did not qualify for the Free Skating/Free Dance, will be awarded 18
points for Single Skating and the number of points equal to their
placement in Short Program/Short Dance for Pair Skating/Ice Dance
(however if this placement is lower than 18, only 18 points will be
awarded). Competitors who qualified for the Free Skating/Free Dance,
but were not placed higher than 16th place in the final result will be
awarded 16 points (or the number of points equal to the number of
Competitors if the number of Competitors entered is less than 16 in cases
of withdrawals not specified in the paragraph below).

However the Competitors who withdrew because of:
- illness or injury, (provided this illness or injury is certified by the
ISU Medical Advisor) or
- unexpected damage to the equipment during the warm up or the
performance (provided this damage of the equipment is certified by
the Referee),
are not considered as entered for the purpose of this Rule if they did not
start or finish the Free Skating/Free Dance, but were among the top ten
(10) in the Short Program/Short Dance.

If an ISU Member entered three (3) Competitors in a discipline of a
Championships, only the two (2) best placed Competitors will count for
points;

Source link (page 24): SPECIAL REGULATIONS & TECHNICAL RULES SINGLE & PAIR SKATING and ICE DANCE 2016

Thread starter #2

Sylvia

Club comp. season is underway & I'm not ready yet
Ratings
PAIRS spots earned for countries at 2019 Worlds:

3 spots: Russia (2+4)

2: Germany (1+13), France (3+18), Italy (5+10), Canada (6+18), China (7+9)

1: Czech Republic/Czechia (11), North Korea (12), Austria (14), USA (15), Australia (16);
(all 18 for FNR) Israel, Spain, Croatia, Switzerland, Japan, South Korea, Great Britain, Hungary (the pair representing Azerbaijan WD before Worlds)... any others that can meet the minimum technical scores next season (current minimums are 25 SP / 43 FS).

clairecloutier

Ratings
Overall, Canada, China and USA all lost one spot for 2019; no country earned an additional one. Pity :(.
Yes. I guess that means a smaller overall field next year, in all likelihood. Too bad.

I was realizing yesterday that the 16-pair limit for the FS makes the Worlds pairs SP one of the more exciting events of the year, for me anyway. Just the suspense of seeing which teams will make it. And the more pairs that compete, the closer and more exciting the race!

Thread starter #5

Sylvia

Ratings
LADIES - more than 1 spot for next year:

3 spots: Canada (1+7), Japan (2+3), Russia (5+8 :eek:)

2 spots: Italy (4+16), USA (6+10), Belgium (Loena's 9th!)

Domshabfan

A proud P/C fan
Ratings
Men (more than 1 spot for next year):
3 spots: Japan 7 (2=5), Russia 10 (3+7), USA 12 (1+11)
2 Spots: Israel (4+18), Latvia (6th), Canada (8+18), Uzbekistan (9th), Czech Republic (10th)...

I am not sure if Misha is going to compete next year since he has retired and un-retired quite a few times already. Latvia's 2nd spot will be interesting...

Thread starter #11

Sylvia

Ratings
Earned more than one spot for 2019 Worlds:

3 spots: USA (2+5), Canada (3+6), Italy (4+9)

2: France (1+13), Russia (7+8)

Ratings
I don't know that Ge has retired and unretired: he's said twice, IIRC, that he wasn't sure if he could skate the next season because of injuries, and there were social media posts that we misinterpreted as a farewell.

His choreography business is growing, which may make it easier for him to transition out of competition.

Thread starter #15

Sylvia

Ratings
Autocorrects for Canada and Czechia? ;) (It took me a long time to figure out the second one and I eventually had to just look it up
I was :confused: too but @Domshabfan had listed the countries with 2 spots in post #9.

I don't know that Ge has retired and unretired: he's said twice, IIRC, that he wasn't sure if he could skate the next season because of injuries, and there were social media posts that we misinterpreted as a farewell.

His choreography business is growing, which may make it easier for him to transition out of competition.
I believe Misha Ge is still dealing with the same foot(?) injury and so I will not be surprised if he decides this is really it for his competitive skating.

mackiecat

Ratings
Autocorrects for Canada and Czechia? ;) (It took me a long time to figure out the second one and I eventually had to just look it up because all I could come up with was China and I knew it wasn't that after Boyang's disaster)
Wow that is not what I originally put. I used the same chord forms from the results. Dang autocorrect

mag

Ratings
Not sure if this is the right spot to put this, but does anyone know what the minimum scores will be for next year? Do they change based on the top score here or are they already set?

Thread starter #18

Sylvia

Ratings
does anyone know what the minimum scores will be for next year? Do they change based on the top score here or are they already set?
The ISU Championships minimum technical element scores were published in ISU Communication no. 2097 (Decisions of the ISU Council) in mid-June last year.

The ISU Congress will take place in Seville, Spain, June 4-8, 2018, and the ISU Council will also meet there.

ETA:

Are you thinking of the Minimum Score for Grand Prix events? From the 2017/18 ISU Grand Prix Announcement:

Each entrant to the six events of the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Series must meet a minimum total score from ISU Events (GP, JGP, Championships, and ISU Challenger Series Events) of the previous season OR a minimum technical score in short program/short dance and free programs/free dance from such ISU Events or selected international competitions (last season or current season) to be included in the entry or the Alternate List (with exceptions and procedures as noted in paragraphs 6, 8 and 9 and 10). These scores will be published annually and be decided in consultation with the ISU Technical Committee in each discipline and approved by the ISU Grand Prix Coordination Group.

The minimum total score from ISU Events for 2017/18 was 3/5 of highest score per discipline at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2017: Ladies 140.05 Men 192.95 Pair Skating 139.23 Ice Dance 119.17.

mag

Ratings
The minimum total score from ISU Events for 2017/18 was 3/5 of highest score per discipline at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2017: Ladies 140.05 Men 192.95 Pair Skating 139.23 Ice Dance 119.17.
So assuming the same 3/5 rule, the minimum scores will go up in some categories. So I assume that means that some may have had the score for this year, but that score is no longer high enough for next year?

Also, is it total score or just TES?

Thread starter #22

Sylvia

Ratings
Here's the rest of the relevant info from page 4 of the 2017/18 Grand Prix Announcement: https://www.isu.org/docman-document...33-gp-general-announcement-2017-18-final/file

"Each entrant to the six events of the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Series must meet ... OR a minimum technical score in short program/short dance and free programs/free dance."

The Grand Prix Minimum Technical Score to be achieved in short and free programs from such ISU Events is
as follows:
SP/SD FS/FD
Ladies 25.26 46.96
Men 36.47 75.67
Pair Skating 26.64 46.06
Ice Dance 26.24 36.47

Skaters/Couples who have scored at least the above mentioned limit in an ISU Championships, ISU Grand
Prix of Figure Skating and Final (Senior or Junior) or ISU Challenger Series Competition between July 1st,
2016 and May 25, 2017 are eligible for selection into the Grand Prix events 2017/18 or in the alternate list.
Skaters/Couples, placed in the top 75 Season’s Best (season 2016/17) are placed on the alternate list.
However those who need to score the minimum Grand Prix score as listed above can do so in the ISU
Challenger Series 2017/18.

Ratings
So assuming the same 3/5 rule, the minimum scores will go up in some categories. So I assume that means that some may have had the score for this year, but that score is no longer high enough for next year?

Also, is it total score or just TES?
The Top 75 SB in Ladies, Men, and Dance have met the GP minimum scores without an issue since they came into play, with maybe one exception where it was Top 70, ie. pretty much irrelevant. Although they want all of the host spots to be Top 75 SB, not all of them have been.

For many years, Pairs with the GP minimums would max out in the low 40's, and then maybe one or two teams would earn the technical minimums on top of that. But with eight spots for Pairs, I think they had to go to the alternates list from the winners of five early internationals -- now the first five or six CS events -- only once, because there were a large number of withdrawals and no one else in the Top 75 SB had the GP minimum. (I don't think there were technical minimums yet for GP.)

Next year, if the 3/5 rule is the same, give or take a tenth of a point,

Men: 192.94​
Ladies: 133.94​
Dance: 124.32​
Pairs: 147.50​

Since the SB scores have been updated post Worlds, and there are no more events that can earn an SB this season, that means the people who've earned it are:

Men: Top 86​
Ladies: Top 133​
Dance: Top 79​
Pairs: Top 53​
If I remember correctly, the GP TES minimums are the highest TES of the Top 3 from each program at Worlds factored by 3/5. For Pairs that means:

SP: Based on 44.14 (S/M), or 26.48​
FS: Based on 83.90 (S/M), or 50.34​
The teams that don't have the total minimums, and might be eligible based on the technical minimums are, ie how far down the list can Gailhauget go:
  • SB 54-Thomalla/Kunkel (SP, Jr.)
  • SB 55-Feng/Nyman (SP, Jr.)
  • SB 56-Jones/Boyadji (both)
  • SB 57-Matte/Ferland (SP, Jr.)
  • SB 58-Sui/Guo (SP, Jr.)
  • SB 59-Kvartalova/Sviatchenko (SP, Jr.)
  • SB 60-Ghilardi/Ambrosini (both)
  • SB 61-Miura/Ichihashi (SP, Jr.)
  • SB 62-Ustimkina/Volodin (SP)
  • SB 63-Chtchetinina/Volodin (both)
  • SB 63-Petronovic/Souza-Kordieru (both)
  • SB 65-Smith/Reiss (SP)
  • SB 66-Hamon/Strekalin (SP, Jr.)
  • SB 67-Zhang/Jia -- she's not age-eligible
  • SB 68-Karagodina/Stepanov (FS)
  • SB 69-Mendoza/Kovalev (SP)
  • SB 70-Akhanteva/Kolesov (SP, Jr.)
  • SB 71-Kim/Kim (both)
  • SB 72-Yao/Simon (SP, Jr.)
  • SB 73-Boys-Eddy/Boys-Eddy (SP, Jr.)
  • SB 74-Panetta/Lapointe -- she's not age-eligible
  • SB 75-Kopmar/Barrett -- she's not age-eligible
They can also earn them at some early CS events, if they go and skate senior, as only JGP/JGPF and Jr. Worlds scores can be used.

Thread starter #26

Sylvia

Ratings
Does winning the gold medal in a discipline earn a country 3 spots or did I make that up?
Only if the gold (or silver medalist) is the only one representing that country at any of the ISU Championships.

ETA:

kwanfan1818 has calculated the projected top 30 ladies in the ISU World Standings (after the 2015-16 season ISU ranking points are removed and the 2016-17 points are reduced to 70%) and I have posted them in this thread (scroll down): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/current-isu-world-standings-projected-updates.103710/

Last edited:

Dobre

Ratings
Overall, Canada, China and USA all lost one spot for 2019; no country earned an additional one. Pity :(.
And Korea is down to only one lady, while having two age-eligible for next season with SB scores higher than both Karen Chen & Ashley Wagner. Plus Hanul, who had very respectable performances at the Olympics this season.

Always someone having to rebuild.

shah

Shhh... shhh...
Ratings
And Korea is down to only one lady, while having two age-eligible for next season with SB scores higher than both Karen Chen & Ashley Wagner. Plus Hanul, who had very respectable performances at the Olympics this season.

Always someone having to rebuild.
The WD of Dabin didn't help :(. Had she not had boot issues, she would have been perfectly capable of getting into top 12... Such a shame!

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Ratings
I suppose this will be taken the wrong way by someone but I almost wish Russia had lost three spots for ladies because it would have been so ludicrous for them to only have two spots next year given all their success on the Grand Prix series. It might have forced to change in the process.

When you consider how popular skating is at the Olympics it's just criminal that it's not more popular on an annual basis. They need to do a better job of getting the top skaters to World Championships so that individual skaters can build a fanbase and first year skaters can get valuable experience.

Other posters have suggested that some countries be allowed to send more than three skaters. For example, the Grand Prix Final Champion, defending world champion and defending Junior world champion if they're age eligible, all get automatic bids that don't count against the number of spots they earned at the previous year's worlds.

And for countries that have two or less spots, maybe there could be a separate qualifying standard for an additional skater, like a second or third skater, to make it to Worlds if they do well in the Challenger Series or on the Grand Prix series. It would certainly add some significance to those events

Perhaps if they allow more skaters per country than the spots that country earned at the previous worlds, they could still apply the quota for the free skate.

For example, country A earned 3 spots and has the defending Jr world championship who is now age eligible. They send the defending Jr. champ + 3 others. All four qualify for the free skate but only the highest three of the four are allowed to compete in the free skate. So whoever finished 25th would then qualify to the free skate because the the lowest placing skater of the four from Country A would not be eligible for the free skate.

Country B qualifies one skater from the prior World Championships. However at least two of skaters from Country B have met the special qualifying standard the required number of times at either a GP or CS event. This would enable both of them to go to Worlds but only the highest placing skater of those two in the short program gets to continue on to the free skate.

Last edited:

Debbie S

Ratings
Perhaps if they allow more skaters per country than the spots that country earned at the previous worlds, they could still apply the quota for the free skate.
That would mean some of the best skaters in the event wouldn't get to do the FS, which is similar to what happens in gymnastics with the 2 per country rule to qualify for the AA final. But in gymnastics, they all compete in the team event, and in skating, that would mean skaters would be spending money on coaching, feds would be spending money on travel, and parents/families might be spending money for travel, hotel, and tickets, all to only compete in the SP while skaters placing lower move on. I don't think that would be economically feasible for the skaters or feds, esp the smaller ones.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)