The Biden-Harris Administration

Vagabond

Yeah, Mitch is making a mistake here, but he'll drop it by the mid-term elections. At that point the rant will be what are we going to do with all these Afghani refugees taking jobs from 'mericans.
I don't think that would be a winner. The unemployment rate is still falling, and in some areas, there is a shortage of available labor for jobs that refugees could take to make ends meet until they get more settled. Of course, if there is another surge in you-know-what, everything could change.

nylynnr

Yeah, Mitch is making a mistake here, but he'll drop it by the mid-term elections. At that point the rant will be what are we going to do with all these Afghani refugees taking jobs from 'mericans.
I don't think that would be a winner. The unemployment rate is still falling, and in some areas, there is a shortage of available labor for jobs that refugees could take to make ends meet until they get more settled. Of course, if there is another surge in you-know-what, everything could change.
Republicans biggest issues are likely to be inflation, crime, the Southern border crisis. By the time the election rolls around Afghanistan will be a memory, at best, unless there is a prolonged hostage crisis or a bombing on U.S. soil.

caseyedwards

I'm going to park this here as its about the politics not the situation in Afghanistan.

Apparently the Republicans are going all in on criticizing Biden, not just with regard to the withdrawal operation, but withdrawal at all:

I say yes please. Make this your main message against Biden. Own it, guys. Own it. The American people did not want that war and do not want to be there. Let them know you disagree and think its a terrible thing that the US didn't keep digging itself deeper and deeper into a failed war. :blah:
Mitch McConnell doesn’t reflect what trump and Republican base voters really feel on nearly everything

overedge

G.O.A.T.
I see a lot of trash talk on right-wing social media about how the Afghanis snuck all kinds of terrorists into the US on the relief flights. I don't think the Afghan situation is going to be forgotten that soon.

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
I see a lot of trash talk on right-wing social media about how the Afghanis snuck all kinds of terrorists into the US on the relief flights. I don't think the Afghan situation is going to be forgotten that soon.
I’m more concerned about the right-wing’s terrorist franchises than about any foreign groups. When you’ve got right-wing House members threatening bloodshed, any idea of foreign terrorist threat kind of fades away.

Last edited:

overedge

G.O.A.T.
I’m more concerned about the right-wing’s terrorist franchises than about any foreign groups. When you’ve got right-wing House members threatening bloodshed, any idea of foreign terrorist threat kinds fades away.

Absolutely, and I wasn't saying the focus is truthful or correct. Just explaining what I see as what they're going to focus on.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I agree that Biden will do fine having taken on the responsibility for ending the war. In fact, many people will give him credit for it.
In a short time, I think the whole narrative will change on what happened. The "bungled" "chaotic" and "disastrous" memes all came from people watching pictures of Kabul and comparing it in their minds eye with a peaceful place that never existed. When deeper assessment comes, it will be seen that the Biden administration carried out a remarkable airlift to get over 120,000 people out of a volatile and dangerous situation.

Rather than seeing the terrorist attack as something Biden somehow caused, it will be realized that was the situation the US faced in withdrawing. Suicide bombings have been happening in Kabul regularly, this wasn't something new. The fact that so few people were killed during this operation will start dawning on people who were swept along by what can only be described as a hysterical media in herd mode.

Most Americans wanted an end to the war and Biden is clear about communicating that he has ended this forever war (or at least the boots on the ground part) for the United States. This is going to be a plus for him politically.

Meanwhile, the Republicans should they win the House in 2022 will commence trying to impeach Biden and they may use the Afghanistan withdrawal as a pretext. Their arguments will be so muddled and disingenuous they will get a major backlash.

Susan1

I didn't want to get into the whole Afghanistan thread, so - there's a meme on FB having to debunk the theory that we left military dogs there. No, they left with their handlers (their family and best friend). Who comes up with this stuff?

Dobre

I didn't want to get into the whole Afghanistan thread, so - there's a meme on FB having to debunk the theory that we left military dogs there. No, they left with their handlers (their family and best friend). Who comes up with this stuff?
It was a cruel example of misinformation. Veterans that have been facing a challenging enough emotional few weeks did not need to be reading lies about their dogs being left behind. I already posted a link in the Afghanistan thread that provides clarification about the dog shelter in Kabul that is actually trying to evacuate other dogs from Afghanistan to safety.

Dobre

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
In Louisiana and Mississippi, nearly one million people lack electricity and drinking water after a hurricane obliterated power lines. In California, wildfire menaces Lake Tahoe, forcing tens of thousands to flee. In Tennessee, flash floods killed at least 20; hundreds more perished in a heat wave in the Northwest. And in New York City, 7 inches of rain fell in just hours Wednesday, drowning people in their basements.

Disasters cascading across the country this summer have exposed a harsh reality: The United States is not ready for the extreme weather that is now becoming frequent as a result of a warming planet.

“These events tell us we’re not prepared,” said Alice Hill, who oversaw planning for climate risks on the National Security Council during the Obama administration. “We have built our cities, our communities, to a climate that no longer exists.”

Putting this here, because Joe Manchin thinks the Senate needs to "pause" before considering the reconciliation bill which includes the most important climate change investments. He doesn't think we can "afford" to spend so much.

I guess he thinks we can afford more of the above. So do Republicans who sneer at the idea of "green things."

The cost of doing little with regard to both mitigation and adaption to climate change dwarfs anything the US Congress would consider appropriating. The next time these con artists talk about how we can't spend on climate change policies because we're mortgaging our children's future in debt, someone needs to make clear what these people are costing our children. Trillions upon trillions in a world where even keeping up with the adaptations needed to cope with climate change is difficult.

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher

Ukrainian President accomplishes years-long quest for a White House visit with Biden meeting​

And not once did he hear, “We’d like you to do us a favour though…”

olympic

I am really flummoxed by the MSM. The NY Times top story online was a regurgitation of the chaos in leaving Afghanistan, but the paper now had 'documents' confirming it wasn't as smooth as it could have been. I read it. I sh-t you not. Some of the lines were 'people delayed for hours' and 'people with gastrointestinal issues' :rolleyes: I was like 'Have they ever flown domestically?' :lol: . Anyway, they broached the topic re issues with chaotic entry to HKIA and manifests that need to be sorted, and a commission can sort them, but why aren't the newsies framing stories like:

-SCOTUS greenlights TX abortion law, other states may follow. US democracy at risk. Susan Collins was wrong about Brett Kavanaugh.
-US floods and burns. Climate change responsible which affects red and blue states equally. Republicans and a few frightened Democrats hold up legislation.
-The death toll for Americans in FL and TX higher than in Afghanistan this past month. Republican Governors refuse to acknowledge science.

JMHO. Those stories have much more impact on Americans in their daily lives.

ETA - I truly believe that the media forms narratives based on perception rather than just reporting the news straight; this stems from decades of the media being cowed by the Right into thinking they are 'too liberal', so an obligation formed in their minds to give 'both sides' equal airtime, even if one side is, shall we say, less truthful than the other (that theoretically works both ways). IOW, even post-Trump, I was taken aback by the pummeling of Biden on Afghanistan. There have been worse foreign policy f-ck-ups (Reagan in Lebanon in 1983). It occurred to me that whoever makes decisions at media outlets may have decided that drama-free reporting on Biden makes them look 'too liberal', so they needed to change the narrative, or risk turning off viewers / readers.

Last edited:

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
ETA - I truly believe that the media forms narratives based on perception rather than just reporting the news straight;
My take is that the media’s corporate owners are super pissed the gravy train that was the exploitation of Afghanistan is over. That, and Pres. Biden is boring. No lunatic tweets, no hairbrained incompetence, no name calling, just a normal guy. They don’t know what to do with that so they sh!t-stir to get eyeballs and clicks.

olympic

My take is that the media’s corporate owners are super pissed the gravy train that was the exploitation of Afghanistan is over. That, and Pres. Biden is boring. No lunatic tweets, no hairbrained incompetence, no name calling, just a normal guy. They don’t know what to do with that so they sh!t-stir to get eyeballs and clicks.
I believe this is some of the story. I also think that applying a free-market strategy to the news media does not do a good job to encourage accurate news reporting.

ETA - Also agree that Biden is more boring than not only R presidents, but former D presidents as well. Bush presided over 9/11, the commencement of the 2 wars, torture, etc., Trump - no further explanation, but there were all those salacious sex scandals during the Clinton years, and Obama was scandal free, but due to the color of his skin, was subject to media coverage because the 1st Black President and its backlash among the crazies was going to be a novel reporting experience for them. Plenty of clickbait. For the 1st time since widespread computer usage, we have a president that is less of a lightning rod and more boring than anyone since someone like Bush 41, when people relied on (1) the 3 networks, with their 30 minute programs at 630 or special news breaks, (2) WTBS (more entertainment than news though IIRC), (3) newspapers, (4) PBS and their news hour, (5) CNN and C-Span - and the novelty of news 24 hour / day; (6) and last but not least, the kooks on the radio who were just getting started in forming opinions at the national level. The average citizen could count on one hand the source of their news

Last edited:

caseyedwards

But the media didn’t cover Obama “possibly being born in Kenya” it covered how racists believed he was “possibly born in Kenya.” That was pro Obama. Not anti Obama. The media covered Trump saying Obama was born in Kenya and how that was racist and all republicans were racists. Fox covered fast and furious not Obama birth certificate. The whole birther thing was almost never on fox. It wasn’t a fox story it was a cnn story.

clairecloutier

An article about how Joe Manchin's sabotage of the infrastructure bills is endangering Biden's presidency. Could just as easily apply to Manchin's sabotage of voting rights/election security.

There is really no one I hate more at this point than the moderates in the Senate. On both sides.

ETA: I know that there are rightist Republican Senators who are objectively worse than the more "moderate" Republican Senators. But at least they are completely honest and aboveboard about who they are, unlike the Susan Collinses of the world. I despise the Rand Pauls and Ted Cruzes, but there is not the extra level of hypocrisy with them that there often is with the "moderates." (I use quote marks because in my opinion no true moderate would oppose ensuring the enfranchisement of voters or voting against basic healthcare or not voting to convict an obviously guilty President. If you can't vote independent of your party, you are not a "moderate.")

Last edited:

caseyedwards

So many people I am talking to talk about things costing more -no one is talking about how inflation isn’t as bad as it was in the 80’s. Lol. That attitude is a “who cares I am a rich or very comfortable journalist who doesn’t care about money that much”

Manchin is also a liberal democrat. He wants to vote yes maybe for something smaller or paid for more. He is 65% liberal. He is a liberal democrat. ADA liberal group gives him a 65!

In bill Clinton’s first year Richard Shelby was a democrat!! He’s still in office but as a republican now. His views didn’t change he was just as conservative then as he is now. He wasn’t getting no 65’s from the ADA his number was 35! Imagine if manchin was a 35.

Last edited:

clairecloutier

According to this Rolling Stone article, the Biden administration is supposedly ready now to really push filibuster reform to pass voting rights.

Are they serious about this?? … We shall see, I guess.

I find the timing quite interesting. As Biden’s approval numbers drop, does this reflect realization that he needs to re-energize the base to hold office/Congressional seats?

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
If the base is not already "energized" by the Texas abortion ban, the various voter suppression laws, and the commitment of the GOP to kill as many people as possible with *****, it cannot be "energized."

So, it is a realization that he has no fcks left to give about what anyone thinks, and what his approval numbers are. He has one more year to get what he wants done. And so he is doing it.

clairecloutier

And why wasn’t he ready to do this 6 months ago when these voter suppression bills were being written and when the Texas abortion bill was also being worked on ??

The energization of the base should not be solely dependent on Republican threats but should also flow naturally from Democratic action and successes.

I never lose sight of the former (the threat of the alternative) but I also WILL NOT praise or excuse the absence of the latter (action in the form of passed legislation) and I won’t be criticizing any other Dems who have an issue with it.

FiveRinger

And why wasn’t he ready to do this 6 months ago when these voter suppression bills were being written and when the Texas abortion bill was also being worked on ??

The energization of the base should not be solely dependent on Republican threats but should also flow naturally from Democratic action and successes.

I never lose sight of the former (the threat of the alternative) but I also WILL NOT praise or excuse the absence of the latter (action in the form of passed legislation) and I won’t be criticizing any other Dems who have an issue with it.
Personally, I'm from the "elections have consequences " corner, but I really think Biden thought that he could reason and or compromise with the right. He really wanted to get along with everyone. It took a bit, but he's finally realized that not everyone is going to be happy, the majority voted for him, and it's his job to do the will of the people. That's the politically correct explanation.

caseyedwards

According to this Rolling Stone article, the Biden administration is supposedly ready now to really push filibuster reform to pass voting rights.

Are they serious about this?? … We shall see, I guess.

I find the timing quite interesting. As Biden’s approval numbers drop, does this reflect realization that he needs to re-energize the base to hold office/Congressional seats?
They have goodies to make manchin and sinema go back on their word?! I mean to have them do such huge public flip flops they surely have something big planned for them. It wouldn’t be the first time. I mean there are so many examples! One of the biggest of all time is when Clinton got a congresswoman who just finished a tv interview explaining why she would vote against him to Vote with him! I am talking almost immediately after. Eventually Chelsea would marry her son!! So how about that!!

If you are a Republican or Democrat in today’s world if is because you are either liberal or conservative and ultimately true feelings will triumph over phony calculated moderation of which manchin is an expert.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information