The Biden-Harris Administration

Vagabond

Avril Haines said she would release the US intelligence report on Jamal Khashoggi's murder.
According to the report, Prince Mohammed “fostered an environment” where his aides feared that any failure to follow his orders could result in their arrest. “This suggests that the aides were unlikely to question Mohammed bin Salman’s orders or undertake sensitive actions without his consent,” the report said.
Mohammed bin Salman reminds me of someone much closer to home.

Dobre

The U.S. has reached 50 million vaccinations:).

Biden, Harris mark 50 million *********-19 vaccinations in the U.S.​

Biden visits Texas as state recovers from historic winter storm​

Jennifer Granholm has been confirmed.

Former Michigan Gov. Granholm confirmed as energy secretary​

Last edited:

Dobre

My senator posted a new update about the effort to speed up the process of uniting migrant kids with sponsors:

Amid surge, US tries to expedite release of migrant children​

"U.S. Health and Human Services on Wednesday authorized operators of long-term facilities to pay for some of the children’s flights and transportation to the homes of their sponsors. Under the agency's current guidelines, sponsors can be charged for those flights and required to pay before the government will release children, even if the sponsors have been vetted by the government.

Those costs can sometimes exceed $1,000 per child.

An internal memo sent Wednesday and obtained by The Associated Press authorizes facility operators to use government funding for transport fees “in the event that a sponsor is not able to pay fees associated with commercial airfare, and a child’s physical release would be otherwise delayed.” HHS declined to say how many flights would be funded."

The article also covers other challenges faced.

Biden administration expands unemployment insurance rules to allow workers who turned down unsafe job offers

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
For those interested in the immigration issue, Planet America in Australia covered it very well the other night on their show. The whole episode is there. The relevant section of the program is at 43 minute mark of the clip.

ballettmaus

Starting Monday, the WH has said they will no longer cover the required YKW tests for WH journalists. https://tinyurl.com/2n2sxmn9
The proposed cost for each test: $170.

The fees would add up quickly for larger news organizations, too. The TV networks send as many as eight people a day to the White House grounds to report, produce and operate cameras and equipment. It would cost $1,360 a day to test an eight-person crew under the White House plan.

I understand their reasoning and I don't know how I feel about taxpayers paying for those costs in general (journalists are relying on access journalism in a way that I think led them to cover Trump (an authoritarian) in a wrong way) but I don't think this is okay as, as mentioned in the article, it puts smaller news outlets at a disadvantage.

MsZem

As per the Washington Post article that MacMadame posted, journalists who are part of the pool and with assigned seats to the press briefing are NOT required to pay for tests. It's true that this doesn't cover a lot of people, e.g. TV camera crew members, those with other forms of access.

manhn

Beyond the theoretical, how many small town local reporters are at these press briefings? MSNBC, etc can afford to test their employees. I am surprised they were paid by the govt in the first place. In Canada, press conferences are still mainly virtual.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
I just had a test through my local Urgent Care site. I booked it myself; no doctor was involved. It was free to me. My insurance covered it. They did not ask why I wanted a test.

So.What is this paying for C O V I D tests thingie???

once_upon

I just had a test through my local Urgent Care site. I booked it myself; no doctor was involved. It was free to me. My insurance covered it. They did not ask why I wanted a test.

So.What is this paying for C O V I D tests thingie???
There are testing sites who won't file paperwork and require upfront payment. There are testing sites charging up to $1500 or more for testing (they do file insurance).

I assume the testing MacMadame is talking about is required daily for pressroom access. I dont know how often anyone's insurance company will pay?

I'm not sure how I feel about the change for press.

I do know that the Hospice staff dealing with dad did weekly testing, not daily. And the rapid screen testing.

ballettmaus

A free press is essential to democracy.
They don't need to be at the White House to be a free press, and they can cover the White House effectively without being at the White House. Others have done it before them.

For me, that is separate from the testing situation though. I don't like that news outlets have to pay for the tests because it puts the smaller outlets at a disadvantage but I also don't think taxpayers should pay for them. I do think tests are necessary though, so I don't know how this could be resolved. Maybe the pharma industry should pay for them and/or make them a whole lot cheaper?

MacMadame

Staying at home
Maybe the pharma industry should pay for them and/or make them a whole lot cheaper?
I'd be down for them making them cheaper just on principle. But I still think the WH should pay for them. They've been paying for them all along up until now and we're months away from everyone in the press room being vaccinated. Why be petty now?

If they aren't going to pay for them, they need to go to zoom press briefings like a lot of other government officials do.

And I think any artificial limits on the press are problematic. It's like requiring voter id. It might seem innocuous but it limits people in an unacceptable way.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
Btw, what I got was a rapid test- I had the results on my phone before I got home- about 15 minutes. This is way different from the situation last summer here when rapid tests were less available. So it seemed odd to me that folks in DC are being gouged for testing more than us in the sticks of CT.

A friend gets tested once a week and had not been charged either.

So I created a fake 35 year old CVS patient who lives in DC, and has no health problems, and did the preliminary questions, to schedule a CVS test. I got the following response:

Is there an out-of-pocket cost for patients with insurance?​

Patients with insurance should not have any out-of-pocket costs for a covered *********-19 test, but you should check with your health plan to confirm before scheduling a test. If you have health insurance, you must bring your card with you to the test site. For patients who test negative for *********-19 through a rapid test and come into the clinic, the clinic visit should be considered part of your test by your health plan. You likely will not have any out-of-pocket costs for the in-clinic visit, or for testing to further evaluate *********-like symptoms, but you should check with your health plan to confirm coverage. You will be responsible for any patient cost share as determined by your insurance. If active coverage cannot be located, your test will be submitted to the federal program for the uninsured for payment

If the patient had no coverage, cost was $139. He might or might not get money back from the federal program for the uninsured.

So my mythical reporter probably has insurance, and so probably can get the test for no co pay, if he works for a news service for a middle class salary. If he is a free lancer on Medicaid, he is probably paid for, too, as are Medicare folk (me).

CVS does not guarantee availability of rapid test, not does any other group.

A search on free ********* testing in DC yielded this:

Free tests are offered at four firehouses in DC. So I see no reason that the fed should pay for reporters to get tests, when whether they have insurance or not, they can get tests for free in DC.

Last edited:

Vagabond

I understand their reasoning and I don't know how I feel about taxpayers paying for those costs in general (journalists are relying on access journalism in a way that I think led them to cover Trump (an authoritarian) in a wrong way) but I don't think this is okay as, as mentioned in the article, it puts smaller news outlets at a disadvantage.

Washington, D.C. is providing testing to individuals who are unable to perform their daily work from home.
individuals who have health insurance will be asked to provide their insurance information when registering for a test at a public site. Residents will continue to receive testing at no cost, and no one will be charged a copay for testing. Individuals without insurance will continue to receive free testing. No one will be turned away or charged.
Why the White House should be paying for such testing given these rules is escapes me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information