Team Russia Test Skates: Junior (Aug. 1-9) and Senior (Sept. 7-8)

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Kostornaya, for me, the great delight of the field. Trusova for the Tech...but she's beautiful too. Zag skating like the World champ that she is. Tuk and Med too had their special qualities. Sigh. Why can’t Russia have 5 spots for World’s?

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
Sinitsina & Katsalapov FD

Zagorski & Guerreiro FD

Popova & Mozgov FD

Konkina & Drozd FD

Shpilevaya & Smirnov FD

Shevchenko & Eremenko FD

Morozov & Bagin FD

Evdokimova & Bazin FD

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Official broadcaster has posted the first 3 event replay videos:

Free Dance (1:06:33): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUdNMKedHfA

Men FS (48:53): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikTYi4lB_VA

Pairs FS (53:53): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUZOPNPVcmc

Playlist (now updated with 59 videos total; includes individual test skates & interviews): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL39l9SxO4ZYtllZ1p8kWA6L4dSF4TVUZp

ETA link to Ladies FS replay (1:14:51): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKhyTPDAUZg

Last edited:

oleada

Wow the ladies and the pairs were an absolute treat! :cheer2:

I think they should let Trusova have a challenge and compete for the mens Russian title. Actually, scratch that, the ladies are probably tougher. But I'm saying it right now, her TES at Russian nationals will be higher than any of the men, regardless of who wins. She's not a "pretty" skater, but I love her fierceness and athleticism. She looks fast in the video; I wonder if thats the case in the arena. I can't think of a better baby Danaerys Targaryen.

Scherbakova has my favorite program of the bunch. The costume change was great. She's very light and effervescent on the ice and this program brings it out perfectly. The less I think about the jump technique, the better.

I wasn't sure what to think about Kostornaya's program when announced, but I think I like it. She has a natural sassy side that it brings out and if she can up the performance a tiny bit, she will rock it. It's a nice change from her pretty programs and a nice contrast to the SP. Her skating skills are unrivaled in this field.

Alina looked great and I admire her tenacity after so many said she'd lose her jumps and quit. That said, I much prefer the other 3 As and would rather see all of them at Worlds.

Disappointed by Med. I love her, but she was really off today. I'll hold off on an opinion on the program since she just seemed off.

Liza was Liza; it was basically the same program she's always done. But she looks to be in great shape. Her 3A looks so easy; it's like she's not even trying.

Sofia had the better Moulin Rouge program but the vocalist made me want to turn the music off. It's okay, but can't see how it compares with 4A. Same with Konstantinova.

The pairs....

I'm among those who loved T/M's program. I think they are improved in every aspect of their skating and look to be in excellent shape for this point in the season. The change was a great idea.

B/K - Love them; don't love their program yet. A little shaky, like they need more time to get comfortable with it. Don't love the ending.

Stolbova/Novoselov have a lot of potential. Clearly still getting their timing together, but for this point in their partnership, they look amazing. Her skating skills and presence on the ice are still :swoon:. Her throw landings are still epic.

Mishina has my second favorite throw landings in the field, but I think they looked a bit heavy and rough. But they did really well for their first senior test skate. I hope they have a great debut season.

E/K still have frightening lifts and shaky jumps; and P/K sometimes skate so far apart it drives me nuts. I'd put these two teams at the bottom of the pile for now.

Last edited:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Catching up now. That is quite a Twilight program. I went from "pretty!" to "meh" to actual hatred. :lol: Oh well, I always loathed Twilight, so I guess I'm not the target audience here.

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
Pairs Free Skate

Efimova & Korovin

Boikova & Kozlovskii

Pavliuchenko & Khodikyn

Mishina & Galiamov

Tarasova & Morozov

Stolbova & Novoselov

jlai

Question everything
What excuse will we use this season when Kolyada Kolyadas himself? He has sinus surgery and is recovered so that's out. He got married so being lovesick is out. What will we use? :unsure:

Kolyada learned the 4 toe early, but the other quads late. He won't have the confidence of a Nathan Chen or Hanyu just because of this deficit. Confidence helps, but technique and training environment also helps confidence.

Wyliefan

The LoA theme is still pretty famous. I'm endlessly amused that Danny thinks it screams "Cleopatra." :lol:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
The depth of talent in the ladies and pairs in Russia is mind boggling.

I watched many but not all of the test skates.

Pairs:

I loved Boikova-Kozlovski's program although they made some mistakes. This is a more mature music and program for them. They will grow by challenging themselves.

T&M's LP to the Italian song is an upgrade from Candyman but that is not saying much. I do see better connection between them and a fierce Zhenya this season. I can't believe Marina Zoueva came up with this song when she had so many others to choose from, for this highly talented pair. I liked it that the crowd was clapping along. Overall the choreography felt good. It's a start. It may grow on me with time or this may just be another disappointment.

It felt odd to see Ksenia Stolbova skate again, and with a new partner. I loved Klimov but she used to make so many mistakes when she skated with him. She looks more comfortable and perhaps happier at this time. I would have preferred to not have the Morozov factor but it is her life and her choice. I think she received the biggest ovation from the crowd. She was definitely missed.

Mishiina and Gallyamov were good for a young pair.

Ladies:

I saw some SPs and some LPs.

Trusova is the most exciting lady skater I have seen since Midori Ito. She is definitely a trend setter. I wish Russia could send her to compete in the mens field. She is likely to beat all the Russian men and make the team, if only she is allowed to.

Kostornaia is one of the most beautiful lady skater. Such detail in her skating, at such a young age. I love watching her.
Anna Schsherbokova is very talented but can she beat others in her age group without landing the 4Lz?

Normally I don't care for Konstantinova, but she looked mature and artistic.

Medvedeva was a bit of a disappointment (fall on the jump combination) but Tracy Wilson looked very happy with her SP skate, despite the fall on the jump combination. Artistically she is way ahead of the youngsters but will she make the Russian world team? I am doubtful.

The biggest surprise for me was the artistic development of Alina Zagitova. One would think she has achieved everything but she clearly wants to get better. Incredible motivation.

Liza and Sofia were both disappointing in the SP. I saw Mishin shaking his head.

That's all for now.

Mad for Skating

I watched SinKats linked from another thread and thought it was lovely, I'm surprised at how negative the comments are here. I do think they could use more of a narrative thread I guess (I sort of miss programs that tell a story) but overall I really liked it. I can see the criticism that it's a bit similar to last year, but they are still getting their feet under them as bona fide medal contenders after a long struggle, so in this case I can see why they'd go with what works.

I rewatched it and found there were several lovely moments; the lifts were beautiful, and obviously they have good technique. The music is pretty, it just doesn’t build enough for me. Overall I liked it much better after watching it the second time.

antmanb

I just watched the Ladies LP and having all of Tutberidze's skaters in one group basically shows you that they all use the same spins in their programmes, the same transitions, you can see how they ramp it up as the skater gets better so they all have to yank the skate over their head in general transitions, that graduates to yank your skate over your head for a jump entrance transition, which them becomes yank your skate over your head for pre and post jump transition.

Tuk really is just doing the same programme she's done for all of her senior career but I am totally on board with that and don't care. Those two triple axels in the LP were phenomenal and so easy.

I wasn't sure about Med's LP at all. She does look like her basic skating is getting better - she's lost the spiky Tutberidze look that her skating used to have, but the 3Lz looked just as much on an inside edge as it ever has been.

Trusova looked a much improved skater to me as well. The size of her jumps are ridiculous and all those quads were phenomenal and I actually really enjoyed her programme.

Kostornaia's programme was my favourite of the night though - she has very smooth skating and really performed the programme - wasn't she the skater that was landing 3As too? What's happened to those? I'm not a fan of the bent picking leg on her flip, though Scherbakova's is even worse.

Wyliefan

I love the placement of Sofia's jumps in the LP. This program is going to look really good on her when she gets the jumps together.

alj5

Here's a link to all the ladies free programs.

Andrey aka Pushkin

Playing ping pong with balls of chocolate jam
Well, despite my predictions, Trusova still hasn't lost her quads. I'll wait another year then. It is kind of sad that she's going to bulldoze everyone else on her jumps only, the rest of her skating in rather unmemorable.

Tuktamysheva is becoming a Leonova with 3a. She's objectively not bad, but watching her doing her normal "a night at a bordello" program is becoming kind of like watching your drunk aunt dancing at a wedding. I hope no one has grown a custom to either Samodurova or Konstantinova, because you obviously are never going to see them again, not at the big events anyway.

Medvedeva's lutz is abysmal, otherwise I think she's doing fine. Was really surprised by Zagitova - I would have had much less problems with her winning the Olympics if that was how she skated there. Don't get the hype about Scherbakova, I find her to be the weakest of the zygotes bunch. Glad to see that Kostornaya is still godlike. That said, the programs of Tutberidze' group in general are horrendous this year. I understand that she has a mass production there, but I would think she'd bother to have some decent choreo at least for the leaders.

Andrey aka Pushkin

Playing ping pong with balls of chocolate jam
The Russian pairs in general had me yawning, sorry. The obvious picks are Tarasova/Morozov, Stolbova/Novoselov and Boikova/Kozlovsky. By some distance too. But all three of them seem to be in the in between stage. T/M and S/N are in that "when in doubt, do Carmen" position, but it's obviously better than what Savchenko did with Massot the first year. Delighted to see Ksenia back. B/K basically did the last year's program not even changing the costumes for the occasion, but they are still adorable. But over all, I felt this is not the year when the Russian pairs are planning to aim for the Beijing gold (with S/H around, good luck with that). I would expect the top three to have something less zzzzzzz next year, after they got used to their new coach, new partner or new .... Idk, age?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information