The Biden-Harris Administration

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
Of course they do.

We have accepted Cubans and Venezuelans as asylum seekers from Communist regimes for a long time now. It falls under "fear of persecution for political opinion."

Asylum in the United States has three basic requirements. First, asylum applicants must not be convicted of a particularly serious crime or an aggravated felony.[5] Second, they must show a well-founded fear of persecution in their country of nationality and permanent residency.[6][7] Third, asylum applicants must prove that they would be persecuted on account of at least one of five protected grounds: race, religion, nationality, political opinion, or particular social group.[3][8][9]

Dobre

"Today, @HHSgov announced that premiums for Medicare Part B will decrease next year. That’s the fee you pay for Medicare to cover your visits to your doctor."

(According to the post this will be the first time that fee has gone down in a decade).

ETA: Here's an article to go with the post above.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love!
Pres. Biden was briefly in Puerto Rico yesterday (in a field next to the airport in Ponce). His comments about growing up near Puerto Ricans, in Delaware, seem odd. If New Castle is close to Philadelphia, then this might be true?

VALuvsMKwan

Wandering Goy
Pres. Biden was briefly in Puerto Rico yesterday (in a field next to the airport in Ponce). His comments about growing up near Puerto Ricans, in Delaware, seem odd. If New Castle is close to Philadelphia, then this might be true?

I know she is just one person, but Aubrey Plaza (April from "Parks and Recreation" and many other roles) was born in Wilmington, Delaware and her father is Puerto Rican.

And New Castle as related to Philadelphia:

As of the census[9] of 2000, there were 4,862 people, 2,012 households, and 1,339 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,594.6 inhabitants per square mile (615.7/km2). There were 2,199 housing units at an average density of 721.2 per square mile (278.5/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 77.48% White, 20.20% African American, 0.25% Native American, 0.39% Asian, 0.84% from other races, and 0.84% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.41% of the population.

nylynnr

I am no fan of Pres. Biden but IMO the twitter criticism of this remark is manufactured and overblown. Pres. Biden didn't say he grew up near Puerto Ricans, he said "I was sort of raised in the Puerto Rican community at home, politically." He has a history dating back decades of trying to use his personal history to connect with audiences.

Dobre

"The Department of Health and Human Services announced on Monday that it is opening applications for two grant programs totaling $280 million to support mental health services for students and young people in the United States.

One grant program will send money to schools to fund the hiring of more mental health professionals, while the other will provide for an increase in the number of mental health professionals in schools by investing in partnerships between school districts and colleges and universities."

"The White House announced that HHS will also be awarding $27 million for a program designed to train pediatricians working in emergency departments to provide mental health services."

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Biden pardons simple cannabis offences under federal law.

I am not into cannabis or any drugs, but this is commonsense and will help many people who may have had their lives affected.

Louis

Private citizen
Biden pardons simple cannabis offences under federal law.

I am not into cannabis or any drugs, but this is commonsense and will help many people who may have had their lives affected.

I agree and will give credit where credit is due. This is a good move, I say even as someone who is iffy about legalization v. decriminalization and iffy about whether weed is as harmless as people suggest.

MacMadame

Doing all the things

Will they be allowed to vote?
Yes, because they were pardoned. So it's like they never were convicted.

Now if he had only commuted their sentences, then it would depend on the laws in their state.

Susan1

Yes, because they were pardoned. So it's like they never were convicted.

Now if he had only commuted their sentences, then it would depend on the laws in their state.
How soon would a pardon go through, like immediately? And then I heard someone say that it's too late for them to register for this election anyway.

maureenfarone

How soon would a pardon go through, like immediately? And then I heard someone say that it's too late for them to register for this election anyway.
Voter registration deadline in Ohio is October 11 for the November election. I guess it depends on state law. Ohio law says absentee ballots can't be mailed out until the start of early voting which is October 12 in Ohio but many people on FSU in other states have already received and returned their absentee (or mail in) ballot so that is also controlled by state law.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I stumbled across a Twitter thread (can't find it now; it actually started with Jeopardy) that was about
Hunter Biden and they(Fox news) we're saying Joe Biden was involved. Reps will do anything to 'prove' that Biden is guilty of something, and try to impeach him. TBH I am worried. Hunter has done stupid things but he is an adult acting on his own.

Am I in the wrong thread?

Last edited:

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
Probably, this is as good as any. Recently, anonymous FBI agents said there is enough evidence to arrest Hunter on tax charges and for lying on a form you fill out to buy a gun.

Neither of those involves Joe. The tax charges are long known, and we are told Hunter has paid his back bills, which would mitigate sentencing maybe. The gun thing is new to me, but I doubt involved Joe as a father does not have to sign a gun application for an adult son.

The agents are anonymous because it is against policy to leak data on a on going investigation.

This is an excuse to do fake stories on Joe. Hunter Biden's laptop is the 2020-> version of "but her emails."

Susan1

Probably, this is as good as any. Recently, anonymous FBI agents said there is enough evidence to arrest Hunter on tax charges and for lying on a form you fill out to buy a gun.

Neither of those involves Joe. The tax charges are long known, and we are told Hunter has paid his back bills, which would mitigate sentencing maybe. The gun thing is new to me, but I doubt involved Joe as a father does not have to sign a gun application for an adult son.

The agents are anonymous because it is against policy to leak data on a on going investigation.

This is an excuse to do fake stories on Joe. Hunter Biden's laptop is the 2020-> version of "but her emails."
Except Hunter isn't running for anything or part of the administration. He's just a target for their hate. Stack him up against the trump crime family.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
CA allows same-day registration and so do some other states. 🤷

I'm not sure what you are getting at though. There aren't enough of these people to make a difference in any election happening right now anyway. I mean the headlines say it's thousands of people. Spread over the US. That's not a lot of people.

If this helps the Democrats, it would be because of the goodwill it generates among people who have been indirectly impacted (i.e., their loved ones are in prison) plus those that think it's wrong that these people were incarcerated. Not because a few extra thousands can now vote.

caseyedwards

Article about mayor adams in NYC.
True. Hunter is even more of a "look at the squirrel" than "but her emails." At least the emails were Hillary's.
Presidential kids have been news for decades! And hunter Biden is clearly the worst presidential child of all time: his whole life is using his name to get money, drugs and prostitutes. That’s it.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
It is a tough race with Ivanka, Don Jr, & Eric, but then I am not a historian of all the presidential bad seeds.

Madison's stepson John Payne Todd sounds worse than Hunter.

And he had similar very early trauma, losing a brother and a father in a yellow fever epidemic when he was two.

Really, children of high profile political figures get a bad deal.

ballettmaus

I agree and will give credit where credit is due. This is a good move, I say even as someone who is iffy about legalization v. decriminalization and iffy about whether weed is as harmless as people suggest.
I'm on the fence about it as well and I've read articles in German that it's not as harmless as people suggest. On the other hand, alcohol and cigarettes are legal drugs as well... I think as long as they treat it in the same manner, I can be okay with legalizing.
Regardless of what I think about legalization, I think punishment is too severe for either possession or consumption and I agree, this is a good move.

What bothers me the most about this story is that the media does not seem to have learned a single thing. It's less than 60 days before an election, Hunter Biden is irrelevant and the FBI is not in charge of determining who gets charged and who doesn't (and I'm pretty sure that most agents would think they've turned up enough evidence if they turn up evidence after a long investigation). That's up to the prosecutors. So, there's obviously a personal agenda behind the leak and the media is doing the dirty work yet again.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I'm on the fence about it as well and I've read articles in German that it's not as harmless as people suggest. On the other hand, alcohol and cigarettes are legal drugs as well... I think as long as they treat it in the same manner, I can be okay with legalizing.
Regardless of what I think about legalization, I think punishment is too severe for either possession or consumption and I agree, this is a good move.
When it comes to driving and work (particularly industries where impairment can be life threatening) the same rules should apply as alcohol. Personally I don't think much of the stuff when it comes to recreational use. But each to their own and it is low hanging fruit when it comes to the whole range of drugs that people use.

However the medical benefits for treatment and pain relief are well known and should be an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information