The Biden-Harris Administration

Vagabond

Good for Biden in supporting a $15 minimum wage. The Democrats couldn't muster the votes to support it just a few weeks ago. Maybe they will now.

ETA: "Trickle-down economics has never worked, and it's time to grow the economy from the bottom and the middle out." :love:

Last edited:

Vagabond

From The New York Times Live Blong

April 28, 2021, 10:09 p.m. ET
Just now
Katie Rogers
White House Correspondent
Senator Ted Cruz of Texas, who wore a “COME AND TAKE IT” face mask to the proceedings, was blinking very heavily as the president talked about immigration.
:eek:

Susan1

Saw this in an article about the speech last night -

‘Talk to most responsible gun owners and hunters — they’ll tell you there’s no possible justification for having a hundred rounds in a weapon. What, do you think deer are wearing Kevlar vests?’

That should have been the lead on every morning show!

:)💌

MsZem

More judicial picks:

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
Catholic bishops want to withhold communion from President Biden and other Catholic politicians who do publicly support abortion. They are voting on this at their meeting in June.

ErikWilliam

Catholic bishops want to withhold communion from President Biden and other Catholic politicians who do publicly support abortion. They are voting on this at their meeting in June.
It's hard for me to understand the Catholic Church about this. The CC overlooked the sexual abuse/rape of nuns by their clergy and forced them to get abortions if they conceived from the rapes. So is it that they are against the PUBLIC SUPPORT of abortion rights, or are they just hypocrites as per usual?

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed

My understanding (and it appears confirmed in the article) of RC polity is that this is all performative.

The Bishops of the Diocese have the ultimate say in who receives communion. The Bishop of the RC Diocese of Delaware has no intention of withholding communion from Joe Biden. Nor does the Bishop of DC.

This aggravates to no end their colleagues who think that they are making some sort of statement by denying Joe Biden communion. Not to mention the power rush it would give them. The proponents of this resolution have no authority in another Bishop's Diocese, and the resolution won't give them that as far as I know, but if they can issue some sort of paper, they think they can bamboozle folks (and they probably can) that this is church wide policy.

Not that I agree in any way, shape or form with the RC stance on a woman's right to choose. And I am not RC, so this is based on what I know of how their polity mirrors my own denomination.

ballettmaus

That should have been the lead on every morning show!

:)💌
I think there were so many things that should have been the lead on every morning show.

Only no votes were Senate Republicans Ted Cruz and Mike Lee.
Because clearly, asking for clean drinking water and improving the wastewater infrastructure is outrageously partisan. Or something. I mean, how dare Democrats bring such a bill to the floor. :rolleyes:

Well, didn't you know, no one has ever picked a dandelion before him. :D (I think it was a sweet gesture though).

Dobre

Hmm. So it seems that both McConnell & Portman have bridges in their regions that need repair. And yet they are going to vote against doing so instead?

Biden’s Expansive Infrastructure Plan Hits Close to Home for McConnell​

President Biden’s infrastructure plan could fund a long-overdue revamp of the Brent Spence Bridge between Ohio and Kentucky. But the Senate Republican leader opposes it.

Dobre

Per this editorial & the press secretary:

"MS. PSAKI: Sure. That’s an excellent question. I think — I will check with FEMA and check with our team to see if there’s a consideration of that. But right now, the work is ongoing. As you know, there’s still more work to be done. Let me just provide, though, an update, since I know you follow this closely, but just for others.
So, as of a month ago, there were 5,667 [sic] — 5,767 children in CBP custody. There are now 954, as of new numbers that we’ve received. As of a month ago ... kids were in CBP custody for about 133 hours; it’s now 28 hours. So, there has been some progress that has been made, as you referred to."

Also another editorial with summarizes actions taken by Garland & the justice department this week:

"Garland is not flashy, does not hang out at the White House to get face time with the president, and stays off TV. But he is briskly turning around the Justice Department. Garland opened pattern-or-practice discrimination investigations of the Minneapolis and Louisville police departments. He issued hate crimes indictments against three Georgia men in connection with the February 2020 killing of Ahmaud Arbery. And he initiated prosecution against a Louisiana police officer for using “unreasonable force against an arrestee by punching him in the face and head, kneeing him in the stomach, tasing him in the neck and head, pistol-whipping him in the head, slamming his head into the ground, and kicking him in the face.” An indictment was also issued in West Virginia against a police officer for abusing an arrestee.

Without political interference or even discussion with the White House, the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York acted on warrants to grab documents at the home and office of Rudolph W. Giuliani, who served as personal lawyer to the disgraced former president."

"The bad news is that, in the face of a nationwide swarm of Jim Crow-style legislation impeding access to the ballot box, the department is operating with one hand tied behind its back. Without the pre-clearance provision in the Voting Rights Act (VRA), Garland cannot prevent such laws from taking effect. Whether Senate Democrats have the nerve to punch through the filibuster to protect the fundamental right to vote remains an open question."

What it's been like fact-checking Joe Biden through 100 days​

Dobre

Maybe Not Your Average Joe​

by Dan Rather

Dobre

Migrants Separated From Their Children Will Be Allowed Into U.S.​

A handful of parents from Mexico and Central America who were deported under the Trump administration’s family separation policy will be reunited this week with their children.

"Four parents from Mexico and Central America who were among thousands of migrants deported without their children under the Trump administration’s controversial family separation policy will be allowed to join their children in the United States this week, U.S. officials said on Sunday.

The parents, who are from Honduras, Guatemala and Mexico, will be the first families to reunite in the United States since the Biden administration began taking steps to unravel the 2018 policy that attempted to deter families from trying to enter the country by separating children and parents.

Another 30 migrants are expected to be allowed into the country in 30 to 60 days to reunite with their children, who like most others have been living with relatives in the United States, according to two sources familiar with the administration’s plans."

VGThuy

Is the Republican Party necessary? Democrats on the right sound like the Republicans I used to know. As far as I can tell, Republicans aren’t the least bit interested in governing. They offer no real policies, all they do is scream about how Biden’s coming for your burgers, or how having to wear masks is no different from the Holocaust. They are not a serious political party, certainly not my parents’ party.
That's how I feel. I think we do have a functioning democracy with at least two factions negotiating for laws to be passed. They just so happen to all call themselves Democrats.

clairecloutier

Finally some news on the status of voting rights bills in the Senate:

Sounds like Dems are still trying to find a strategy for this, but at least it's on the agenda and the Senate Rules Committee will shortly start work on amending/tightening the House bills.

ballettmaus

Migrants Separated From Their Children Will Be Allowed Into U.S.​

A handful of parents from Mexico and Central America who were deported under the Trump administration’s family separation policy will be reunited this week with their children.
Uh, the settlement asks for legal permanent residency? Why? It sounds kind of opportunist rather than compensatory. If some of the affected families were entitled to asylum, I'm completely fine with them being granted asylum, no questions asked. I'd also be okay if they are put on the waiting list as if they had applied for permanent residency this year; they're asking for financial compensation, they should then be able to afford the process. Another option could be to create a separate visa category for separated families. But I don't think they should get to skip the line and push those who have been waiting for years, even decades even further down the line. Those who have been waiting are not responsible for what happened, so they shouldn't be punished.

I think financial compensation and mental health services are a no-brainer.

Vagabond

Mr. Biden acknowledged that the government was unlikely to resettle 62,500 refugees because of budget and staffing cuts that agencies sustained during Mr. Trump’s administration. Mr. Biden did not say whether the government had already managed to accept the 15,000 refugees allowed by his predecessor.

“The sad truth is that we will not achieve 62,500 admissions this year,” he said. “We are working quickly to undo the damage of the last four years. It will take some time, but that work is already underway.”
Keep up the good work, Mr. President.

Last edited:

Jot the Dot Dot

Headstrong Buzzard

Keep up the good work, Mr. President.

Dang! The New York Times has taken this story down. 🤷‍♂️

I'll try to post a new or updated link.

ETA: Here's CNN's story.

Ah, just what the Koch brothers had been advocating, more immigration! On this, I agree with Sleepy Joe.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
Meanwhile, it has gone mostly unreported that the YKW Bill included significant tax cuts for low to middle income Americans. The headlines keep talking about tax hikes on the wealthy, but

New estimates by Congress’s official forecasters show Democrats’ tax cuts — included in their March stimulus package — will drive down tax rates on low- and middle-income people so much this year that those earning less than $75,000, on average, will owe nothing in federal income taxes.

This was reported by Fox5, but I heard it on the Maddow show.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information