Summary - spots at olympics and ‘22 worlds

tony

Sure, I'll bite since this is only the fourth or fifth thread discussing this stuff.

This assumes you are taking my word for qualifying procedures and not other versions being circulated. But I'm going by what the ISU has written in their own communication.

Pairs Olympic:
3 RUS
2 CHN CAN USA ITA
1 JPN AUT GER HUN CZE

Able to go to Nebelhorn for 3 additional spots:
All countries without 1+ entries
1 CHN (cannot be Sui/Han or Peng/Jin)
1 JPN (cannot be Miura/Kihara)

Worlds:
3 RUS 3 CHN 2 CAN 2 USA 2 ITA 2 JPN all others 1 (with mins)

Ladies Olympic:
3 RUS JPN
2 USA KOR
1 BEL AUT AZE CAN EST SWE NED BUL GER GEO CHN CZE GBR FIN

Able to go to Nebelhorn for 6 additional spots:
1 USA (cannot be Chen or Tennell)
1 BEL (cannot be Hendrickx)
1 AUT (cannot be Mikutina)

Worlds:
3 RUS 3 USA 3 JPN 2 BEL 2 AUT 2 KOR all others 1 (with mins)

Mens Olympic:
3 JPN
2 USA RUS ITA
1 CAN FRA KOR CHN GEO SUI EST BLR LAT CZE MEX UKR SWE ISR

Able to go to Nebelhorn for 7 additional spots (it's 7 because China had two skaters in the LP but didn't do enough to keep two spots):
1 USA (cannot be Chen or Brown)
1 RUS (cannot be Kolyada or Semenenko)
1 CAN (cannot be Messing)
1 FRA (cannot be Aymoz)
1 KOR (cannot be Cha)

Worlds:
3 USA JPN RUS 2 CAN FRA KOR ITA all others 1 (with mins)

Dance Olympic:
3 RUS USA CAN
1 ITA GBR ESP POL CHN LTU FRA GER JPN UKR

Able to go to Nebelhorn for 4 additional spots:
1 ITA (cannot be Guignard/Fabbri)
1 GBR (cannot be Fear/Gibson)

Worlds:
3 RUS USA CAN 2 ITA GBR all others 1 (with mins)

Last edited:

Karen-W

Pairs (16 spots awarded):
3 = Russia
2 = China*, Canada, USA, Italy
1 = Japan*, Austria, Germany, Hungary, Czech Republic

Ladies (24 spots awarded):
3 = Russia, Japan
2 = USA*, Korea
1 = Belgium*, Austria*, Azerbaijan, Canada, Estonia, Sweden, Netherlands, Bulgaria, Germany, Georgia, China, Czech Republic, Great Britain, Finland

* = can earn 1 additional spot at Nebelhorn

Karen-W

Adding the Current Standings for the Team Event Qualifying:

Top 6 look pretty secure. Italy does, though, need to qualify a woman at Nebelhorn - though if they don't, they'll surely use one of the "Additional Athlete" quotas for the Team Event.

Austria - per an article in the OES thread, Zandron doesn't have citizenship and doesn't sound like he is on track to get it before Beijing; their junior dance teams are pretty far off the TES minimums, so my guess is they won't qualify.

Korea still needs to qualify a pairs or dance team - questionable. They don't have a pairs team. Min/Eaton should be able to qualify in dance - they finished well ahead of Japan's Komatsubara/Koleto at 2020 4CCs.

France needs a lady or pairs team to qualify - probably questionable for both.

Great Britain both need a lady or pairs team to qualify - probably questionable for both unless Jones/Boyadji can get back on the ice with some solid training time that isn't interrupted by lockdowns.

Belgium has no men, pairs or dance teams listed in the TES minimum lists for either senior or junior - so they're not qualifying.

Germany needs a man - and that is doable as there are 7 spots up for grabs at Nebelhorn (5 countries are competing for additional spots). Fentz finished 26th (Zhou was 25th) in the SP here.

Czech Republic needs a dance team to qualify - their dance team finished 21st in the RD.

Georgia needs both a pairs and dance team to qualify - also doable. Their pairs team finished just behind the Czech team who were the last to qualify through Worlds and Kazakova/Reviya should easily nab one of the 4 dance spots available at Nebelhorn.

In conclusion - top 6 are solid; Korea, France, Great Britain, Germany, Czech Republic & Georgia are in the hunt for the final 4 spots.

Preliminary Team Event Qualification

RankCountryLadiesMenPairsIce DanceTotal
1Russia1200787120012004387
2United States875120063810803793
3Canada3397097099722729
4Japan70910804651802434
5China14633910803391901
6Italy04185747091701
7Austria57404180992
8Korea46546500930
9France0517162247926
10Great Britain1180106638862
11Belgium787000787
12Germany2000339200739
13Czech Republic131180275131717
14Georgia1623052470714
15Estonia30524700552
16Hungary00305118423
17Belarus02222000422
18Spain000418418
19Sweden27511800393
20Netherlands24701310378
21Azerbaijan377000377
22Poland000377377
23Ukraine01460162308
24Israel01061800286
25Lithuania000275275
26Switzerland027500275
27Finland10600146252
28Bulgaria222000222
29Latvia020000200
30Mexico016200162
31Croatia001460146
32Australia000106106

Last edited:

Karen-W

Thanks to everyone trying to figure all this out.

Can't wait to see who some of the feds choose to go to Neblehorn to secure a spot. Like does Skate Canada go with Nam or Roman? USFS go with Bell or Liu?? Let the fun off season begin!
Apparently Phil Hersh has tweeted that Mitch Moyer of the USFS thinks they might have some sort of competition prior to Nebelhorn to determine who gets the spots. When is US Classic this year?

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Apparently Phil Hersh has tweeted that Mitch Moyer of the USFS thinks they might have some sort of competition prior to Nebelhorn to determine who gets the spots. When is US Classic this year?
Isn't it usually in September sometime? I think they might have to do some summer comps or something, but then I'm not keeping up with dates hahaha

tony

From all I have been able to follow, it seems Moyer and USFS weren't even aware of A) the change in the rules that don't guarantee a second/third spot without Nebelhorn and B) that the skaters who contributed to earning that extra spot can't be the ones to officially confirm it.

So they went in to this Worlds understanding nothing.

Karen-W

Isn't it usually in September sometime? I think they might have to do some summer comps or something, but then I'm not keeping up with dates hahaha
Neither am I. I'm just hoping that skating competitions will be back to mostly normal by August, even if they are without fans or only limited attendance. Hopefully most of these skaters, coaches and officials required for events will have been vaccinated by then.

Karen-W

From all I have been able to follow, it seems Moyer and USFS weren't even aware of A) the change in the rules that don't guarantee a second/third spot without Nebelhorn and B) that the skaters who contributed to earning that extra spot can't be the ones to officially confirm it.

Way to pay attention to the legislation at the ISU Congress.

And, I'm gonna quote Isabella from Galavant here as I mutter under my breath, "Dumbasses."

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Neither am I. I'm just hoping that skating competitions will be back to mostly normal by August, even if they are without fans or only limited attendance. Hopefully most of these skaters, coaches and officials required for events will have been vaccinated by then.
Texas is opening up vaccinations to everyone staring Monday, so the Gribbles can come home and get vaccinated straight away ahaha. I think by the fall things will be looking much better in the US anyway.

The Olympic spot drama is starting early this season, which is fun for us. But I hope USFS gets it together and starts reading some stuff or something.

Erin

Did the US not vote on this at the ISU Congress? (I'm not questioning you, I'm really genuinely curious if they just skipped out on this part entirely or what happened there.)

tony

Did the US not vote on this at the ISU Congress? (I'm not questioning you, I'm really genuinely curious if they just skipped out on this part entirely or what happened there.)
I have no idea, but Phil Hersh's Tweets make it sound like Moyer was clueless.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice

Reading Phil’s tweets, he uses the phrase “very confusingly written” to describe the rule change, and it already sounds like USFS doing CYA. To me, the rule is plain as day when read plainly without any preconceived ideas of what it’s “supposed” to mean. USFS went from unknowingly spreading misinformation to now blaming anyone but themselves for not understanding the rules as written.

skatingguy

Golden Team

Obviously they need to start monitoring FSU because we had this sorted last summer, complete with all the examples from 2017 of which countries it would apply to.

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member
Reading Phil’s tweets, he uses the phrase “very confusingly written” to describe the rule change, and it already sounds like USFS doing CYA. To me, the rule is plain as day when read plainly without any preconceived ideas of what it’s “supposed” to mean. USFS went from unknowingly spreading misinformation to now blaming anyone but themselves for not understanding the rules as written.
It certainly betrayed a sense of entitlement in those reading it the way they did...

tony

That would explain why there are so many USFSA and adjacent tweets like "KAREN AND BRADIE EARN US THREE SPOTS!" I just thought they were oversimplifying to the point of confusion as per usual.
Sometimes it blows my mind how far off-base or clueless the rest of the figure skating community appears to be when you venture into Twitter discussions or Instagram comments. Officials really should just stick to creeping on FSU; the thread highlighting the changes is already over a year old.

Skate Talker

That would explain why there are so many USFSA and adjacent tweets like "KAREN AND BRADIE EARN US THREE SPOTS!" I just thought they were oversimplifying to the point of confusion as per usual.
So I think I heard them say on the CBC broadcast today that Keegan had earned Canada 2 spots for men at the Olys and I had the same thought that they were just over-simplifying rather than getting into the whole thing but perhaps they were drinking the same wine as the USFSA. I also just reviewed the beginning of today's broadcast and they definitely are explaining it the way it used to be.
Hopefully Skate Canada actually understood correctly before Worlds and this is just a CBC mistake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information