Sports Reports

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
Cycling started the season with a number of teams quarantined in UAE for weeks due to cases breaking out during a race. They canceled most of the spring season and delayed the Giro and the Tour de France. But they started up with some smaller races and have done some larger day races and week long stage races recently without any major problems. The recent problems have been the sort you get in cycling - hail storms battering the riders, cars inadvertently driving onto the course and crashing into riders and riders crashing into ravines. The podium ceremonies are different with a few elbow bumps and no podium hostesses.

The delayed Tour is supposed to start in a few weeks, that will be the biggest challenge.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Two people in the NY Mets organization (believed to be one player and one staff member) have tested positive, causing tonight's game against the Marlins and tomorrow's game against the Yankees to be postponed.

missing

A New Jersey lab is showing a number of positive results, causing the NFL both to worry about the teams and about the reliability of the lab.

The NFL is working Sunday morning to assess a series of positive *********-19 results that have all been traced to the same laboratory in New Jersey, raising concerns about the efficacy of the testing program they established to minimize spread of the disease...

Buffalo Bills general manager Brandon Beane told reporters that at least 10 teams were impacted.

once_upon

Voter
I saw a bit of a high school volleyball game on sports news last night. The girls all except one were wearing masks. The one that wasn't-i wasn't sure if she just pulled it down before the clip. It looked like she might have been wearing it.

Thats pretty high intense sport at least at that level - the one team is ranked in top ten in the US.

Susan1

Indy 500 at 1 p.m.! When they postponed it, they were going to 50% capacity, then it was 25%. Now, no fans. That won't affect the race, but it really messes up the pomp and circumstance before the race.

They interviewed a couple who has been married for 55 years and this is the first race in 50 years they will not be able to go to.

All those people who go the Snake Pit (I had to type the word) in the infield who just go there to get drunk and watch the entertainment during the race will just have to go somewhere else.

missing

This is one of those stories that could go in a lot of different threads.

Every NBA team-owned arena will be turned into a polling site for the November election.

The league and union announced Friday that the playoffs will resume Saturday. That announcement included a concrete promise from the league. Every team-owned arena will turn into a polling place for the November election in locations where that’s still legally possible in order for voters to have a large, *********-safe place to vote in person.

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
The delayed Tour de France starts tomorrow. Star riders are asking fans to stay home, but it's not like they can just refuse to sell tickets. On the plus it's all outdoors, but some fans would camp out for mountain stages for days and make it a big party with lots of fans crowded on the popular sections. It's also one of the few major sporting events where fans can actually run alongside their favorites on steep mountain stages and get within inches of the athletes.

Plus riders are often together on a bus for hours transitioning between stages and would traditionally eat all their meals together.

Jenny

From the Bloc
Other sports you might not usually watch but that are going ahead in the coming weeks and months:

• Triple Crown horse racing - the Belmont ran as per usual in June, but the other two are rescheduled so there's the Kentucky Derby this Saturday June 5, then the Preakness on Oct 3
  • Golf Majors - the PGA Championship went ahead this month already and the British Open has been cancelled for this year, but we still have two rescheduled events to look forward to - the US Open Sept 17-20 and the Masters Nov 12-15

once_upon

Voter
I dont seem to be able to do tiny.url and have a working link.

A Penn State doctor reported that a third of student athletes in the Big 10 who had C-19 have heart inflammation (diagnosed by heart MRI).

Of course we should just let them play football.

MsZem

Last edited:

Miezekatze

I just saw ITU World triathlon event on tv here (it's in Hamburg at the moment).

Typically enough all the athletes really followed all the ********* rules, like not hugging and keeping a distance in the winning area and even wearing masks while interviewed, while the German football players always ignore everything without it having consequences :p:rolleyes: (the big money sports should be role models IMO).

MacMadame

Staying at home
ITU and USA Triathlon (US's NGB) are pretty well run IME. They seem to be taking both SafeSport and transition after retirement seriously, for example. It's hard to know without being a Pro myself but I get lots of newsletters and email from them and these things are talked about often.

However, the transition from being a Pro is easier than in a lot of spots because you can move into the Age Grouper ranks. You don't get paid for winning anymore, but a lot of triathlon pros don't make a lot of money from triathlon anyway. So they have less money and fewer sponsors but still have races and goals. It's a gentler transition.

missing

The top women's doubles team at the US Open was forced to withdraw due to one player's possible exposure.

"Public health officials of Nassau County, N.Y., have issued quarantine notices for all individuals who had prolonged close contact to a person who previously tested positive for the *********-19 ********," the USTA said in a statement released a few hours after the doubles pair were removed from the tournament. "As the players are staying in Nassau County, the quarantine notices prevent any of these individuals from commuting to the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in New York City."

missing

The TCU/SMU football game, scheduled for Sept. 11, has been postponed due to some TCU players and staff testing positive.

The game against Southern Methodist University, scheduled for Sept. 11, was canceled Friday after some TCU football athletes and support staff tested positive for the *****, said Jeremiah Donati, TCU’s director of intercollegiate athletics, in a statement. Donati did not indicate how many athletes or staff tested positive but said “no one is currently facing serious health issues.”

“In the course of following CDC guidelines and our aggressive testing and contact tracing strategy, we discovered that some student-athletes and support staff in our football program have tested positive for *********-19,” Donati said. “Those individuals were notified immediately and are currently abiding by CDC protocols.”

once_upon

Voter
one high school football team senior and junior variety team here is quarantined for two weeks. Which affects at least 4 games.

NFL starts on Thursday - given less practice an no preseason games i hope there aren't a bunch of injuries like what happens in preseason games.

missing

The French Open intends to allow a limited number of fans in the stands.

Roland Garros will be divided into three zones based on the three main courts, with 5,000 people each for the Philippe Chatrier and Suzanne Lenglen courts. The zone surrounding the third biggest court will host a maximum of 1,500 spectators a day.

Wearing a mask on site will be mandatory, while all accredited people at the tournament will have to pass ***** tests to be admitted in the Roland Garros bubble.

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
They had their first rest day in the Tour de France yesterday which they used for comprehensive testing. They had previously said any team with two positives among either the riders or the staff would be sent home (although they later suggested it was 2 positives within 7 days). The most notable positive test was actually the race director, who went home to quarantine for 7 days. 4 teams each had one staff member test positive (and those staff obviously quarantined), but none of the riders tested positive which is good especially when you consider how they spend hours riding right next to one another in the peloton (and how close fans on the mountain stages get to the riders). A total of 5 positives from over 840 tests.

However, one of the teams with a positive among the staff was the team of the defending champion so I'm sure the teams are still on high alert.

Last edited:

missing

The first NFL football game is tonight and there can be a maximum of 16,000 people in the stands.

Arrowhead Stadium has added enhanced cleaning and sanitization methods, staff health screenings with temperature checks, modification of high traffic areas to allow for social distancing and limited contactless concession options.

If fans wish to tailgate prior to the game, they are encouraged to wear masks and maintain social distancing and tailgate with their ticketed party or “pod.”

missing

13 members of the Boston College swim and dive team have tested positive.

The Boston College women’s and men’s swimming and diving team has suspended its practices after at least 13 members tested positive for ********.

“We can confirm that members of our swimming and diving team have tested positive for *********-19,” Jason Baum, the college’s senior associate athletics director for communications, told The Boston Globe, which reported the outbreak Thursday. “We have temporarily paused all team activities with the swimming and diving program. The student-athletes who tested positive are in isolation in accordance with university *********-19 protocols.”

Last edited:

once_upon

Voter
The first NFL football game is tonight and there can be a maximum of 16,000 people in the stands.

Arrowhead Stadium has added enhanced cleaning and sanitization methods, staff health screenings with temperature checks, modification of high traffic areas to allow for social distancing and limited contactless concession options.

If fans wish to tailgate prior to the game, they are encouraged to wear masks and maintain social distancing and tailgate with their ticketed party or “pod.”
We tailgated at a Chiefs game last year. It was my first and only experience with tailgating as a participant. I do not see how wearing masks or staying in your pods will work. I will guarantee you that tailgating started at 10 am. With lots of beer. And grills and food.

By the time they open the stadium doors - i imagine around 4:30 or 5 for the 7 pm kick off, there will be plenty of inebriated fans.

Last year, I saw security staff have a lineup of Uber/Lyft transportation and also took several too inebriated to be allowed to go home by taxi/Uber into their holding cells to sober up.

missing

Major League Baseball announced that there were no positive test results amongst the players and then had to postpone two games between the San Francisco Giants and the San Diego Padres because a Giants staff member had tested positive.

This is the second series postponement between two teams in what is in effect the western division of baseball. The first postponements were of eastern division teams. The second set of postponements were central division teams and now western division teams have been affected as well.

Both the Padres and the Giants are fighting for post season positions, which adds to the rescheduling complexities.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode

I'm sorry, sixteen thousand?!

And tailgating allowed?!

:duh:

For context, despite our state having had no cases for literal months, my Rugby League team only just got permission to have six thousand next weekend at the game (in a stadium that holds 28,000), and that permission is very conditional on nearby case numbers. We've spent the better part of the season since the resumption humming along at 1500.

In addition to that, entry rules are very strict. No outside food beyond one small plastic baggie, which can have things like chips or a sandwich in it, and one sealed 600ml bottle of water. If you buy food you have to take it back to your seat before eating. You must sit in your seat and nowhere else. No bags. One (1) blanket permitted but you must be prepared to hold it up for security by one corner. Anything else must be worn or in pockets. When the game is over, you leave immediately.

once_upon

Voter
I'm sorry, sixteen thousand?!

And tailgating allowed?!

:duh:

For context, despite our state having had no cases for literal months, my Rugby League team only just got permission to have six thousand next weekend at the game (in a stadium that holds 28,000), and that permission is very conditional on nearby case numbers. We've spent the better part of the season since the resumption humming along at 1500.

In addition to that, entry rules are very strict. No outside food beyond one small plastic baggie, which can have things like chips or a sandwich in it, and one sealed 600ml bottle of water. If you buy food you have to take it back to your seat before eating. You must sit in your seat and nowhere else. No bags. One (1) blanket permitted but you must be prepared to hold it up for security by one corner. Anything else must be worn or in pockets. When the game is over, you leave immediately.
Sixteen thousand is 22% capacity (normally 77,000 or 80,000 arena). They looked fairly well spread out. Views of the fans - i only saw one guy drinking beer, which is not the norm having been to a Chiefs game.

MacMadame

Staying at home
For context, despite our state having had no cases for literal months, my Rugby League team only just got permission to have six thousand next weekend at the game (in a stadium that holds 28,000), and that permission is very conditional on nearby case numbers.
6000/28000 = 21% capacity
Sixteen thousand is 22% capacity (normally 77,000 or 80,000 arena).
OMG, you have an extra 1% capacity. What were people thinking?! :drama:

Seriously, C19 numbers always need context.

MsZem

I don't know why MLB doesn't allow a limited number of fans for each game. Those stadiums are big enough to allow for a few thousand people in the stands and still maintain ample distancing.

Miezekatze

The Eastern German football clubs are starting with spectators this weekend, one club allows 7500 spectators and another 4600 (because their infection numbers are really good). This has the southern German prime ministers complaining a lot, because audience is not allowed down here yet and they think it's unfair if there is no nation-wide coordinated start with the same rules for all clubs.

Then the prime minister of one of the Northern German states said she doesn't get the bickering, if the infection rates in southern Germany were as good, the prime ministers there would have allowed audience too.

It's a bit kindergarden-esque bickering :lol:

(I do sort of agree that it will skew the atmosphere in the stadiums if a Northern German club can play in front of 7500 spectators and Bavaria Munich in front of 0, but I think all sports are sort of screwed a bit in terms of "fairness" everywhere in the world in one way or the other. The fairness is also ruined every time one club has to stop training due to a positive case or some regional restrictions.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information