suggestions for donating the $1200 US aid?

Icetalavista

I am fortunate enough to not need this $1200. One place I may donate at least part of it is to organizations that help childcare providers. But there are many, many other needs. Suggestions on places/organizations which are most in need at the moment?

Aceon6

Isolating from mean people
IF there's a Federal distribution, my number one priority will be to make sure my family and friends are ok. If there's any extra money, I'll hand carry it to LOCAL organizations that have really stepped up. If anything, the ********* has opened my eyes to the people in my city who make the most difference.

MsZem

There's this:

flyingsit

My plan is (if I get any, which I probably won't) is 50% to local foodbanks and 50% buying gift cards to local businesses.

MacMadame

Staying at home
I don't think I'm getting any. But, if I do, I'll probably pay off debts. I already give a lot to charity both money and time so I don't think I'll do that with this. Though maybe I'll buy more underwear and socks for our Mobile Hygiene unit. They always need them. Also food for our monthly feeding event.

sk8pics

I don’t think I will get any either but I will take some and support Old Friends (which many of you know I am very attached to) and the shelter I volunteer with and who gave me Bradley to foster, Faithful Friends.

acraven

I don't expect to get any money (and shouldn't, because my federal pension isn't at risk), but I'm donating to two local food-bank organizations and Meals on Wheels.

Prancer

Professional Spuddler
Staff member
We are not lilkely to get any money, but if we do, we've decided to split one check into gift cards and give them to our hair stylists and some servers we like and donate the other check to some as-yet undetermined organization.

Spun Silver

Many North American skaters (I'm not sure about elsewhere) who coach part-time and skate in shows have had their livelihoods interrupted. Most of them could use money for training costs too. Not the Nathan Chens, of course, but most ice dancers and pairs teams and the singles skaters who aren't famous. You could support a lot of them through the New England Amateur Skating Foundation. There's not much about it online but it's real and tax-exempt, and if you indicate which skater you'd like to support they will generally honor your wishes (they always have with me). Sometimes the skaters will send thank you notes too (albeit about two years later in one case, LOL). Here's one example of a skater who is listed with them, with contact info for the foundation -- just send them a note and a check and be prepared to wait a while till they answer - it's volunteer-staffed, I believe. http://starrandrews.figureskatersonline.com/contact/

Doctors Without Borders is good.

Most performing arts groups are in trouble now, so take your pick.

And there is probably a shelter or two in your area that needs help. A little googling should turn it or them up.

Vagabond

Several leading universities such as Oxford, the University of Pennsylvania, and Columbia, have set up you-know-what-kind of research funds. I have already donated to a couple of them as well as to my local food bank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information