The Biden-Harris Administration

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
A more dangerously hawkish policy towards China would be super popular with some in Miami, like it would be with the older Viet community who wouldn't be fighting those wars themselves. Buncha chicken hawks. Talk big, no action. No brains either.
yeah and a lot of trying to exploit this with a "Democrats are soft on China" schtick is going to come from a whole range of Republicans during the next four years. :rolleyes:

nylynnr

Plus, the markets are reacting to the fact the electon results are stabilized
No, the results were already factored in; the market today was celebrating Biden's (so far) moderation and the seeming success of Operation Warp Speed .... I think the main reason Biden hasn't nominated any true progressives yet -- apart from his inherent moderate leanings -- is that Democrats still hope to win both Senate races in Georgia. That would be harder to do if cabinet nominees were out and about espousing the Green Deal and other progressive policies.

caseyedwards

TBH everyone was soft on China for 40 years. Definitely more likely to go back to being soft on China than actually confront it in any real way. This especially true of Biden and his record. It’s very clear. China in WTO? Yes. The coddling of China even after Tiananmen was crazy. No elites in DC cared about it!! Amazing.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Three A's, T&M, P&C
I'm not sure that this was anyone's FIRST choice, but I think this is what we voted for. Democracy is like that.

I mean, did we want a gerontocracy? No. Did we vote for it? Yes.

Did we want a remake of the Obama administration? No. Did we vote for it? Yes.

I don't think many of us are going to be excited about Biden's picks, but this probably is the right thing for this difficult time.
Because of the destruction brought about by the Trump administration, the fastest way to get back on track is to hire/appoint experienced people. So they can hit the ground running.

Biden was my first choice for POTUS from the beginning, partly because of his experience and partly because of the way he treated people. It doesn’t mean he will repeat the steps taken by Obama. As Obama himself said- “that was 2008; this is 2020“.
Completely different initial conditions.

Susan1

Watching the clips of some of the new cabinet and hearing all the positive comments makes me so sad that we won't have a giant, joyful inauguration. After these past 4 years, I bet it would have been bigger than President Obama's. Can everybody in the world get vaccinated by January 20????

Japanfan

It was so nice to a)have a president sounding presidential, b)addressing a nation that is hurting and c)showing empathy

It's sad that such qualities are not required for a President.

I find myself impressed with the 'competence' that PM Trudeau displays (sure, some would argue). And it's the same thing - competence has become optional for a world leader.

clairecloutier

Here's an NYT article on remaining Cabinet contenders:

Am I the only one who's surprised that Pete Buttigieg hasn't been tapped for a major job? :unsure: I thought he was a shoo-in, partly because he dropped out of the race early & endorsed Biden, but more particularly for his work on Fox News as a Biden campaign surrogate late in the election cycle. Those appearances seemed to get widely praised, so I'm surprised there is not some reward from the Biden administration.

skatesindreams

Am I the only one who's surprised that Pete Buttigieg hasn't been tapped for a major job? :unsure: I thought he was a shoo-in, partly because he dropped out of the race early & endorsed Biden, but more particularly for his work on Fox News as a Biden campaign surrogate late in the election cycle. Those appearances seemed to get widely praised, so I'm surprised there is not some reward from the Biden administration.
I am confident that he has something in mind for him.

DFJ

He was my choice in the primaries. So disappointed if he isn't given a place in the administration.

Sparks

WSJ Exclusive: Biden will nominate Neera Tanden, the president and CEO of the Center for American Progress, to serve as OMB director. He will nominate Cecilia Rouse, a Princeton University labor economist, to be chair of the Council of Economic Advisers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information