The Biden-Harris Administration

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races

They are converting a large portion of federally owned vehicles to electric, so they are certainly expecting more.

To encourage electric cars, there need to be enough charging stations.

Amy L

Biden taps Sec. Buttigieg, four other cabinet heads to lead push for $2T infrastructure plan

Biden, speaking at his first full cabinet meeting in the East Room of the White House, said the push for his so-called “American Jobs Plan” will be lead by Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg, Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm, Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo, Housing and Urban Development Secretary Marcia Fudge and Labor Secretary Marty Walsh.

All 5 are former mayors or governors, aka people who know how to talk to constituents. Loving that no one in the room was Biden's child, in-law, or golfing buddy.

Dobre

I have a PHEV and have no trouble getting it fixed. I have never heard from anyone in our EV group that this is a problem.
There is nowhere within two hours of here that would repair an electric vehicle. My sister was given one free when her friend moved across the ocean, and she kept it while in Portland to use for commuting & local stuff. She didn't think she would be able to give it away as the parts are no longer available, but fortunately she found someone that ordered parts on e-bay. Hence, as far as I know, the car is still being used. Though it's really only good for driving in the Metro area.

MacMadame

Staying at home
There is nowhere within two hours of here that would repair an electric vehicle.
Any electric vehicle or just that specific one? Lots of car manufacturers are selling EVs now and they all service them.

said the push for his so-called “American Jobs Plan”
So I'm confused. It is not actually called the American Jobes Plan? 🤔

Dobre

Biden Launches Effort to Combat ********* Vaccine Hesitancy​

"The Biden administration announced an initiative to promote vaccination among Americans on Thursday, launching an ad campaign and a community corps made up of local leaders and trusted organizations to help promote the benefits of *********-19 vaccines to the public."

"The Department of Health and Human Services announced that 275 organizations are taking part in the *********-19 Community Corps with the intention of members of the public joining to 'become leaders within their own communities to help get friends, family, and neighbors vaccinated.'"

"Those who sign up to be a member of the corps will receive information on the safety of *********-19 vaccines and tips on talking to loved ones and their communities about how important it is to get vaccinated. In addition to average Americans, the initiative has partnered with the NFL, NASCAR, the American Medical Association, and rural organizations such as the American Farm Bureau and the National Corn Growers Association.

One major objective of the plan is reaching communities of color, with the corps teaming up with several HBCUs and other prominent groups such as the NAACP, Ciencia Puerto Rico, and the National Council of Urban Indian Health."

Vagabond

One major objective of the plan is reaching communities of color, with the corps teaming up with several HBCUs and other prominent groups such as the NAACP, Ciencia Puerto Rico, and the National Council of Urban Indian Health."
The Administration needs to reach other minority communities too, like Trump voters. :shuffle:

Dobre

The Administration needs to reach other minority communities too, like Trump voters. :shuffle:

Missed this sentence, did you?
In addition to average Americans, the initiative has partnered with the NFL, NASCAR, the American Medical Association, and rural organizations such as the American Farm Bureau and the National Corn Growers Association.

Vagabond

I missed the bit about NASCAR.

Even though the A.M.A. probably has a relatively high proportion of Republicans in it, I suspect that the Administration is not as worried about vaccinating physicians as it is about vaccinating their clients.

Dobre

My thoughts about the cost of the infrastructure bill are a. there are going to be negotiations so we don't really have any idea what the costs are ultimately going to be and b. if Republicans are worried about costs, then they need to do the legwork & create an alternative plan. (And not by sticking their heads in the sand & pretending climate change isn't a problem. If we dawdle around on climate-friendly technology & infrastructure, we are the ones that will be left behind while the rest of the world moves forward). Thus far, though, all I've seen are either editorials from people who support the plan or folks who are concerned about the cost & want Democrats to change the cost.

Do the work. This is why people like balanced government. They expect the opposition to do the work. If Republicans aren't going to do the work to offer a balanced alternative, then I'm going to listen to the leaders doing the work.

Here is an editorial from someone who likes the plan:

Bidenomics Is as American as Apple Pie​

And here is the Friedman editorial:

The Biden Boom​

(If Friedman likes it--and he does--my dad will like it).

Last edited:

Dobre

Exclusive: Nearly 7 million uninsured Americans qualify for free health insurance​

Biden’s next health care challenge will be enrolling uninsured people who already qualify for benefits.

"After the passage of President Joe Biden’s first *********-19 relief plan, nearly 7 million additional uninsured Americans now qualify for free health insurance through the Affordable Care Act, according to new federal projections shared exclusively with Vox.

The American Rescue Plan (ARP), which takes effect on Thursday, expanded eligibility for the Affordable Care Act’s premium subsidies — federal aid to help people pay for insurance plans bought on the individual marketplace. It also made the subsidies more generous for the people who already qualify for them. It expanded the number of people currently without any insurance coverage who could enroll in a plan for free."

caseyedwards

My thoughts about the cost of the infrastructure bill are a. there are going to be negotiations so we don't really have any idea what the costs are ultimately going to be and b. if Republicans are worried about costs, then they need to do the legwork & create an alternative plan. (And not by sticking their heads in the sand & pretending climate change isn't a problem. If we dawdle around on climate-friendly technology & infrastructure, we are the ones that will be left behind while the rest of the world moves forward). Thus far, though, all I've seen are either editorials from people who support the plan or folks who are concerned about the cost & want Democrats to change the cost.

Do the work. This is why people like balanced government. They expect the opposition to do the work. If Republicans aren't going to do the work to offer a balanced alternative, then I'm going to listen to the leaders doing the work.

The Biden Boom​

The main proposal from republicans is the government selling a lot of federal highways to private companies to manage! Democrats aren’t open to that at all. All democrats believe all roads need to be public. So the main republican proposal isn’t even considered whatsoever by democrats. Republicans could move on to another proposal and some do support cap and trade taxes but that’s not a common viewpoint. Raising taxes on companies was like a think tank “what’s a conservative way to do a liberal thing we really don’t support” thought experiment.

caseyedwards

Manchin spoke about the plan to have people apply for asylum in their home country! Is this a real plan? Does anyone in America anywhere have any proof that a denial of asylum will mean the people won’t come to America anyway? If they do come they will be called dreamers and given citizenship. So why would anyone anyplace in Central America overrun by gangs respect a denial of asylum claim? I would love to hear why someone would respect a denial and not leave Guatemala.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge

The Biden Boom​

My thoughts are that the MMT people are correct in this case and money spent to create jobs and value for your country doesn't have to be paid for.

It seems like the Republicans main concern is the raising of taxes so they ought to just accept MMT so they can support infrastructure spending and not raise taxes.

I'm thinking that while they don't want to raise taxes they mainly are experiencing a total political paralysis based on their commitment to total opposition to anything the Democrats do. You kind of paint yourself into a corner when you paint the opposition as supreme evil that must be defeated at all costs. You can't exactly compromise with evil.

The Republicans have dug themselves such a hole. They acknowledge the need for infrastructure spending, but don't like the suggestion of corporate tax increases. Simple, propose another way of paying for it. They can't do that because they have to either support what amounts to a tax increase on someone somewhere, or they have to endorse deficit spending. (Or perhaps campaign on ending Medicare and Social Security and taking that money :rolleyes: )

Trump campaigned on a infrastructure program in 2016. The Republicans had two years of total control in DC to do something and never put anything forward at all. Its similar to their Obamacare trajectory. They wanted to repeal Obamacare but could never put forward an alternative because any alternative would have required government programs and spending.

Basically they are the party of No. And that means they can't do anything. And we're coming to a point where there are too many things that a large majority of Americans support doing. There's no future in No.

MacMadame

Staying at home
It seems like the Republicans main concern is the raising of taxes so they ought to just accept MMT so they can support infrastructure spending and not raise taxes.
That would be fun!

I don't think they ever will though because I think believing there are limited resources and we have to horde them and also punish the less successful/other is just a core part of their being.

caseyedwards

I'm thinking that while they don't want to raise taxes they mainly are experiencing a total political paralysis based on their commitment to total opposition to anything the Democrats do. You kind of paint yourself into a corner when you paint the opposition as supreme evil that must be defeated at all costs. You can't exactly compromise with evil.

The Republicans have dug themselves such a hole. They acknowledge the need for infrastructure spending, but don't like the suggestion of corporate tax increases. Simple, propose another way of paying for it. They can't do that because they have to either support what amounts to a tax increase on someone somewhere, or they have to endorse deficit spending. (Or perhaps campaign on ending Medicare and Social Security and taking that money :rolleyes: )

Trump campaigned on a infrastructure program in 2016. The Republicans had two years of total control in DC to do something and never put anything forward at all. Its similar to their Obamacare trajectory. They wanted to repeal Obamacare but could never put forward an alternative because any alternative would have required government programs and spending.

Basically they are the party of No. And that means they can't do anything. And we're coming to a point where there are too many things that a large majority of Americans support doing. There's no future in No.
The reason why there was never a republican infrastructure bill was because trump wanted traditional spending and yan and McConnell wanted road privatization. They couldn’t get the votes for one without the other and it doesn’t seem Trump and lots of others were on board with the road privatization. Or leasing! The roads don’t have to be sold just leased to private companies.

On healthcare the issue was some conservatives did want to try to get rid of Health insurance companies and go to a new system

Health care sharing plans are provided by organizations whose members “share” medical costs.As part of a health care sharing plan, you are responsible for paying in a certain share amount each month (like a premium) as well as an “annual unshared amount” for your own expenses (like a deductible) that your medical ...

Insurance company republicans made this a non starter

Last edited:

Dobre

Jill Biden pranked everyone on her flight home by posing as a flight attendant handing out ice cream bars

U.S. economy added 916,000 jobs in March, as vaccinations spur return to normal​

Women in construction could get a big boost from Biden’s infrastructure plan​

"The announcement arrived earlier this week, when President Biden unveiled the first of two infrastructure proposals, this one focused on goals like rebuilding bridges, fixing highways, and upgrading transit systems across the country. As part of Biden’s vision for expanding the U.S. workforce to make these plans feasible, the administration has pledged to invest $48 million in workforce development. That funding includes a special focus on creating new registered apprenticeship slots as well as support for pre-apprenticeship programs for women and people of color, to ensure they are allowed an equal share of those opportunities."

Dobre

Reversing Trump, Biden Repeals Sanctions on Human Rights Prosecutor​

"President Biden on Friday revoked President Donald J. Trump’s executive order authorizing sanctions on top officials at the International Criminal Court, reversing a decision that put the United States at odds with many of its European allies.

The move comes after the Trump administration decided last year to sanction the court’s chief prosecutor, Fatou Bensouda, and a senior official, Phakiso Mochochoko, after the court opened an investigation into potential war crimes committed by American troops in Afghanistan. It also precedes, by days, a deadline for the Biden administration to respond to a lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of Mr. Trump’s executive action.

The reversal of the executive order means sanctions on Ms. Bensouda and Mr. Mochochoko will be lifted, Secretary of State Antony J. Blinken said in a statement announcing the administration’s decision. Additionally, travel restrictions the Trump administration placed on the court’s personnel in 2019 will be reversed, he said.

'These decisions reflect our assessment that the measures adopted were inappropriate and ineffective,' Mr. Blinken added."

Frau Muller

Proud Puerto Rican-Russkaya!
The entire cabinet looks great but I get a special kick out of seeing Harris and Haaland in those kind of shots. Huge steps in the right direction; makes me hungry for more of those!
My special kick comes from seeing Latinos/Latinas/LatinX in the Cabinet, eg, Becerra, Guzman, Mayorkas...AND, although not in the formal cabinet, having Julie Chavez, the granddaughter of Cesar Chavez, as a White House Director (inter-gov’tl aff.)!

SI, SE PUEDE!!! 🤜

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information