy.

And there are not enough desperate immigrants available who will take less money.

The easiest one of these 3 to fix is just let immigrants in and let them work.

Or stop paying people until Labor Day to sit home and collect extra unemployment benefits.

clairecloutier

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
AOC:

“Pres. Biden & Senate Dems should take a step back and ask themselves if playing patty-cake w GOP Senators is really worth the dismantling of people’s voting rights, setting the planet on fire, allowing massive corporations and the wealthy to not pay their fair share of taxes, etc,”

Granted Dems don't actually have the ability to pass most of their agenda because of Manchin and the others who are hiding behind him. However, they should be negotiating with them for how they can pass significant legislation at this point, not letting McConnell "run out the clock" as AOC puts it.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed

Way to go, AOC. :rolleyes:

No one is playing pattycake, least of all Biden. Biden is doing more to help the planet, restore voting rights and set the tax code right than you with all the bills that you have, as a working member of Congress, drafted and proposed.:blah: ETA: Because as far as I know, those actual bills, instead of tweets, are few and far between.

How does she think this helps anyone?

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
And what I was going to post before I was distracted by politicians who like to hear themselves talk....

Many of the employers who p!$$ and moan about the unemployment benefits remind me of employers we would litigate against for minimum wage or overtime.

Complaining that they would not keep their business open if they had pay according to the law. I said, more than once, that is a truly bad business plan that relies on paying workers less than MW and not paying OT. So maybe you shouldn't be in business🤷‍♀️

We would also hear, well, Jim down the street pays the same way. Fine, here's the number of the Wage/Hour Division, file a complaint about Jim down the street.

Wasn't what they wanted to hear. ;)

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
It helps her with her fan base. Does it help anyone else? No, but she doesn't intend for it to do so.

No AOC represents a constituency every bit as much as moderates do. And she is speaking up for what a lot of us think.

Tell me why AOC should not be participating in the current political situation? Why should it be assumed that she doesn't care about anything but getting likes?

I assume this means you and @el henry think people who agree with AOC should sit down and shut up.

Thanks for the hint. I'll stop bothering you all too since you only want to hear some points of view and not others.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Way to go, AOC. :rolleyes:

No one is playing pattycake, least of all Biden. Biden is doing more to help the planet, restore voting rights and set the tax code right than you with all the bills that you have, as a working member of Congress, drafted and proposed.:blah: ETA: Because as far as I know, those actual bills, instead of tweets, are few and far between.

How does she think this helps anyone?
Why do you think only moderates should have a voice?

Manchin supports an infrastructure bill. Its time for Dems to agree among themselves and pass what Manchin can support through reconciliation.

That's what she's talking about. The time is now and you know what? Biden is close to that point.

Maybe you should try to understand what AOC is saying rather than assuming she's an ass before you even digest what she has said.

I don't even think you'd disagree with her much if you didn't already think you did.

Vagabond

No AOC represents a constituency every bit as much as moderates do.
That is my point, if expressed differently. Saying that Biden and the Senate Democrats are playing patty-cake with the Republicans isn't going to persuade anyone who isn't already on board with her positions. If she wanted to persuade people, she should have, and I believe would have, used different terms.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
No AOC represents a constituency every bit as much as moderates do. And she is speaking up for what a lot of us think.

Tell me why AOC should not be participating in the current political situation? Why should it be assumed that she doesn't care about anything but getting likes?

I assume this means you and @el henry think people who agree with AOC should sit down and shut up.

Thanks for the hint. I'll stop bothering you all too since you only want to hear some points of view and not others.

I don't think they should sit down and shut up.

I think they should get their facts right.

What amazing leverage does Joe Biden have that he is not using? How can using what leverage he has and calling out Manchin and Sinema where he can be called "playing pattycake"? It can't.

All the EOs and legislative work Biden is signing/promoting on behalf of the environment is not "setting the planet on fire".

Her rhetoric does nothing. It does nothing to help the environment, it surely does nothing to stop Joe Manchin (he's loving it) and appears to me to be only rhetoric.

AOC is smarter than this and I expect more than rhetoric. I keep hoping.🙏.

ETA: What @Vagabond said. Does she actually want to help? The point isn't that Manchin is acting like a horse's rump. The point is how do we get these items passed.

Misrepresenting what Biden is doing and saying doesn't do that.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Misrepresenting what Biden is doing and saying doesn't do that.
She's not doing that.

All she said is that the time is now to switch tactics. Which it is. And Biden knows that. Having a few Congress critters saying so in public actually helps him especially if it causes the general public to start expressing those ideas to their own representatives.

Sparks

"Consumer demand is the fuel that drives economic growth. When consumers buy products, companies and their workers profit and the economy grows. But when the vast majority of families have limited wealth, they cannot afford to buy goods and services. Widespread inequality creates an economy that lacks consumer demand. This lack of demand weakens economic growth, thereby causing the economy as a whole to stagnate and decline. A living wage enables workers to buy goods and services, thereby increasing consumer demand and kick starting the engine of economic growth. That is to say, fair wages don't just benefit workers and companies on an individual level, they also helps the economy as a whole to function well. This in turn creates a broader tax base so that local, state, and federal governments can invest in the infrastructure and services that help strengthen communities. Paying a living wage creates an economy that works for everyone."

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
She's not doing that.

All she said is that the time is now to switch tactics. Which it is. And Biden knows that. Having a few Congress critters saying so in public actually helps him especially if it causes the general public to start expressing those ideas to their own representatives.

I guess I am confused, because I don't know what she means by "playing pitty pat". I truly don't🤷‍♀️ This is a serious question, what leverage does Biden have that he hasn't already used?

ETA: and by leverage, and I mean leverage that will actually get bills passed. We are coming out of a four year disaster of epic proportions. Please God, we need to set the ship right.

And do you believe that Biden is doing nothing to stop the GOP Senators from "setting the world on fire"? which is how I read the tweet.

But if this kind of language actually does help Biden get some of these laws passed (it sure as hell is going to help Manchin, getting criticized by AOC is the best thing that could ever happen to him) then cool:cool:

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
What did they do pre ********* for child care? That’s immaterial to the argument.
There were 784 more child care centers which is a heck of a lot in a tiny state like CT

While the mothers were laid off, the children did not go to the child care center. Now other kids are in their kids' places and there are long waiting lists.

Dobre

Any business owner who says it’s hard finding staff is undoubtedly not paying well enough to attract those employees.
Well, some businesses did not do enough to protect their employees during the *********. I really think there is nothing some of the food-processing plants could do at this moment in time that would get them back up to full staff. Tyson, et. al. showed their colors & if jobs are available elsewhere, people are going to go somewhere that might not be fine & dandy with letting their employees die.

(Schools here are going to have a lot of turnover. Many didn't hire last fall, both because they couldn't find people willing to fill the positions that opened and because schools didn't open other positions due to warnings that school budgets would likely be slashed. In the end, they weren't. The state spent its rainy day fund to keep the budget functional and then the American Rescue Plan supplemented & reimbursed expenses. So this year there are going to be openings from last year + openings from this year. Teachers are moving because districts all over the state are hiring. My friend's school lost half its certified staff but has also already hired for all but one position. So I don't know if schools will go begging. But there's going to be a huge shift. Plus, the ********* had the potential to change people's world views in a lot of ways. Working for an employer that didn't care about protecting his/her employees this past year didn't stack up very well against being closer to home/family/people who really care about you. With opportunities available, people are going to take them).

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
As a relatively poor person living on disability, I can tell you I will only frequent businesses which offer a livable wage to their employees.
I am a believer is supporting those businesses doing the right things. Liveable wages is one. For me that also goes for businesses that use overseas labour to produce very cheap goods and put the safety of workers at risk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information