The Biden-Harris Administration

jeffisjeff

How do the experts around here feel about Kerry as climate czar? Obviously, having this position is good, but is Kerry the right choice? I may be showing my age, but is Kerry the new Al Gore?

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
How do the experts around here feel about Kerry as climate czar? Obviously, having this position is good, but is Kerry the right choice? I may be showing my age, but is Kerry the new Al Gore?

I don't think he is the new Al Gore.

I think Biden picked him because of his experience in international diplomacy and the purpose is for him to bring the US back into the international community of countries addressing climate change and build a robust international effort among governments.

I infer that this position is about international efforts, not domestic ones.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
Well, Kerry is not particularly a fav of mine, but as an ex Secretary of State, he has dealt with many other countries, and climate task zero as getting the US back into an internationally credible position, a tough task, given we probably will continue to have a Mitch McConnell-led Senate.

So I am strongly not really against this pick.

I love the Janet Yellen pick-brilliant in the financial area, a place where we will need every help we can get in the coming months, and she never was a partisan, so she may cruise to Senate approval, even in these partisan days.

There are benefits of Biden's having picked second in commands from Obama days. They know where things used to be, and how they used to be done, and so are best qualified to clean up the Trump chaos. And their clearances were done well once before, and so should be quicker to update than relatively unknown players.

Last edited:

Vagabond

I don't think he is the new Al Gore.

I think Biden picked him because of his experience in international diplomacy and the purpose is for him to bring the US back into the international community of countries addressing climate change and build a robust international effort among governments.

I infer that this position is about international efforts, not domestic ones.
It is for international efforts. Biden has said that he will appoint someone else to handle domestic matters related to climate change.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I'm not sure that this was anyone's FIRST choice, but I think this is what we voted for. Democracy is like that.

I mean, did we want a gerontocracy? No. Did we vote for it? Yes.

Did we want a remake of the Obama administration? No. Did we vote for it? Yes.

I don't think many of us are going to be excited about Biden's picks, but this probably is the right thing for this difficult time.

caseyedwards

John Kerry is someone who lives life as if climate change was a hoax! He hasn’t changed to be carbon neutral. His life is coastal mansions and yachts and private jets. Why?

Vagabond

Here's a summary of what Kerry had to say on global warming between 2003 and 2007:
  • Global Warming as “hoax” is funded by Big Oil & GOP. (Jan 2007)
  • Legislation to reduce CO2 emissions by 2050. (Jan 2007)
  • Global warming as "hoax" is funded by Big Oil and GOP. (Jan 2007)
  • We cannot drill our way to energy independence. (Jan 2007)
  • Clean coal is only OK if we sequester tons of CO2. (Jan 2007)
  • Senate rejection of Kyoto was to renegotiate, not ignore it. (Jan 2007)
  • The Kyoto Treaty was flawed but could be fixed. (Oct 2004)
  • Raise CAFE standard to 36 mpg by 2015. (Jan 2004)
  • 20% renewable energy by 2020. (Nov 2003)
  • Dismissal of Kyoto indicative of Bush’s unilateralism. (Oct 2003)
  • Invent our way out of oil dependency-don’t drill our way out. (Sep 2003)
  • Invest in advancing secure forms of energy instead of oil. (Jun 2003)
www.ontheissues.org/John_Kerry.htm

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Some encouraging words on Kerry from the left here, along with of course a few who think he's some capitalist stooge who won't do anything.

Greenpeace USA and the Sunrise Movement said there was reason to be encouraged and pointed to additional climate steps the Biden White House must take.

"The appointment is a positive sign for Biden's intention to integrate climate leadership into every facet of the administration," declared Janet Redman, Greenpeace Climate Campaign Director.

Sunrise Movement co-founder and executive director, Varshini Prakash called it "an encouraging sign of President-elect Biden's commitment to addressing the climate crisis that one of his very first staffing decisions is the creation of a high-level office to manage international climate negotiations and appointing a former secretary of state to lead it."

"I worked alongside Secretary Kerry on the Biden-Sanders Climate Task Force, and know that he is committed to engaging and listening to young voices—even when we might not always agree—and ensuring we have a seat at the table," Prakash said in a statement.

Article at Common Dreams.

caseyedwards

“We cannot drill our way to energy independence.”

He was right. Drilled and fracked the way. Lol

nylynnr

The market today, I think, is reacting positively to both vaccine news and Janet Yellin (not Warren) getting the Treasury job. Wall Street cheers, not sure President-elect Biden's progressive supporters are quite as happy with the cabinet picks thus far.

Susan1

The market today, I think, is reacting positively to both vaccine news and Janet Yellin (not Warren) getting the Treasury job. Wall Street cheers, not sure President-elect Biden's progressive supporters are quite as happy with the cabinet picks thus far.

I don't know anything about politics. I thought maybe there was a relief that things could go forward - 1,000,000 times better than they have been. Stability, common sense, fairness, competence, stuff like that. :)

The progressives should get on board and just see what happens. They can't fix everything at once.

And the only reason Janet Yellen's name is familiar to me is because she got dumped by trump. They should all be brought back. Who got fired after warning trump about Mike Flynn? I could look it up, but I figure you all would know off the top of your heads. Bring her back.

And -

nylynnr

I don't know anything about politics. I thought maybe there was a relief that things could go forward - 1,000,000 times better than they have been. Stability, common sense, fairness, competence, stuff like that.
We are saying the same thing, except for the smiley face.

The picks signal, "Steady as she goes, middle-of-the-road, nothing to worry about."

caseyedwards

It’s very nerve wracking with a lot of trepidation as these people loved the Iraq war. Syria, Libya, the group is filled with regime change people who support nonstop wars. Hopefully they will not do that stuff again. If experience means Iraq wars or Syria why is that good? Of course most republicans supported those wars so all these people will likely be approved with little opposition. But then so was Iraq war! Lol

Last edited:

Lacey

Watching Biden/Harris' Introductory Press Conference for their first cabinet selections, I am struck by the family backgrounds & histories, education, experience, intelligence & calm--such a wonderful change of pace in this group of people chosen to serve as opposed to those going out. Give them a chance people!

Last edited:

Judy

Watching Biden/Harris' Introductory Press Conference for their first cabinet selections, I am struck by the family backgrounds and histories, education, experience, intelligence and calm--such a wonderful change of pace in this group of people chosen to serve as opposed to those going out. Give them a chance people!
I know right? What a relief.

Judy

Has anybody mentioned lately that we are going to have a female Vice President? !!! All this talk about the Cabinet, and that just keeps popping in my head.
:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :respec: :respec: :respec:

(they ^ aren't coordinated - rats)
It’s very exciting isn’t it? I was reading in my paper the other night that our parliament in Canada agreed to invite Biden and Harris to visit as soon as it safe to do so. I am excited over that since it would be my city 😁😁😁.

Susan1

We are saying the same thing, except for the smiley face.

The picks signal, "Steady as she goes, middle-of-the-road, nothing to worry about."

I was going to say we really need some "steady as she goes" then I saw this meme on FB.

"@StevenBeschloss

Competence. Experience. Expertise. Commitment to government. Those are qualities you want in people in leadership. These are the kinds of people Biden is selecting. Maybe we really can soon sleep a whole night through without wondering what new disaster awaits us when we wake."

caseyedwards

I was going to say we really need some "steady as she goes" then I saw this meme on FB.

"@StevenBeschloss

Competence. Experience. Expertise. Commitment to government. Those are qualities you want in people in leadership. These are the kinds of people Biden is selecting. Maybe we really can soon sleep a whole night through without wondering what new disaster awaits us when we wake."
That’s totally baffling. Almost all these people supported the Iraq syria and libya wars. They deserve uncritical fawning?

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Unless both Democrats win in Georgia, the odds of a quick Senate approval of Warren are low. Plus, the markets are reacting to the fact the electon results are stabilized

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Unless both Democrats win in Georgia, the odds of a quick Senate approval of Warren are low. Plus, the markets are reacting to the fact the electon results are stabilized

Yellen is a great pic as far as I'm concerned. She's liberal, sure she's not Warren, but Biden is trying to transition us back to stability, and the markets are responding.

I'm really happy with this one.

Dobre

The market has been reacting to any form of stability. The leadership selections, state certifications, transition progress, a vaccine that can be more easily distributed, and the more secure Biden's position as future president--all of these are beneficial to business in the long run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information