Summary - spots at olympics and ‘22 worlds

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
From all I have been able to follow, it seems Moyer and USFS weren't even aware of A) the change in the rules that don't guarantee a second/third spot without Nebelhorn and B) that the skaters who contributed to earning that extra spot can't be the ones to officially confirm it.

So they went in to this Worlds understanding nothing.
I wonder if this is a "we weren't paying attention because we were 100% convinced that this wouldn't apply to us and now we gotta cover our butts" response.

Carolla5501

So I think I heard them say on the CBC broadcast today that Keegan had earned Canada 2 spots for men at the Olys and I had the same thought that they were just over-simplifying rather than getting into the whole thing but perhaps they were drinking the same wine as the USFSA. I also just reviewed the beginning of today's broadcast and they definitely are explaining it the way it used to be.
Hopefully Skate Canada actually understood correctly before Worlds and this is just a CBC mistake.

Well Terry Gannon on NBC seem to understand what was required.

Karen-W

Well Terry Gannon on NBC seem to understand what was required.

But Terry does his research himself. He doesnt just call up random USFS tweets.
Hi, Terry!!!! We know you're here, just admit it! ;)

Or, it could be a matter of this becoming such a hot topic over the past 48 hours that Terry got clarification from the ISU/USFS before he went on the air.

emilieh

So I think I heard them say on the CBC broadcast today that Keegan had earned Canada 2 spots for men at the Olys and I had the same thought that they were just over-simplifying rather than getting into the whole thing but perhaps they were drinking the same wine as the USFSA. I also just reviewed the beginning of today's broadcast and they definitely are explaining it the way it used to be.
Hopefully Skate Canada actually understood correctly before Worlds and this is just a CBC mistake.

Skate Canada's press release includes this line: "The showing was Messing’s best in three appearances at the world championships and guaranteed Canada two men’s spots for next year’s Olympic Winter Games."

So I'm not convinced that they understood either.

jlai

Title-less
So this is the list of countries that are notable absences at this worlds that we need to factor in?

for men...
the notable absences at this worlds were Yee and Kerry for Malaysia and Australia? So they need a spot (what happened to them btw?)
So men will be quite competitive, with 5 countries to "confirm" plus Malaysia and Australia and all the other countries who placed outside top 24 this time.

For ladies:
Leung from HK because of the withdrawal. and Kazakhstan? France too.
So for women - is there a strong second entry from Austria and Belgium? We all know the possible US ladies pool
If not, this may be less competitive than the men's event. Only slightly.

For pairs:
a North Korean pair? and one from Spain?
This may be the least predictable as we don't know that much about the North Korean pair.

Ice dance?
France is down a spot. I don't remember any other notable absences...

Last edited:

skatingguy

Golden Team
So this is the list of countries that are notable absences at this worlds that we need to factor in?

for men...
the notable absences at this worlds were Yee and Kerry for Malaysia and Australia? So they need a spot (what happened to them btw?)
So men will be quite competitive, with 5 countries to "confirm" plus Malaysia and Australia and all the other countries who placed outside top 24 this time.

For ladies:
So for women - is there a strong second entry from Austria and Belgium? We all know the possible US ladies pool

For pairs:
This may be the least predictable as we don't know that much about the North Korean pair.

Ice dance?
The Georgians are probably the most notable absence from Worlds who would be competing at Nebelhorn.

Karen-W

for men...

For ladies:

For pairs:

Ice dance?
Per IG - Malaysia has been in and out of lockdown, so I'm guessing Yee didn't have enough training time for Worlds this year.

Austria has other ladies but they're "lucky to make it to the FS at Euros" level; Belgium has a promising junior but not sure if she will be old enough for seniors next season.

skatingguy

Golden Team
But they did earn three spots. If they mean worlds
No one's writing articles about next year's World Championships yet - the Olympic entries are the only thing that are the focus for now - World's entries will become important after that the Olympics next year.

Japanfan

Sure, I'll bite since this is only the fourth or fifth thread discussing this stuff.
Mens Olympic:
3 JPN
2 USA RUS ITA
1 CAN FRA KOR CHN GEO SUI EST BLR LAT CZE MEX UKR SWE ISR
Didn't Keegan ensure Canada two spots for men at the OG?

Last edited:

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
Didn't Keegan ensure Canada spots for men at the OG?

He earned 1 direct spot obtained at Worlds, plus the chance for Canada to send a skater to Nebelhorn in September and take a second spot THERE for the Olympics. So, yes he earned one directly and the right for canadian skating to compete for a second one in the Olympic Qualifier

Japanfan

He earned 1 direct spot obtained at Worlds, plus the chance for Canada to send a skater to Nebelhorn in September and take a second spot THERE for the Olympics. So, yes he earned one directly and the right for canadian skating to compete for a second one in the Olympic Qualifier

The CBC article stating that Messing earned Canada two spots for men at the OG is here

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work

They are wrong, we discussed this issue all during worlds after pairs free skate and the confusion started please read the proper thread at the world championships area

or read here where the olympic qualification process is well explained, digested and with examples like the one with Keegan and Canada:

Karen-W

how dare you underestimating the abilities of the greatest Pluschenko!!!! :drama:
Well, I'm just sayin' all Yana cares about is publicity, so they don't really need him staging a comeback, given the :watch:we get with the Eteri "rivalry" these days, lol.

honey

That is actually a Canadian Press article.

On the CBC broadcast yesterday, before they went off the air they did a summary of spots earned and they specifically mentioned that the second men’s spot for Canada needs to be confirmed at Nebelhorn. So someone at CBC got the memo.

MacMadame

Staying at home
The rest of the thread pretty much explains this. And the other one called Olympic Spots.
And the other one called Olympic Qualifying Changes:

And also one called Olympic Qualifications

And every PBP thread.

and a few other random threads.

Though I think Olympic Spots got merged. I haven't seen it in a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information