Team event rosters at the Games

slipchuk

Banned Member
With the various Olympic teams starting to unfold lets start making a guess at some of the Team Event rosters for the Games.

U.S Team

Pairs- Scimeca Knierim @ Scimeca both programs
Men- Chen both programs
Dance- Shibutanis short dance, Hubbell & Donohue free dance
Ladies- Nagasu short program, Tennell free skate

I would be stunned at anything other than this for the U.S team, other than possibly Nagasu and Tennell switching programs.

Canadian Team

Pairs- Duhamel & Radford both programs, not entirely sure but unfortunately the other Canadian pairs have been such a mess this year they might have no choice.
Men- Chan both programs
Dance- Virtue & Moir both programs if they use 2 pairs, and Weaver & Poje free dance probably if they use only D&R in the pairs.
Ladies- Osmond short program, Daleman long program

Russian Team

Pairs- Tarasova & Morozov short program, Stolbova & Klimov free program
Men- Kolyada both programs
Dance- Bobrova & Soloviev both programs
Ladies- Medvedeva short program, Zagitova long program

Japanese Team

Pairs- Suzaki & Kihara both programs
Men- Uno short program, Hanyu long program
Dance- Muramoto & Reed both programs
Ladies- Miyahara short, Sakamoto long

Italian Team

Pairs- Marchei & Hotarek short, Della Monico & Guarise long
Men- Rizzo both programs
Dance- Cappelini & Lanotte short, Guignard & Fabri long
Ladies- Kostner both program

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I also doubt Chen skates all four programs. So probably the short for him and Zhou the long. I also see dance being split how you suggest although Chock and Bates may make the best case for the FD. But as the third place team, I don't see them getting picked unfortunately. I think Tennell may be used for both programs if she feels up to it since she has shown so much consistency. And with China probably ending up very close in points, they need every point they can get.

Canada and Russia are probably going to be extremely close in the race for the gold medal. I think all of the top skaters/teams from Canada will end up doing both programs rather than switching anybody out. Duhamel/Radford, IIRC, were more than ready last time around to skate both programs, if chosen, even with the short turn-around.

As far as Russia, I think it's a toss-up whether it's pairs or dance that swap out (along with the ladies). In dance, if they give Stepanova/Bukin a shot, they are likely to finish in the same spot that B/S would in the FD if it's a CAN, USA, RUS, CHN, JPN final so there are no points lost there. But I'm not sure Tarasova/Morozov want to do four programs as a serious medal threat individually. So Stolbova/Klimov LP may be the likely scenario.

I think China makes it to the Final 5 over Italy. While they could fight for the bronze medal, it would probably require Sui/Han and Jin to skate both programs but a) I'm not sure they want Sui/Han tiring before the individual event and b) I'm not sure Jin's body can handle that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information