The Biden-Harris Administration

ilovepaydays

WSJ Exclusive: Biden will nominate Neera Tanden, the president and CEO of the Center for American Progress, to serve as OMB director. He will nominate Cecilia Rouse, a Princeton University labor economist, to be chair of the Council of Economic Advisers.

OMG. I hate this pick so much. 😳

Disclosure: I work as a budget analyst for the OCFO office at one of the DHS components in DC. One of my main tasks is working on budget formulation and dealing with whatever comes out of OMB, DHS, and the Hill. So this pick directly affects me more than who’s the DHS Secretary, believe it or not.

Neera Tanden is one of those people (particularly women) who got to where she is by (probably) the luck of contacts she’s had and not what’s she obtained from any experience or knowledge that she’s had. Because there’s definitely not a lot there.

Go to YouTube and search for ANY video of Neera Tanden when she’s been on Bill Maher and you’ll see, on a basic level, what a moron she is. I’ve never figured out why Maher has invited her to be on his show. There are many perfectly smart progressive women he could invite be on there. It’s like Tanden is Maher’s left-wing version of Christine O’Donnell (right winger he had on a lot when he hosted Politically Incorrect on ABC - she ran for U.S. Senate in DE and certain clips of her came out 😱).

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I'm confident she's not a moron. She wouldn't be my choice, but the problem with her seems to be that she is combative and pugnacious. I don't like her record of, pardon the sexist term but, bitchfights with others. OTOH, Center for American Progress under her leadership has done good work. And I doubt Biden would choose a moron for such an important job.

jeffisjeff

Neera Tanden is one of those people (particularly women) who got to where she is by (probably) the luck of contacts she’s had and not what’s she obtained from any experience or knowledge that she’s had. Because there’s definitely not a lot there.
I haven't done any research to know how I feel about this pick, but I definitely know how I feel about this post: it is full of stereotypical sexist crap.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
You can find a listing of articles and papers she's written at the end of this bio.

Neera Tanden - Center for American Progress

Her persona on crappy politics as entertainment tv and youtube shows does matter, but I don't think its the best way to judge her intelligence.

I think this is true of all possible cabinet picks. They don't need to just speak well on cable tv; their actual expertise matters a great deal and that doesn't necessarily come across in interviews that are intended to keep an audience looking for amusement watching.

Last edited:

nylynnr

Take away her combative personality and use of profanity, and Tanden is a pretty typical Clinton operative. She is scouring her twitter in an effort to remove her personality, so what's left will likely be acceptable to almost all.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
Take away her combative personality and use of profanity, and Tanden is a pretty typical Clinton operative. She is scouring her twitter in an effort to remove her personality, so what's left will likely be acceptable to almost all.
I'm fine with operatives(y)

Particularly from someone with knowledge, competence and experience like Tanden, as opposed to the grifters and incompetent yahoos we've had the past four years.

Of course, all the Republican "profiles in courage" who spent every waking hour ignoring the crazy-a$$ Trumpster tweets now have a prolific and in-depth knowledge of Twitter. Hmmmmm:rolleyes:

nylynnr

I'm fine with operatives(y)
Oh, I am fine. Should not complain but often do.

I had (unrealistically, as it turns out) hoped that -- what with the *********, the BLM movement, protests, etc. -- the new administration would take this opportunity to push for single payer health insurance. Lack of health insurance drives much of the economic disparity in the U.S. I am far, far more conservative than others on this message board but to me, before anything else (student loans, reparations, universal income, etc.) healthcare for all legal residents should be ensured.

nylynnr

Maybe it is just me, but the sight of Republican politicians complaining about anyone's meanness on Twitter is so hypocritical, it is hilarious. When they pick a WOC as their first object of such criticism, it looks sexist, racist, and shall I say, deplorable as well as hypocritical
It's the progressive wing of the Democratic party that seems most outraged about the nomination on twitter.

VGThuy

It's the progressive wing of the Democratic party that seems most outraged about the nomination on twitter.
That's what I'm seeing too. I guess I was less "optimistic" than you were about the Biden admin pushing for single payer health insurance since Biden did not campaign for that but rather a public option.

MacMadame

Staying at home
That's what I'm seeing too. I guess I was less "optimistic" than you were about the Biden admin pushing for single payer health insurance since Biden did not campaign for that but rather a public option.
I figured we'd have to push him to it after he'd been in office for a while and had stopped the bleeding.

GOP doesn't like Tanden either, btw.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
Oh, I am fine. Should not complain but often do.

I had (unrealistically, as it turns out) hoped that -- what with the *********, the BLM movement, protests, etc. -- the new administration would take this opportunity to push for single payer health insurance. Lack of health insurance drives much of the economic disparity in the U.S. I am far, far more conservative than others on this message board but to me, before anything else (student loans, reparations, universal income, etc.) healthcare for all legal residents should be ensured.
Thank you for clarifying.

I have seen equal grief lobbied at Tanden from left and right. Of course, that could just be the accounts I see. That usually makes me feel that the person must be on the right track:D

I don't think anyone should be without health insurance, period. I don't think single payer is the solution. I will trust Joe to come up with one that will actually have some chance of being enacted into law. Hope springs eternal:)

VGThuy

I also wonder if Biden is acutely aware that too many people are afraid of mandatory single payer right now and it needs way more support among the red states through their legislatures before a national candidate can publicly advocate for it without losing too many important votes and run the risk of losing an election. One way to make people less afraid is with a true public option, people can test the waters and realize it won't be a scary system. However, it remains to be seen if it will be undermined and not given a real chance to function as many on the left fear if we compromise by having a public option rather than single-payer.

VGThuy

Also, here are some of the criticisms from the left:

A lot of it seems personal regarding her personally going after Bernie's 2016 campaign, but some of it is valid...like her history with lay-offs and her seemingly spotty history with unions. And her, like many Dems, need to punch left when things get hairy as opposed to focusing on the Republican Party as the real enemy, which seems to not be a move towards a "unity" candidate. However, there are some on the far left who won't like anyone unless they meet a very narrow criteria, and this is Washington. We have to be realistic as well.

caseyedwards

I also wonder if Biden is acutely aware that too many people are afraid of mandatory single payer right now and it needs way more support among the red states through their legislatures before a national candidate can publicly advocate for it without losing too many important votes and run the risk of losing an election. One way to make people less afraid is with a true public option, people can test the waters and realize it won't be a scary system. However, it remains to be seen if it will be undermined and not given a real chance to function as many on the left fear if we compromise by having a public option rather than single-payer.
You can’t have single payer without total abolition of every single employer plan in America! Good luck!

ballettmaus

A lot of it seems personal regarding her personally going after Bernie's 2016 campaign, but some of it is valid...like her history with lay-offs and her seemingly spotty history with unions. And her, like many Dems, need to punch left when things get hairy as opposed to focusing on the Republican Party as the real enemy, which seems to not be a move towards a "unity" candidate. However, there are some on the far left who won't like anyone unless they meet a very narrow criteria, and this is Washington. We have to be realistic as well.
I think this falls under my "Democrats are too nice for their own good" assessment; they're always so worried about pleasing the GOP and working with them that they forget that they need to unite their own party first before they can reach across the aisle.

I'm absolutely opposed to blindly following orders like the Republicans are doing but what Democrats are doing isn't ideal either. Democrats act more like different parties which I think is fine until it comes to elections.

sk9tingfan

Joe Biden has never been a staunch advocate of a single payer approach to providing health care insurance. He has advocated building on the current ACA structure that relies on private insurers to provide that coverage and the associated benefits. IMO, this is far likely as those covered under their corporate or union plans would most likely revolt if forced to give up their health plans. Also, from an implementation perspective, the cost of retrofitting all of the private insurers to accommodate a single payer plan as opposed to administering benefits based on their own systems might be prohibitive.

That being said, there are private insurers that act as the financial intermediary for various Medicare plans, so we'll have to see. HIAA, the powerful lobbying agent for that industry will weigh in on that and pressure Congress as the former action would seriously start to dismantle that industry.

As far as all individuals having to carry health care insurance, I agree that this is the optimal situation. However, the Supreme Court struck down the individual mandate in 2017. The Court has signaled that it is likely they will not strike down the rest of the act.

caseyedwards

Joe Biden has never been a staunch advocate of a single payer approach to providing health care insurance. He has advocated building on the current ACA structure that relies on private insurers to provide that coverage and the associated benefits. IMO, this is far likely as those covered under their corporate or union plans would most likely revolt if forced to give up their health plans. Also, from an implementation perspective, the cost of retrofitting all of the private insurers to accommodate a single payer plan as opposed to administering benefits based on their own systems might be prohibitive.

That being said, there are private insurers that act as the financial intermediary for various Medicare plans, so we'll have to see. HIAA, the powerful lobbying agent for that industry will weigh in on that and pressure Congress as the former action would seriously start to dismantle that industry.

As far as all individuals having to carry health care insurance, I agree that this is the optimal situation. However, the Supreme Court struck down the individual mandate in 2017. The Court has signaled that it is likely they will not strike down the rest of the act.
This is incorrect. What John roberts and the other liberals did was call the mandate a legal tax and thus upheld the mandate. Then republicans in 2017 made the penalty zero dollars. So legally Americans are penalized with a penalty of zero dollars if they don’t have health Insurance. The Supreme Court said it was illegal to force states to expand Medicaid.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races

The Bernie World person first named in the article is Briahna Joy Gray, who urged people to vote for Jill Stein in 2016 and says she voted for Stein herself.

Her disapproval is not something I would really worry over. She is not proof of Democrats in Disarray because she is not a Democrat..

If Elizabeth Warren is OK (and she is)with the economic folk, I am ok too

Last edited:

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bri...FjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw1_HHSQuNK56Cn1imuZAxL4

The Bernie World person first named in the article is Brianna Joy Gray, who urged people to vote for Jill.Stein in 2016 and says she voted for Stein herself.

Her disapproval is not something I would really worry over. She is not proof of Democrats in Disarray because she is not a Democrat..

If Elizabeth Warren is OK (and she is)with the economic folj, I am ok too

Thank you for flagging that. I blocked BrieBrieJoyJoy a long time ago, ETA: as she was far less interested in Democrats than her own agenda.;)

The fact remains that Joe Manchin is going to be way more important to getting stuff done, for Democrats, in the upcoming year than BrieBrie and her ilk. Likewise Liz Warren. Neither should be ignored. :)

caseyedwards

Except for confirmation votes manchins record was identical to bernie sanders and kamala harris!!

Dobre

Trump fired me for saying this, but I’ll say it again: The election wasn’t rigged​

Chris Krebs's editorial in the Washington Post.

My thoughts: A reporter earlier this week asked Biden if he would be open to hiring someone who voted for Trump in the interest of unifying the country. Biden said, "Absolutely," though he did not foresee an announcement along those lines in the near future. If there is a Republican that voted for Trump & has stepped up to do the right thing for American democracy--both prior to the election & now post-election, I would say Mr. Krebs has done so.

caseyedwards

Trump fired me for saying this, but I’ll say it again: The election wasn’t rigged​

Chris Krebs's editorial in the Washington Post.

My thoughts: A reporter earlier this week asked Biden if he would be open to hiring someone who voted for Trump in the interest of unifying the country. Biden said, "Absolutely," though he did not foresee an announcement along those lines in the near future. If there is a Republican that voted for Trump & has stepped up to do the right thing for American democracy--both prior to the election & now post-election, I would say Mr. Krebs has done so.
Hiring someone who voted for trump while democrats are planning to put trumps in prison doesn’t make sense

Dobre

Thought I would share this post from Tamora Pierce.

She is one of my favorite authors and a lifelong feminist. Age 65. Based on her posts, writing, & speeches, I gather a left-of-center Democrat. And she's blunt & strong-minded. I thought this was quite a powerful post from her today:

"Suddenly I am being a big bawl-baby today, but the reason is a good one.

I was not madly in love with Joe Biden for a number of reasons, but voted for him anyway because hands down he beat the poke inthe eye with a sharp stick in the White House.

But there’s a thing I’ve noticed about the new sheriff in town. Ever since he began to pick his people, he has been choosing women. A LOT of women. I read BBC News’s coverage, and I realized that every few days he chooses a woman for his administration.

That is when I started to cry.

I was born in the 1950s, to parents who never implied that I—or my sisters—were less than boys. I learned that in church, in school, in jobs, in college, from the families of my friends and boyfriends, from the (briefer) boyfriends, from bosses and co-workers.

This gift that newly-elect Biden is giving us is tremendous.

Not all of his choices will be perfect. Whose are? But they are a curst size more than we have ever had."

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information