Terrible Facility

Thread starter #1

fsfann

Ratings
Anyone else think that this is a dismal venue to host a prestigious Nationals event at?

It feels like a practice arena with portable stands. The seats are incredibly uncomfortable. There's no "warm vibe" in the place, whatsoever. Rats running around. Ugh.

I feel bad for the skaters who have worked so hard to get to the top competition of our country, and this is the venue they selected??? Just doesn't make sense to me.

The Accordion

Ratings
Anyone else think that this is a dismal venue to host a prestigious Nationals event at?

It feels like a practice arena with portable stands. The seats are incredibly uncomfortable. There's no "warm vibe" in the place, whatsoever. Rats running around. Ugh.

I feel bad for the skaters who have worked so hard to get to the top competition of our country, and this is the venue they selected??? Just doesn't make sense to me.
So what you are saying is, "bring on 4 continents!"?

overedge

crying in a bathroom in Milano
Ratings
The UBC rink is probably less expensive to rent for an event of this size than Rogers Place (former GM Place) and/or the Coliseum. I think the only other rinks of comparable size are in Langley, Abbotsford and Chilliwack, which would take even longer to get to than UBC.....

Thread starter #4

fsfann

Ratings
I'm sure it is. But I don't ever remember a Nationals being held in such a second (or third) rate facility. If costs in Vancouver were too high, they should have gone to a city like Victoria or somewhere else... I don't know..just seems really crappy for a Nationals.

Thread starter #8

fsfann

Ratings
Rats. Did you say rats?
Yes. A rat was running around today during Markell's skate. Two employees were trying to catch it, running through the stands while he skated. There was even a scream during the skate when the rat went by some lady's feet. Apparently there were a number of rats spotted yesterday as well.

Japanfan

Ratings
He wasn't responding to that name when the two staff people were chasing him through the stands while one of the junior men was mid-performance.
:D to the point of tears.

LOL I needed that today!

I can handle a rat - I actually like rats. So long as there are no snakes in the stadium, I'm good to go.

Last edited:

luckiest1

Ratings
It certainly doesn’t look like much from outside, and I’m glad I’m not sitting in the bleachers, but otherwise doesn’t seem worse than other arenas I’ve been to following this sport over the last 20 years. So far haven’t seen the rat, although we only attended junior pairs yesterday. Not sure I want to tell my roommates about it, but I like rats so I’m ok. Have one as a pet actually.

Ratings
Skate Canada needs to have a cat petting corner to take care of Ratatouille!
Nationals in Kamloops then! They had/have a rink cat :)

I don’t think the rink is that bad. It’s comparable to many rinks it’s size. Except for the rats :shudder: And there’s only one change table accessible to fans which is irritating but I realize I’m probably the only one who cares about that.

marigold

Ratings
He was adorable! I was actually rooting for the rat when they came after him. They caught him under the bucket but when they tried to get a cover on it, the rat squeaked out and escaped. Rat - 1, Human - 0. However, the maintenance guys eventually left so I don't know what became of the rat. This little guy was missing his tail, so I hope that he is spotted again. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)