The Biden-Harris Administration

Choupette

Whether you think the US should have been there or not, this is the crucial point. Securing the safety of those who had helped them should have been the no. 1 priority of any withdrawal plan. Not doing so is only going to hurt the US in the long run, because why would anyone in any future country the US enters take the risk of helping them when they've seen how little their welfare will be prioritised?
Exactly! I can understand that Americans won't sustain every single country in the world, but the way it was done is awful. As @BittyBug said, the Kurds were let down the same way!

To be honest, I also feel like the army is letting down their own soldiers when they come back wounded or suffering from PTSD. I mostly know about the Canadian army and can't remember anything specific from the American army but I have a feeling it is not that different.

If you are going to send people to war, at least take proper care of them when they need it.

Dobre

ballettmaus

Moderate Democrats are faced with potential withholding of fundraising if they don't support Biden's budget proposal. https://www.politico.com/news/2021/08/20/mods-dccc-fundraising-warning-506486

That pressure campaign has included Democratic Congressional Campaign Chair Sean Patrick Maloney (D-N.Y.), who has phoned members in recent days to warn that their majority is in jeopardy if they derail Biden’s broader spending priorities.

But some of those centrists who received calls from either Maloney or his staff — who already face some of the toughest races in the country next November — said they also took his comments to mean that their own fundraising help from the party would be at risk. And while they said there was no direct threat to withhold DCCC funds, those Democrats said the warning was implied.

ballettmaus

Justice Alito temporarily halted the resuming of the remain-in-Mexico policy that another judge had said the Biden administration needed to restart. (Gotta have to love that Missouri sued over an alleged surge of migrants at the US-Mexico border. Why was Missouri even considered to have standing to sue? Congress didn't have standing in the Emoluments Clause lawsuit (I believe) but Missouri has standing in a lawsuit that concerns a border they don't have? This is seriously backwards!) https://www.cbsnews.com/news/remain-in-mexico-border-policy-supreme-court-pauses-reinstatement/

The Biden administration argued that such a judicial requirement would force the government to continue the Remain-in-Mexico policy "in perpetuity," since the U.S. does not have sufficient detention space in migrant holding facilities.

In the emergency request it filed before the Supreme Court on Friday, the administration said the rushed revival of the MPP program would "severely disrupt" operations along the U.S.-Mexico border and "threaten to create a diplomatic and humanitarian crisis.
I'd appreciate if the MSM could take note in case the SC orders the administration to resume the program. If they do, the ensuing crisis will not be Biden's fault (and if they blame it on him, I'll start throwing things).

On a different note, why does a policy that was not instated by law have to be lawfully rescinded? If Trump could just implement it, why can't Biden reverse it? I don't get the logic.

Dobre

Biden taps Oregon's Charles Sams to head the National Park Service​

"President Biden will nominate Charles F. Sams III to be the next director of the National Park Service, where, if confirmed by the Senate, he'll face the growing toll of global warming on the U.S. iconic park system, the White House stated Wednesday."

"Sams currently serves as a council member to the Northwest Power and Conservation Council"
  • "The Council helps manage regional power generation and distribution from the Columbia River as well as natural resource use, such as fishing.
  • Sams, who is a member of the Cayuse, Walla Walla, Cocopah and Yankton Sioux tribal nations, has extensive experience working in natural resource roles in state and tribal governments. He lives on the Umatilla Indian Reservation."

ballettmaus

A jduge threw out the permits for an oil drilling project in Alaska that was greenlit under Trump and the Biden administration defended in court. https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2021/08/18/biden-climate-willow-project/

Gleason said federal agencies’ environmental impact statements failed to meet the requirements laid out in two landmark laws, the National Environmental Policy Act and the Environmental Protection Act.

For example, the Fish and Wildlife Service had concluded last year that the project probably would not harm polar bears, a threatened species, or their critical habitat. But Gleason found that the agency didn’t adequately specify how the operation could hurt the bears or what measures would be in place to protect them.

The judge also found that the Bureau of Land Management relied on a model for estimating the project’s overall greenhouse gas emissions that had already been rejected in another case.

Frau Muller

Sailing the Seven Ultra-Cs!
Photos of today’s “Kamala Harris Orchid” presentation. Absolutely spectacular bloom!

Article:

YouTube film about the orchid presentation...and VP Harris even got a plaque with a branch next to a copy of her birth certificate!

mtnskater

I mostly watch CNN and MSNBC as well as local news stations. CNN has been absolutely hysterical about the “horrible debacle” of the withdrawal and has had very little balanced coverage that I have seen for many days. I kept thinking to myself that I wish CNN and the media would cover climate change with the hysteria and fervor of the Afghanistan coverage. Record heat, watersheds drying up, record wildfires, wildfire smoke constantly polluting our air, melting polar ice caps, rising sea levels, disappearing and ever more threatened species, displacement of peoples. Afghanistan pales in comparison to what we are all facing globally from climate change. And maybe if the media put as much energy behind the urgency of all of us to take immediate action on climate change we might get somewhere.

I was dead set against the U.S. invasion of Afghanistan 20 years ago. We wasted so much unnecessary blood and treasure over there that could have been spent on climate change, health care, infrastructure, ********* preparedness, and the list of domestic needs goes on. We spent more in Afghanistan over the past 20 years than Biden is proposing to spend in the big infrastructure plan that we desperately need. Countless earlier such invasions by the U.S. of other countries where we are not wanted and attempts to socially engineer with our military were doomed to fail…just as this latest such effort has. My heart goes out to the good people of Afghanistan. But they must fight for their country. I hope they will rally and fight. I hope we get U.S. citizens out and those with SIV status. All reports as of today are that is being accomplished In some big numbers the last few days. CNN is calming down a bit. For those looking for some more balanced analysis of Afghanistan I recommend the two columns in The NY Times from Tom Friedman last week. Friedman says there is the morning after and the morning after the morning after, so it’s way too early to judge. Also Michael Moore’s most recent podcast.

Dobre

The government-industry cyberdefense dance​

"A White House summit between President Biden and tech leaders Wednesday, including the CEOs of Apple, Google, Amazon, Microsoft and IBM, concluded with a raft of announcements of new cybersecurity projects and spending plans.

• Microsoft said it would spend an additional $20 billion over five years on "security by design" and offer $150 million in technical services to federal, state and local governments.
  • Google plans to spend $10 billion over five years on zero-trust programs and other measures to bolster software supply chains and open-source security.
  • Amazon said it would offer the public free access to the same "security awareness training" it provides its employees.
  • IBM said it would train 150,000 people in cybersecurity skills over three years and partner with 20 historically Black colleges and universities to create cybersecurity leadership centers.
  • Apple said it was starting a new program to enhance supply chain security."

"The summit also covered ways to protect supply chains and critical infrastructure, cyber insurance for businesses, and a pressing shortage of workers in the sector, where "nearly half a million public and private cybersecurity jobs remain unfilled," according to a White House statement."

skatingguy

Golden Team
I can see why news organizations might write an Internet piece on the dog, but with the continuing situation in Afghanistan, the death of 13 American service personal, the drone strikes against the alleged assailants, and a major hurricane lining up to hit the Gulf coast there's no reason that 'Dog bit man' should make the evening news.

Last edited:

ballettmaus

I guess, Ida felt Biden must be bored in his old age and he and Harris didn't have enough on their plates with Afghanistan, YKW, clean up after TFG, voter suppression, infrastructure and immigration?
I'm sure he knew that it wasn't going to be easy but I'd be surprised if he expected his first year to look like this.

nylynnr

This is really not an issue. Articles and videos about a First Dog biting secret service men get hits and interaction, in the same manner an article about Amber Glenn's dog biting, say, Vincent Zhou at Champs Camp would get major interaction on twitter and facebook -- perhaps more so than news of Glenn's triple axel.

The item didn't lead the news. It was almost a bit of comic relief. First pets have been considered newsworthy since before FDR sent the Navy on a mission to rescue Fala.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I'm going to park this here as its about the politics not the situation in Afghanistan.

Apparently the Republicans are going all in on criticizing Biden, not just with regard to the withdrawal operation, but withdrawal at all:

“This was a disgraceful and disastrous departure that will allow the Taliban and Al Qaeda to celebrate the 20th anniversary of 9/11 by having complete control of Afghanistan,” said Senate minority leader Mitch McConnell at the press conference.

I say yes please. Make this your main message against Biden. Own it, guys. Own it. The American people did not want that war and do not want to be there. Let them know you disagree and think its a terrible thing that the US didn't keep digging itself deeper and deeper into a failed war. :blah:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I'm going to park this here as its about the politics not the situation in Afghanistan.

Apparently the Republicans are going all in on criticizing Biden, not just with regard to the withdrawal operation, but withdrawal at all:

I say yes please. Make this your main message against Biden. Own it, guys. Own it. The American people did not want that war and do not want to be there. Let them know you disagree and think its a terrible thing that the US didn't keep digging itself deeper and deeper into a failed war. :blah:
Yeah, Mitch is making a mistake here, but he'll drop it by the mid-term elections. At that point the rant will be what are we going to do with all these Afghani refugees taking jobs from 'mericans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information