The Biden-Harris Administration

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Going back to the debt ceiling thing, the Guardian says,

“The debt ceiling will be raised, as it always should be,” McConnell said yesterday. “But it will be raised by the Democrats.”

Unless Senate Democrats can convince 10 of their Republican colleagues to support the legislation, the US economy could be headed for disaster.

Obviously these things don't go together. McConnell is trying to force the Dems to put raising the debt ceiling in the reconciliation bill so it can be passed with just Democratic votes, not trying to create a situation where it can't pass, right?

So is the game that it will force Dems into an emergency situation where they will have to do the bidding of the centrist-extremists in order to pass the reconciliation bill, which they will have to pass to avoid catastrophic consequences of failing to raise the debt ceiling?

caseyedwards

Again, you say that as if it were a bad thing.
It would be fine if it was the law. It’s not the law. Why can’t everyone agree to make it the law? Democrats aren’t even promising to make it the law. They haven’t introduced anything to remove all caps or visas or whatever

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
The FBI agents should have been fired years ago before Garland's time. That doesn't mean that he can't do something now since the FBI is part of DOJ and he's basically the FBI director's boss.
Of course action should have been taken by the FBI as soon as they learned of the incident, and Dept of Justice must address accountability and enforcement and respond to the athletes. But you seem to want to nitpick because you don't care for Garland and apparently believe his "gallantry" (???) is causing him to shirk his duties. OTOH, as I noted it is not unreasonable that maybe a little more patience is needed in the short term because of the mess of backlog left by the Trump appointees and the many urgent new issues that need to be prioritized along with it.

Obviously I would like the wheels of justice to turn faster too. As Sally Jenkins noted, MI competently conducted an investigation and took action. Before holding Garland directly responsible while he's playing catch-up, perhaps a better first step is to question what IN has done in the last five years. Steve Penny conducted business for USAG in their state while he failed to report in a timely manner then actively tried to minimize abuse and cover it up. The IndyStar has covered this extensively, but I haven't noticed IN has investigated or taken any action like MI did.

ballettmaus

Of course action should have been taken by the FBI as soon as they learned of the incident, and Dept of Justice must address accountability and enforcement and respond to the athletes. But you seem to want to nitpick because you don't care for Garland and apparently believe his "gallantry" (???) is causing him to shirk his duties. OTOH, as I noted it is not unreasonable that maybe a little more patience is needed in the short term because of the mess of backlog left by the Trump appointees and the many urgent new issues that need to be prioritized along with it.
I can't say I have an opinion of Garland himself. I didn't like a couple of decisions he made with regards to Trump and Trump officials but that doesn't mean I dislike the guy.
I think Mueller had a lot of trust in the institutions and system and believed that when he laid out the obstruction of justice charges, the system would take care of the criminal. Garland gives me the impression that he is the same way and as I judge, he probably has to believe in the system otherwise, he'd likely have to second guess his job every day. However, Republicans have changed the game by standing by, supporting and covering for a fascist. And if Trump and Co aren't held accountable, it'll happen again and it'll be even worse because nothing happened the first time and we have to approach the situation not believing that we dodged a bullet and have learned a lesson (which the decisions Garland made look more like that approach) but believing that it will happen again and that it could happen again soon.

caseyedwards

I knew Biden was going to ban horses. Now so much terrain which was bad for cars and on foot but great with horses is now total open borders. Drones do NOT work. All they do is show border agents people illegally entering America.

Simone411

Do stand. Do stand six. Do stand six feet from me.
Going back to the debt ceiling thing, the Guardian says,

Obviously these things don't go together. McConnell is trying to force the Dems to put raising the debt ceiling in the reconciliation bill so it can be passed with just Democratic votes, not trying to create a situation where it can't pass, right?

So is the game that it will force Dems into an emergency situation where they will have to do the bidding of the centrist-extremists in order to pass the reconciliation bill, which they will have to pass to avoid catastrophic consequences of failing to raise the debt ceiling?
Mitch McConnell still sucks Trump,s A$$, is a white supremist and an A$$hole himself. If the reconciliation bill isn't passed, it will cause the Domino Effect. Saw this on my local news earlier.

Over 50 million people could lose their Social Security "for a time". WTF does "for a time" mean? Losing Social Security means a percentage of those 50 million people that depend on it monthly because it's their only source of income will starve to death, they would no longer be able to pay their utility bills if that percentage lived at home. That would mean no heat for the winter and no A/C for the summer. That percentage would either die from the cold or die from heat exhaustion during the summer.

There would be no more Medicare which means most Senior Citizens won't be able to go to the hospital, they won't be able to get Meds they need to stay alive. The people that need Oxygen tanks will die. The people that are Diabetics won't be able to get Insulin anymore and would go into Diabetic Comas if they don't die first. People with HBP won't be able to afford their meds and end up dying from a stroke or even a possible heart attack.

The people living in Nursing Homes won't be able to live there anymore because their Medicare and Medicaid pays the bills for them to stay there. The Nurses and CNA's will lose their jobs because the Nursing Homes will be forced to shut down.

Yes, I'm one of those 50 million people that will be included in that Domino Effect. If this does happen, all I can say is that it's been nice knowing all of y'all. To think I survived a disease that nearly killed me only to be defeated now by a Domino effect that will be caused by Mitch McConnell and the Republicans that still suck Trump's A$$. They might as well use gas chambers like Hitler and the NAZI's used.

ballettmaus

With regards to the Iron Dome, I've seen comments on social media remarking that Israel should pay for it themselves. I had no idea that the US is actually funding it and I'd appreciate it if someone could explain why that is the case (as I tend to agree with the comments on social media at the moment but I have absolutely no clue about how the US funding came to be).

skatingguy

Golden Team
With regards to the Iron Dome, I've seen comments on social media remarking that Israel should pay for it themselves. I had no idea that the US is actually funding it and I'd appreciate it if someone could explain why that is the case (as I tend to agree with the comments on social media at the moment but I have absolutely no clue about how the US funding came to be).
Very successful lobbying from both American Jewish groups, but also from Evangelical groups, that has led to long term support for the Israeli military by US tax payers.

caseyedwards

Israel is a great ally of America. Is there a country that is a greater ally? So while it is very rich and they can afford it themselves and also has lots of nuclear weapons too- I see no problem in helping pay for a defense system as just like a friendly contribution

Democrats passed Biden ********* bill by reconciliation they can easily pass debt ceiling the same way. They don’t want to. Anger at republicans playing their debt ceiling game can’t become more important than passing debt ceiling increase tomorrow. Which is possible! Democrats are very close to choosing default to blame republicans for not voting with them

Last edited:

MsZem

It's money spent in aid of a strategic partner, and on something that could be directly useful to the US at some point down the line. I believe at least some of the money goes to US manufacturers, though this may be for aid given to Israel more broadly rather than Iron Dome specifically.

More here:

FWIW, I don't know why Israel is still relying on US aid for certain defense expenditures. But it's not the only country getting such aid, so maybe we can dispense with comments about Jewish lobbyists.

Last edited:

skatingguy

Golden Team
It's money spent in aid of a strategic partner, and on something that could be directly useful to the US at some point down the line. I believe at least some of the money goes to US manufacturers, though this may be for aid given to Israel more broadly rather than Iron Dome specifically.

More here:

FWIW, I don't know why Israel is still relying on US aid for certain defense expenditures. But it's not the only country getting such aid, so maybe we can dispense with comments about Jewish lobbyists.
Yes, it's important to remember the US has a very successful defense industry that also lobbies hard for Congress to spend money. It's kind of ironic because generally speaking the US Congress is not really a fan of foreign aid unless comes in the form of military spending

ballettmaus

More here:

So, if I understand correctly, it's military aid and not funding the Iron Dome specifically, right? The latter is just part of what the money funds?

MsZem

So, if I understand correctly, it's military aid and not funding the Iron Dome specifically, right? The latter is just part of what the money funds?
I believe this appropriations bill was specifically intended for Iron Dome. In the past Iron Dome was funded out of a broader military aid agreement; I'm not sure if this began under the Obama administration or during the Bush 43 presidency.

I'm having a hard time figuring out how much of what was appropriated in the current bill will be spent in the US vs. in Israel. Iron Dome was developed in Israel and involved proprietary knowledge, but it is now collaborative at least to some extent, and a fair amount of the components are manufactured in the US (see p. 15-16 in the report linked in the BBC article, which also explains US interests in developing and funding this technology).

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Really good column today from Paul Krugman in the NY Times.

...the self-destructive behavior of Democratic centrists — a term I prefer to “moderates,” because it’s hard to see what’s moderate about demanding that Biden abandon highly popular policies like taxing corporations and reducing drug prices.

...they have internalized decades of right-wing economic propaganda, that their gut reaction to any proposal to improve Americans’ lives is that it must be unworkable and unaffordable.

He talks about the failure to even evaluate the actual meaning of the $3.5 trillion reconciliation package, instead simply focusing on the top number:

$3.5 trillion sounds like a lot of money, and you shouldn’t assume politicians understand (or think constituents understand) that this is proposed spending over the course of a decade, not a single year. It would amount to little more than 1 percent of gross domestic product over that period and would still leave overall government spending far below its level in other wealthy democracies. It also ignores the fact that the true cost, after net savings and new revenue, would be much less than $3.5 trillion.

I think that progressives need to be more clear on these two factors: the $3.5 trillion is over TEN years, and it is "little more than 1 percent" of GDP.

Its not only that we can afford this, its that we can't afford not to do many of the things in this bill. In the long wrong it will save us money to make these investments especially in climate change but also in our children with anti-poverty programs and child care subsidies.

Bottom line:

...Democratic centrists are blinded by an economic narrative that was deliberately created to block progress and justify vast inequality.

caseyedwards

Trillions of dollars was just passed in the past year. has it proven not to have worked? Was it a failure? Or was it a success? If it was a failure maybe more money isn’t the answer. If it was a success maybe you don’t need to spend more?

Louis

Private citizen
So much for creating a "big tent" party. :rolleyes:

Hold firm, Senator Sinema! Don't associate yourself with the failures and ineptitudes of the Biden administration. Votes of no confidence are meaningless now. By 2024, every sane person will be trying to distance themselves from this administration.

clairecloutier

I can say that I'm personally not interested in a "big tent" Democratic party if it involves failing to protect citizens' voting rights and the security of elections, failing to act with appropriate urgency on climate change, and failing to uphold basic Democratic values such as lowering health care costs and helping families with preschool children. :mad:

If Kyrsten Sinema wants to make these her priorities, then she can take her chances as an independent as far as I'm concerned. :angryfire

jenny12

So much for creating a "big tent" party. :rolleyes:

Hold firm, Senator Sinema! Don't associate yourself with the failures and ineptitudes of the Biden administration. Votes of no confidence are meaningless now. By 2024, every sane person will be trying to distance themselves from this administration.

Unfortunately, I’m sure Sinema will hold firm to keep the people she cares about happy: her corporate donors. She raked in money from the Chamber of Commerce and Business Roundtable and now wants to gut the reconciliation bill. She is incredibly transparent in what is motivating her and it’s not the supposed ineptitudes of the Biden Administration. Sinema is the worst kind of corporatist and now she, along with Manchin, is holding policies that could actually help people hostage. Of course, she doesn’t care because those people are useless to her and she and Manchin love being branded “centrists” even though that term actually means nothing except someone with no core principles.

No one should want to create a big tent party with heinous crony capitalists. And really this argument from “moderates” or whoever you are is ridiculous. “God! You are being so intolerant of my horrible (lack of) values.”

I know you don’t want Biden to succeed. But don’t pretend the people you are rooting to block his agenda are doing so for any other reason than financial.

Last edited:

caseyedwards

Big tent as long as everyone agrees on everything

Unlike the Republican Party is amazing how there is almost total ideological uniformity among democrats now! The democrats being elected from Georgia are exactly like the ones elected from Massachusetts. Democrats from Alabama (Jones) exactly like California! Any exception to this as with sinema and manchin although both are totally liberal senators is unacceptable

Sinema is 65% liberal. So is Manchin!

Last edited:

jenny12

Big tent as long as everyone agrees on everything

There is no reason to agree with an other side that doesn’t exist. “I say no because my donors will get mad at me” is not a position to negotiate with.

And I don’t know where you got the 65% figure, but it means absolutely nothing if they are against policies that actually help people other than the wealthy. If you're against tax increases on the wealthy, filibuster reform, and drug price reform, then I really don’t care what that 65% includes.

Last edited:

caseyedwards

There is no reason to agree with an other side that doesn’t exist. “I say no because my donors will get mad at me” is not a position to negotiate with.

And I don’t know where you got the 65% figure, but it means absolutely nothing if they are against policies that actually help people other than the wealthy. If you're against tax increases on the wealthy, filibuster reform, and drug price reform, then I really don’t care what that 65% includes.
Americans for democratic action. They rate them all.
Filibuster reform is brand new. Literally every democrat opposed it when trump ordered McConnell to abolish it. They said it was part of trumps war on norms.

They all favor tax Increases on the wealthy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information