The Biden-Harris Administration

caseyedwards

Reversing Trump, Biden Repeals Sanctions on Human Rights Prosecutor​

"President Biden on Friday revoked President Donald J. Trump’s executive order authorizing sanctions on top officials at the International Criminal Court, reversing a decision that put the United States at odds with many of its European allies.

The move comes after the Trump administration decided last year to sanction the court’s chief prosecutor, Fatou Bensouda, and a senior official, Phakiso Mochochoko, after the court opened an investigation into potential war crimes committed by American troops in Afghanistan. It also precedes, by days, a deadline for the Biden administration to respond to a lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of Mr. Trump’s executive action.

The reversal of the executive order means sanctions on Ms. Bensouda and Mr. Mochochoko will be lifted, Secretary of State Antony J. Blinken said in a statement announcing the administration’s decision. Additionally, travel restrictions the Trump administration placed on the court’s personnel in 2019 will be reversed, he said.

'These decisions reflect our assessment that the measures adopted were inappropriate and ineffective,' Mr. Blinken added."
Biden plans to send Americans charged with crimes to The Hague? I wonder how Americans would feel about that. It’s rare that Americans aren’t charged in America for crimes. Biden plans to try to halt US based prosecutions in favor of hague prosecutions? America can deal with its war criminals! These people could definitely indict obama for that wedding party in Yemen bombing. Does he plan to turn Obama over?

DELTA

• $115 billion for fixing up roads and bridges, as well as improving safety for drivers and cyclists
  • $85 billion for modernizing mass transit systems
  • $80 billion to fix Amtrak's maintenance backlog
  • $50 billion for disaster resilience
  • $25 billion to improve airports, including terminal renovation and improving car-free access to airports
  • $17 billion for inland waterways, ports, and ferries
  • $111 billion for clean drinking water (including removing lead pipes)

That's good. They're overspending on everything else.

Frau Muller

Proud Puerto Rican-Russkaya!
Are all of these men cabinet members? :wideeyes:
No. You can clearly see the Deputy Prime Minister, Tatiana Golikova, in the shot. Golikova is a fixture of Russian TV these days, as she’s overseeing the ***** response.

There are others farther away from the camera.

FYI, the head of the Upper House of the Russian Parliament, Valentina Matvienko, is 3rd most powerful office holder / next in the line of succession after President (Putin) & Prime Minister (Mishustin).

Last edited:

Dobre

Biden Effort to Combat Hunger Marks ‘a Profound Change’​

"With more than one in 10 households reporting that they lack enough to eat, the Biden administration is accelerating a vast campaign of hunger relief that will temporarily increase assistance by tens of billions of dollars and set the stage for what officials envision as lasting expansions of aid.

The effort to rush more food assistance to more people is notable both for the scale of its ambition and the variety of its legislative and administrative actions. The campaign has increased food stamps by more than $1 billion a month, provided needy children a dollar a day for snacks, expanded a produce allowance for pregnant women and children, and authorized the largest children’s summer feeding program in history.

'We haven’t seen an expansion of food assistance of this magnitude since the founding of the modern food stamp program in 1977,' said James P. Ziliak, an economist at the University of Kentucky who studies nutrition programs. 'It’s a profound change.'

"Speaking at an anti-hunger conference last month, the agriculture secretary, Tom Vilsack, outlined a kaleidoscope of recent initiatives. They include new subsidies to food banks, an outreach campaign in WIC, food aid for homeless young adults, grants for Puerto Rico and the Mariana Islands, and efforts to deliver more nutritious food.

Perhaps the most important change since the start of the ********* involves the temporary growth of SNAP benefits, which reach about one in eight Americans and one in four children.

The Biden administration settled legal challenges last week that will further raise benefits beyond those Democrats twice pushed through Congress last year. A federal judge ruled last fall that the Trump administration had erred in denying the poorest 40 percent of households the initial increase; in agreeing to raise those benefits, the Biden administration officials will expand assistance by more than a $1 billion a month."

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I should be picking on Republicans not Manchin but this came across my screen:

Sen. Joe Manchin III (D-W.Va.) said Monday that he does not support Biden’s plan to raise the corporate tax rate from 21 percent to 28 percent to help pay for his jobs and infrastructure plan, and reiterated that he would support an increase to only 25 percent.

I mean, the increase to 28% is according to what I've seen only taking back HALF of Trump's tax cut which did nothing for anyone except rich shareholders. We can't even afford to go half way back to where we were before Trump?!

And what's the alternative? Apparently its user fees according to the Chamber of Commerce so that infrastructure improvements will be paid for mostly by the average joes.

Aren't we tired of this con game by now?

Infrastructure, the expanded notion of it in Biden's plans, is an investment in our future that is absolutely necessary if people want the US to be a leading country in the world with a good standard of living for everyone.

If we don't make these investments our country will decay and decline. And taking back Trump's tax cut would not make us a high tax country; its entirely feasible.

There's a point at which you have to question whether opponents really want to invest in the US and a future for us all.

ballettmaus

I mean, the increase to 28% is according to what I've seen only taking back HALF of Trump's tax cut which did nothing for anyone except rich shareholders. We can't even afford to go half way back to where we were before Trump?!
I think/wonder if he's just doing stuff like that for kicks. There's just a little something each and every time before he agrees, so it gives me the impression that he knows they need his vote and he's enjoying that.

once_upon

I think/wonder if he's just doing stuff like that for kicks. There's just a little something each and every time before he agrees, so it gives me the impression that he knows they need his vote and he's enjoying that.
I cant find the link but that's essentially what he said - he's in an important position and makes decisions that affect everyone

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Of course he is. Moreover, it gives him campaign points in a very red state to say he wasn't in lock step with his party. Until there is a bigger Dem majority in the Senate, he has this leverage. And, lest anybody thinks there is a more progressive candidate to primary him, there is not.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Of course he is. Moreover, it gives him campaign points in a very red state to say he wasn't in lock step with his party.
^This. He's protecting his electoral position. He has to be seen as not doing everything Biden wants or he becomes vulnerable to a Republican challenger.

He may get a kick of it but that's not the reason for his doing it. But in this case -- corporate taxes -- I'm not so sure he's really reflecting what his constituents want so much as just inserting himself on the Republican side of the issue, one that reveals the Republicans "populism" as so much fluff to gain votes from people who aren't looking very hard while raking in the dough from the wealthy.

demetriosj

Infrastructure, the expanded notion of it in Biden's plans, is an investment in our future that is absolutely necessary if people want the US to be a leading country in the world with a good standard of living for everyone.
Then why is only 5% going to infrastructure?

rfisher

Let the skating begin
^This. He's protecting his electoral position. He has to be seen as not doing everything Biden wants or he becomes vulnerable to a Republican challenger.

He may get a kick of it but that's not the reason for his doing it. But in this case -- corporate taxes -- I'm not so sure he's really reflecting what his constituents want so much as just inserting himself on the Republican side of the issue, one that reveals the Republicans "populism" as so much fluff to gain votes from people who aren't looking very hard while raking in the dough from the wealthy.
t
ITA. The voting public in WV is not concerned with corporate tax increases. Now, if it were small business, then yes, but not for billionaire CEOs, even our current governor. Now, he can campaign on exactly that....that he was protecting small business from tax increases. One of my faculty owns a Subway franchise. He's a dyed in the wool Republican (who bitched every day that a $15 minimum wage would cost him so much money...he couldn't care less about his employees...he's only interested in his profit margin) and he is exactly the voter who will nod about Manchin. You need to see how Capato is voting, albeit, she's in GOP lockstep and does what Mitch tells her to do, but Manchin doesn't want to get to far afield. Ironically, some of what he's done is contrary to the governor's position (the relief bill for example). But, his GOP opponent will look for ways to paint Manchin as a radical left (not that anybody will buy that) so Joe is already making campaign ads about how he was his own man and opposed the WH for blah, blah, blah.

Vagabond

A top Senate official ruled on Monday that Democrats could use the fast-track budget reconciliation process for a second time this fiscal year, potentially handing them broader power to push through President Biden’s agenda, including his infrastructure plan, over Republican opposition.

The decision by the parliamentarian means that Democrats can essentially reopen the budget plan they passed in February and add directives to enact the infrastructure package or other initiatives, shielding them from a filibuster that requires 60 votes to overcome.
How nice! :)

Frau Muller

Proud Puerto Rican-Russkaya!
t
ITA. The voting public in WV is not concerned with corporate tax increases. Now, if it were small business, then yes, but not for billionaire CEOs, even our current governor. Now, he can campaign on exactly that....that he was protecting small business from tax increases. One of my faculty owns a Subway franchise. He's a dyed in the wool Republican (who bitched every day that a $15 minimum wage would cost him so much money...he couldn't care less about his employees...he's only interested in his profit margin) and he is exactly the voter who will nod about Manchin. You need to see how Capato is voting, albeit, she's in GOP lockstep and does what Mitch tells her to do, but Manchin doesn't want to get to far afield. Ironically, some of what he's done is contrary to the governor's position (the relief bill for example). But, his GOP opponent will look for ways to paint Manchin as a radical left (not that anybody will buy that) so Joe is already making campaign ads about how he was his own man and opposed the WH for blah, blah, blah.
It’s a miracle that there’s still a Democrat Senator from WV. Manchin knows what he has to do to survive.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
The Republicans massively blew their chance. They controlled both Houses of Congress and had a president who was all for an infrastructure plan in 2017. What did they do?

Nothing.

This is where if it were a functioning party they'd overthrow Mitch McConnell because nobody is more responsible for that missed political opportunity than he is. He wanted only one thing: tax cuts for the rich and corporations.

And his followers such as they are said that would do the same as an infrastructure program because if you give the corporations general tax cuts they'll invest it in ... public infrastructure... sure...

And thus the only hope for the Republican Party in the near term is for the Biden adminstration to crash and burn because the Republicans are offering no alternative. They could lick their wounds and build back up to gain support by being a constructive player but they are going to choose the McConnell way of total obstruction and hope that crashes everything so they can take advantage of chaos. Except their talent is sowing chaos, not fixing it.

We need a new major party, a totally revamped Republican or Conservative Party because this is ridiculous.

caseyedwards

The Republicans massively blew their chance. They controlled both Houses of Congress and had a president who was all for an infrastructure plan in 2017. What did they do?

Nothing.

This is where if it were a functioning party they'd overthrow Mitch McConnell because nobody is more responsible for that missed political opportunity than he is. He wanted only one thing: tax cuts for the rich and corporations.

And his followers such as they are said that would do the same as an infrastructure program because if you give the corporations general tax cuts they'll invest it in ... public infrastructure... sure...

And thus the only hope for the Republican Party in the near term is for the Biden adminstration to crash and burn because the Republicans are offering no alternative. They could lick their wounds and build back up to gain support by being a constructive player but they are going to choose the McConnell way of total obstruction and hope that crashes everything so they can take advantage of chaos. Except their talent is sowing chaos, not fixing it.

We need a new major party, a totally revamped Republican or Conservative Party because this is ridiculous.
McConnell and Ryan number one priority in infrastructure was privatizing roads. Trumps number one priority was traditional government spending to fix roads. Ryan and McConnell would never pass that. Had no interest in that. If trump did something where he engineered the ouster of McConnell and Ryan maybe things would have been different! But most Republicans in DC are privatize roads people. But it’s not even clear that would pass either.

Pence was a big privatize roads guy! He loved that. That was the future of republican infrastructure plans before Trump scrambled things.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Manchin is now in the catbird seat more than ever as the parliamentarian has ruled that the infrastructure bill can be passed through budget reconciliation so only needs Democrats to pass.

I say give Manchin his 25% corporate income tax and get him on board!

Manchin is remembering what happened to Nick Rahall who lost his seat in the House after two decades when his GOP opponent plastered the airways with "Rahall voted with Obama" ads over and over and over. Rahall tried to counter with "Not all the time" but it was too late. Joe, was Governor and has a vivid memory of the election. He's not going to make that mistake. Now, an infrastructure bill is very much needed back home so I suspect he'll be on board. The state is in desperate need of broadband expansion

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Manchin is remembering what happened to Nick Rahall who lost his seat in the House after two decades when his GOP opponent plastered the airways with "Rahall voted with Obama" ads over and over and over. Rahall tried to counter with "Not all the time" but it was too late. Joe, was Governor and has a vivid memory of the election. He's not going to make that mistake. Now, an infrastructure bill is very much needed back home so I suspect he'll be on board. The state is in desperate need of broadband expansion
Biden should sweeten the pot with something specific that is a big project that would bring jobs to West Virginia. It would be totally justified, WV needs help!

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Biden should sweeten the pot with something specific that is a big project that would bring jobs to West Virginia. It would be totally justified, WV needs help!
Yes, he should and if Shelly Moore Capito doesn't get on board, that would be a win for whoever opposes her next time along with Carol Miller aka buffalo woman who has done nada since she's been in the HOR except vote against Democrats and for Trump. And, it wouldn't be that hard to get the Republican governor on board as well as he'd use it to his advantage. WV is way ahead of the national norm with ********* vaccines due in no small part to Justice. There are opportunities here for Manchin and Biden.

sk8pics

I heard McConnell on the news today telling the corporations speaking out against the new legislation on voting in Georgia to "stay out of politics." My first thought, Gee, are you going to give back all that money that corporations have donated to your and other campaigns? :rolleyes: :lol:

caseyedwards

Republicans don’t know how to deal with corporations becoming leaders of the left on social issues! Do they adopt all social liberalism too? Do they stop opposing voter ID? They just want corporations to be happy to give them money so they can get their tax cuts! But there is a huge conflict. Most corporations still want the enormous tax cuts but are pro gay pro trans pro choice, pro gun control. Almost Totally liberal organizations. They are BLM and universal mail ballots. They used to only be give us tax cuts

overedge

G.O.A.T.
Then why is only 5% going to infrastructure?

If he spent more, you would be screaming about him wasting taxpayer dollars :rolleyes:

BTW you might be interested in this:

Dobre

And thus the only hope for the Republican Party in the near term is for the Biden adminstration to crash and burn because the Republicans are offering no alternative.
They're going to vote against the plan. Then they are going to run for office based on the money & jobs it brings into their regions. They'll claim the credit because they were in office when it happened.
Yes.

MsZem

5% of a supposed "Infrastructure" bill is going to infrastructure. The other 95% to what? "Reimagining" infrastructure?
Source?

Here's the first one I found:

Doesn't look like 5% to me! Maybe you have a very specific definition of what infrastructure means?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information