The Biden-Harris Administration

ballettmaus

For me, I really don't care about journalists calling out senators for their double standards.
It probably wouldn't make much of a difference to those who aren't already aware of it but I still like to cling to the hope that it might.

Because that would open up a can of worms for some networks(msm) and journalists who have HAD Neera Tanden on as paid contributor. Also, it would shine a light on their own copiability of double standards.
Since I think the MSM is in need of some serious self-reflection, I don't think that would be such a bad thing.

Dobre

I really don't know too much about this nominee

Here is the thread Jennifer Rubin posted about Tanden earlier today. She quotes a letter sent to senators. I would like to see a copy of the actual letter if someone else can find it. Nothing came up when I searched. I take it that everything inside the quotes in Jennifer's posts--which I've posted below--comes from this letter.

A letter sent to senators from groups ranging from AFL-CIO to SEIU and NARAL on pearl clutching on tweets from
@neeratanden: after Trump nominees "with far more questionable records clearly amounts to a racist, sexist double standard that does not serve the American people."

"she has shown a willingness to work across the aisle on matters of shared concern, to reach out to businesses as well as labor leaders to build consensus, and to consult with the people most directly affected by the policy at hand to make progress for working families"

"Ms. Tanden has spent her entire career focused on advancing policies that advance gender equity, to expand opportunity for all Americans and promote our nation’s economic growth"

"She has focused extensively on policies to help rural communities which often are less likely to have access to the economic investments, infrastructure, and other supports critical to achieving and maintaining economic stability"

Also here is an article about her:
She grew up as one of two daughters to a single mom.

"We relied on food stamps to eat. We relied on Section 8 housing vouchers to pay the rent. We relied on the social safety net to get back on our feet," Tanden revealed at the Biden Transition team's headquarters in Wilmington, Del., according to NPR. "This country gave [my mother] a fair shot to reach the middle class, and she made it work." After nabbing her job, Tanden added of her mother (via India's The Tribune), "Before long, she was able to buy us our own home in Bedford, Massachusetts, and see her children off to college, and beyond."

Last edited:

once_upon

Here is the thread Jennifer Rubin posted about Tanden earlier today. She quotes a letter sent to senators. I would like to see a copy of the actual letter if someone else can find it. Nothing came up when I searched. I take it that everything inside the quotes in Jennifer's posts--which I've posted below--comes from this letter.

A letter sent to senators from groups ranging from AFL-CIO to SEIU and NARAL on pearl clutching on tweets from
@neeratanden: after Trump nominees "with far more questionable records clearly amounts to a racist, sexist double standard that does not serve the American people."

"she has shown a willingness to work across the aisle on matters of shared concern, to reach out to businesses as well as labor leaders to build consensus, and to consult with the people most directly affected by the policy at hand to make progress for working families"

"Ms. Tanden has spent her entire career focused on advancing policies that advance gender equity, to expand opportunity for all Americans and promote our nation’s economic growth"

"She has focused extensively on policies to help rural communities which often are less likely to have access to the economic investments, infrastructure, and other supports critical to achieving and maintaining economic stability"

Also here is an article about her:
She grew up as one of two daughters to a single mom.

"We relied on food stamps to eat. We relied on Section 8 housing vouchers to pay the rent. We relied on the social safety net to get back on our feet," Tanden revealed at the Biden Transition team's headquarters in Wilmington, Del., according to NPR. "This country gave [my mother] a fair shot to reach the middle class, and she made it work." After nabbing her job, Tanden added of her mother (via India's The Tribune), "Before long, she was able to buy us our own home in Bedford, Massachusetts, and see her children off to college, and beyond."
My response was more that Clinton was not part of the Tanden's performance or nor should be part of the confirmation process. Just the prejudice of the person who brought Clinton into the discussion

Dobre

Emotional clip from today's hearing with Garland talking about his grandparents fleeing persecution and how he wants to give back to the country that took in his family:

(The administration is mooting the work-requirement cases scheduled for The Supreme Court, probably another scenario in which the cases were purposely scheduled for late under the possibility that they would be mooted when Biden became president).

Dobre

Biden announces changes in loan program aimed at aiding small and minority-owned businesses​

"President Joe Biden announced changes Monday to the Paycheck Protection Program aimed at ensuring more small and minority-owned business are able to qualify for federal assistance as a result of the economic turmoil caused by the ******** *********.

The changes are intended to facilitate loans for contractors and self-employed people, noncitizens who are lawful U.S. residents and business owners with previous nonfraud convictions, Biden said. It will also open a 14-day window starting March 9 for businesses with fewer than 20 employees to apply for relief."

topaz

@topaz I really don't know too much about this nominee, but the fact you had to/felt the absolute need to bring Hillary into it says a lot about why you hate this nominee.

Actually it does not.

Neera Tanden has been involved in Hilary Clinton's campaigns since 2000, she's a self identified Clinton loyalist. Hilary Clinton is still a powerful player in Democratic politics, her input and influence is still very present in the party. Someone asked why was she even nominated for the cabinet position and I provided my opinion.

I despise Neera Tanden based solely on her own merits; Head of CFAP(Center for American Progress). She's a war hawk. She is an embodiment of corporate Democratic policies. Aint' no body got time for 1994 political and economic ideas of governing. I've seen her social media posts that demean progressive journalists, organizers and regular people. I've seen her troll certain people on twitter. She's made comments that Libyans should be FORCED to turn over large portions of their oil revenues to repay the U.S for the costs of the US bombing Libya. Oh and she punched a reporter(former_) in the chest for questioning Clinton's past support for the Iraq invasion in 2008. That reporter Faiz Shakir served as chief editor for ThinkProgress. Tanden says "she pushed" him and did not slug him. Yet, a witness told the Times she punched him.

So Neera Tanden is a piece of work and all the spin the democrat leaning media sources are putting out there to 'save' her nomination won't cover up who she is.

There are several other women, women of color who Biden's team could have chosen instead of her.

FYI, Neera Tanden has supported in past cuts to medicare and social security. So, be careful what you ask for. If you think my hatred of HRC is reason why I dislike Tanden, maybe you should research her before commenting.

Last edited:

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Yes. Biden could have made a better choice. It's rather unsettling to see this one have her actions minimized or get a pass on this, especially from anyone who has been complaining about other bully politicians for years.

caseyedwards

“Dozens of migrant teens boarded vans Monday for the trip down a dusty road to a former man camp for oil field workers here, the first migrant child facility opened under the Biden administration.”

Because so much of America is absolutely determined to make any child who enters the United States with or without a citizen the huge rush into America is now overwhelming border control again!

Any legal process that could be created just can’t compete with the ease and convenience of just entering

Like the Biden and democrats bill doesn’t include anyone after January 1st 2021. But everyone knows democrats will pass a bill for them too. Democrats oppose making dreamers citizens if they enter after January 1st 2021? Why? lol

Dobre

Merrick Garland finally speaks. His words were worth the wait.​

“Dozens of migrant teens boarded vans Monday for the trip down a dusty road to a former man camp for oil field workers here, the first migrant child facility opened under the Biden administration.”

Because so much of America is absolutely determined to make any child who enters the United States with or without a citizen the huge rush into America is now overwhelming border control again!
I just read the article, and there are valid concerns raised in it. The people quoted within the article do a good job of explaining them so I will let people read the article themselves. Having said that, you've misrepresented the article. It describes the location as the "Cadillac" of child care holding facilities and says that the main reason for transferring the kids to this location is spacing during the *********.

My senator posted a while ago advocating for the timeline to be sped up on placing kids with sponsors. Then he followed up & said that something had been changed to speed it up; however, it's been too long & this particular senator is too prolific in his posts. So unfortunately I don't think I can go back & find out what change he was referencing. It might be reflected by the last paragraph in this article where it says the goal is 30 days as opposed to the 102 day average from 2020; but I can't be certain.

(I do think sponsors should be cleared first. We don't want kids to become victims of human trafficking. But I also think the concerns expressed within the article need to be addressed).

Dobre

‘Diplomacy Is Back’: Linda Thomas-Greenfield Is Confirmed as Biden’s U.N. Envoy​

"Ms. Thomas-Greenfield will have to plunge immediately — and publicly — into the U.N.’s work. Her confirmation came just as the United States is about to assume the presidency of the 15-member Security Council, the organization’s most powerful body, for March, under a rotating system. In that role, she will run the council’s meetings and announce its decisions."

"After college, she went to the University of Wisconsin for graduate school and joined the Foreign Service in 1982. In 1994, she was sent to Rwanda, near the start of the country’s genocide, where at one point she was mistaken by a man for a Tutsi woman he had been sent to kill. She escaped death by talking to him, she said.

'I used the power of kindness and compassion, and I would survive,' Ms. Thomas-Greenfield said during a TED Talk. Her experience there, she said, “changed my life forever.'"

"In his first month in office, Mr. Biden has rejoined the Paris Agreement, a U.N.-led collaboration to fight climate change. He has halted the Trump administration’s decision to withdraw from the World Health Organization, the U.N.’s public health arm. Mr. Biden has also moved to rejoin the Human Rights Council and has restored funding to the United Nations Population Fund, which provides family planning and reproductive services across the globe."

Last edited:

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
It is so refreshing to hear about people with education and credentials and lack of controversy (with a couple of exceptions) just being appointed into roles based on their qualifications and experience. Not because of how much money they paid to the guy they backed in the election.

ballettmaus

It's okay now because they're called migrant facilities and not cages.
It's okay because we can't let unaccompanied minors roam free (or would you prefer we release them onto the streets?) and they're not cages. Look at the photos. Read the article. I went to school in such a container because the original school building had asbestos and this was the quickest and most inexpensive way and they never bothered to build a real building because it worked. Refugees in Germany live in such containers. It's four walls and if there are proper beds, running water and heating they're acceptable temporary living conditions.

topaz

That's just wrong. Vampires have hearts, that's where you stake them. They don't have souls.

How can the Senate vote to confirm someone so ignorant??

Because TX voters....smh.

Beto almost beat him a few years ago. Hopefully, Beto will run again and he needs to start TODAY campaigning against Cruz. Do not let up on him for years.

Cruz' actions are not based on ignorance. I believe he just does not not give AF. Yet, Beto was phone banking in attempts to contact seniors to see if they need supplies.

rhapsody

It's okay because we can't let unaccompanied minors roam free (or would you prefer we release them onto the streets?) and they're not cages. Look at the photos. Read the article. I went to school in such a container because the original school building had asbestos and this was the quickest and most inexpensive way and they never bothered to build a real building because it worked. Refugees in Germany live in such containers. It's four walls and if there are proper beds, running water and heating they're acceptable temporary living conditions.

It's clear you only have a superficial understanding of this issue so I'll break it down for you. Unaccompanied minors do not cross the border on their own volition and have plans to just randomly show up in the US and roam the streets. They are being sent by family member to family member; usually because the parent is already in the US and finally managed to provide funds to bring their kids over.

The solution to this problem isn't sticking a 13 year-old migrant who most likely fled their country and endured the ICE treatment into a facility like this. They have family members. Track them and send them to the families they were supposed to get to while they wait for their court date. There is no need to further traumatize these kids with facilities like these and keeping them away from their families.

Your Melania Trump excuse that the parentless kids have it good enough because they have a bed and water is quite callous. They're human children, not dogs.

ballettmaus

It's clear you only have a superficial understanding of this issue so I'll break it down for you.
How absolutely generous of you. But I can read and used that skill to read beyond the headline of the article.

Unaccompanied minors do not cross the border on their own volition and have plans to just randomly show up in the US and roam the streets. They are being sent by family member to family member; usually because the parent is already in the US and finally managed to provide funds to bring their kids over.
So, your suggestion is that the kids just wait at the border and sleep on the street until their parents pick them up? (However you think they would get in touch with them).

The solution to this problem isn't sticking a 13 year-old migrant who most likely fled their country and endured the ICE treatment into a facility like this. They have family members. Track them and send them to the families they were supposed to get to while they wait for their court date. There is no need to further traumatize these kids with facilities like these and keeping them away from their families.

Oh look:
Most of these children arrive to the United States planning to reunite with sponsors — usually relatives or friends of the family. Office of Refugee Resettlement case managers work with the children to identify and conduct background checks on the sponsors. If cleared, children are released to live with them while they go through the immigration court process.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
An article about how things are a lot calmer in politics now that Trump has gone.

caseyedwards

But they have decided to say that cages are now facilities! They changed the words of some things to just work less. Maybe because of trust of Biden love of Biden love of democrats? The exact same thing that was a cage is now a Facility. So they chose to work less.

That’s just one example. Another example is having no Interest whatsoever is interviewing any American pipeline worker who lost a job! Zero Interest in doing that

Last edited:

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
I was surprised that Biden nominated Tanden for a cabinet position if only because she is so loudly political. It's one thing to have a POV, it's another to aggressively tear down the other side persistently and repeatedly. Why pick a candidate who is so obviously divisive?
There is also that pesky history from several years ago when she outed the employee who filed a sexual harassment complaint at a staff meeting. She claimed it was a slip of the tongue and she didn't mean to do it, however, her usual manner certainly indicates she has poor impulse control and what seems to be retaliation issues. IIRC, the sexual harasser got a couple days suspension while the complainant ended up leaving the company. The complaint described was clearly harassment, completely inappropriate and said to multiple employees. Tanden's apology-not-apology was more an expression of regret if the employee "FELT like she was not supported by their organization" and not that Tanden totally did not protect the employee or failed to properly oversee the handling of several harassment complaints. Note this all happened at a think tank org that produces reports and recommends best practices about handling workplace sexual harassment and assault cases.

Biden's quote from last month to White House staffers:
"I’m not joking when I say this: If you’re ever working with me and I hear you treat another colleague with disrespect, talk down to someone, I promise you I will fire you on the spot," he added. "On the spot. No ifs or buts."
People can toss it back to the crap senators all they want, but the bottom line comes across as very uneven if such behavior is completely off limits for lower level staffers but given a pass for higher ups. Tanden was a bad decision that has nothing to do with the whining and sideshow from Portman and disgruntled GOPs.

ballettmaus

But they have decided to say that cages are now facilities!
I'm 100% certain that you saw the pictures of children in chain-link fence cells. And if you haven't looked at the photos of the article yet then do so.
They are calling them facilities because they are facilities. They even have classrooms. And medical units.

The only thing that they need is proper oversight and more staff, so that they can process the children faster.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
McConnell will vote to confirm Merrick Garland.

And apparently, McConnell suggested Garland for FBI head during the Trump era

Attacks on Becerra's Catholic faith not gaining traction.

10 Republican senators sign letter asking Biden to withdraw Xavier Becerra's nomination for Health and Human Services.

That's too few. Becerra will likely be confirmed, too.

Last edited:

ballettmaus

Someone commented that perhaps Tanden was nominated as bait to take all the Republican wrath and serve as cover for Biden's other nominations, and frankly, it's the only way her nomination makes sense because she is such a deeply flawed candidate.
It doesn't seem to work since they're also voicing opposition against Haaland and we're currently drowning in ads against Becerra and I think, Gupta (I usually mute when they come on, so I'm not sure). I've also seen opposition to Murthy, although I can't remember if it was on TV or social media.

rhapsody

(However you think they would get in touch with them).

They have phones in Mexico too, mate.

How absolutely generous of you. But I can read and used that skill to read beyond the headline of the article.

So, your suggestion is that the kids just wait at the border and sleep on the street until their parents pick them up? (However you think they would get in touch with them).

Oh look:

You claim to be able to read but apparently you need to brush up on your comprehension. I literally suggested to just send over those kids to their sponsors as they wait instead of keeping them in cages.

Background checks are sort of a means testing with immigration; it's an unnecessary delay that hurts more than it claims to help.

Honest question: Is there any transparency around these facilities? Does the American public get to see what they look like and what goes on within the processing? What about the waiting time for the background checks? What do the background checks actually entail?

Because as someone who's had to help multiple family members with cases like these, it's clear that there is a disconnect between what the federal government says goes on in these "facilities" and what actually goes on in these cages.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information