Sports Reports

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Since not everyone here is interested in non-figure skating sports and since sports are a CV19 hot spot, I thought I'd start a thread limited to it.

Tonight's St. Louis Cardinals/Chicago Cubs game has been postponed because another Cardinals player has tested positive.

In total, eight Cardinals players have tested positive for the ******** since last week.

MLB said the postponed game would allow for additional testing and contact tracing. A source told ESPN's Jesse Rogers that the remainder of the three-game series also was in jeopardy.

The Cardinals have not played since July 29 because of positive ******** tests. The team previously announced that it had returned 13 positive tests from its traveling party, with seven of them coming from players.

66 NFL football players opt out of the upcoming season because of CV19 concerns.

A total of 66 players have opted out of the 2020 NFL season due to the ******** *********, nearly half of them linemen.

Twenty offensive linemen and 11 on defense opted out before Thursday’s deadline. Players with a medical opt out will receive a $350,000 stipend, while those voluntarily opting out receive $150,000 as an advance against future salaries.

Defending champion Rafael Nadal decides against competing at the U.S. Open because of CV19 concerns.

"After many thoughts I have decided not to play this year’s US Open. The situation is very complicated worldwide, the *********-19 cases are increasing, it looks like we still don’t have control of it," Nadal tweeted in both Spanish and English.

"This is a decision I never wanted to take but I have decided to follow my heart this time and for the time being I rather not travel," wrote Nadal, 34.

8 UCLA football players test positive.

The difficulties of college sports carrying on amid *********-19 were made more clear Wednesday with a rush of news.

— At least eight UCLA football players have tested positive for the ********, said Barbara Ferrer, director of L.A. County’s public health department.

missing

The Mid-American Conference has cancelled its fall football schedule.

The MAC reached its decision Saturday morning in a vote by the league’s presidents, sources said. The conference presidents initially met Thursday to finalize the league’s scheduling format. However, Northern Illinois president Lisa Freeman, a former research scientist at the University of Rochester School of Medicine, indicated her school would not play this fall because of the health and safety concerns, sources said...

The MAC was established in 1946. The current membership consists of Akron, Ball State, Bowling Green State, Buffalo, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Kent State, Miami (Ohio), Northern Illinois, Ohio, Toledo and Western Michigan.

MsZem

Since not everyone here is interested in non-figure skating sports and since sports are a CV19 hot spot...
Are they? Or are the positive tests we're seeing simply in line with what's happening in the US? I read somewhere that there are around 3,500 players and personnel who are regularly tested during the baseball season, and while there are a lot of precautions in place, it's not a bubble like the NBA.

So far it appears that players the Marlins and Cardinals players did not infect anyone from another team, and neither of those teams had any contact with the other.

And in the spirit of the times, here's a socially distanced walkoff celebration.

missing

Are they? Or are the positive tests we're seeing simply in line with what's happening in the US? I read somewhere that there are around 3,500 players and personnel who are regularly tested during the baseball season, and while there are a lot of precautions in place, it's not a bubble like the NBA.

So far it appears that players the Marlins and Cardinals players did not infect anyone from another team, and neither of those teams had any contact with the other.

And in the spirit of the times, here's a socially distanced walkoff celebration.

You're right. By "hotspot" I meant focal point and a controversial focal point at that.

Aceon6

Isolating from mean people
If you count all the active sports right now, the positive rate is less than in the general population.

missing

Tonight's Chicago Cubs/St. Louis Cardinals game was postponed a couple of days ago. Tomorrow's game against the Pittsburgh Pirates has apparently also been postponed and there is no word yet about Tuesday and Wednesday's games.

Many of the Major League teams have played 15 games, 1/4 of the shortened season. Even the Marlins, who had games cancelled because of their own CV19 cases, have played 9 games (and irony what it is, are in first place in their division). But the Cardinals have played a total of 5 games and with tonight's and tomorrow's games cancelled, will fall even further behind simply in number of games played.

The Phillies, with the next fewest games (8) are scheduled for a doubleheader today. After that's done, they'll have played 10 games, twice as many as the beleaguered Cardinals.

missing

Several of the infected St. Louis Cardinals players have required trips to the emergency room.

St. Louis Cardinals manager Mike Shildt said that several members of the club have been admitted to the emergency room after a *********-19 outbreak infected nine players and seven staff members.

"By and large, people are in a pretty good spot," Shildt said Sunday in a radio interview on KMOX/1120 AM. "There are people that have symptoms, and have had a few visits to the ER for some IVs and a little more clarity. Nobody has had to stay. But there are people dealing with – I mean, this is real. And people are experiencing a lot of the symptoms that we hear about, that are associated with this."

missing

The rumor is Big 10 fall football will be cancelled but there won't be an official announcement until Tuesday.

The presidents voted, 12-2, Sunday to end the fall sports in the conference. Michigan and Michigan State — which both has physicians as presidents — voted to end the season, sources said. Only Nebraska and Iowa voted to play, Dan Patrick said on his radio show Monday.

A message to confirm the decision had not yet been returned from the Big Ten office. The Chicago Tribune reported around noon that "a top-level" Big Ten source texted that, "No final decisions have been made," while the Columbus Dispatch reported as of 12:25 p.m. that Ohio State had not yet been ordered to suspend practices.

once_upon

Voter
so Ben Sasse has written letters to the AD and Presidents of all the Big 10 universities saying football should not be canceled. Shouldn't he be passing legislation to assist people suffering from the ********* effects? And he is more concerned about football.

Coach Frost was interviewed and he is saying how detrimental it would be to cancel football. People being interviewed are saying Nebraska can't lose the millions and millions of dollars that Nebraska football brings in. I think they don't understand that if football is played, there will only be 10,000 fans - not the 85,000 fans. The dining/tailgating will be limited. No traveling fans, bands, cheerleaders for the opposing team.

Just like other schools, businesses, theaters, concerts, etc. nothing will be like September 2019.

Finnice

There is an international Athletics competition in Turku, Finland today. Most of the athletes are European, and the stadium is only half sold.
I am going, armed with mask and hand sanitazer, ready to leave if it gets scary. No cheering, I guess.

allezfred

#EpidemiologistsNotEconomists
Staff member
There is an international Athletics competition in Turku, Finland today. Most of the athletes are European, and the stadium is only half sold.
I am going, armed with mask and hand sanitazer, ready to leave if it gets scary. No cheering, I guess.

I might tune in and see if I can spot you. :sekret:

Miezekatze

Have safe fun!

We had German Nationals in athletics on the weekend, but it was still without audience.

An Oldtimer grand prix car racing event had 5000 spectators on the Nürburgring, it was supposed to be a test for the next formula 1 season.

Jenny

From the Bloc
It's funny that there's so little talk of hockey, even here in Canada, maybe because the NHL came up with a playoff plan that so far at least is working beautifully.

Ditto golf. The PGA has been back in semi-full swing (!) for several months now, and just successfully completed the first major championship of the year - all the big names were there - without much discussion, I guess because again, they're doing it right. On a related note, through the tournament they were running PSAs suggesting that in the absence of team sports, the junior PGA program was a great option.

Miezekatze

Yeah, here in Germany you always hear nothing about the sports (and other things) that have resumed in some form successfully and are running smoothly, instead there's only sensationalist news about things that are not happening or discussions about when to get fans into football stadiums or discussions about what should happen when or not.

I'm a bit annoyed by that.

I think outdoor sports without contact are at a big advantage though obviously.

Peaches LaTour

Watching NHL hockey games when we can find them on our cable. Always loved hockey & still do so it is a fun alternative to college football which may be a no-go this season. 😣

Jenny

From the Bloc
I watched a few hockey games and thought the presentation is about as good as it can be without fans. After the first couple, I could hear the in-arena announcer again, and the usual music hits, which while not necessary at this time, have always been part of the overall atmosphere. They also added in crowd sounds, maybe a little silly at first, but once you're into the action it adds to the excitement. The two arenas have been dressed well - so even though empty they look good, with slick coverings over the seats and lots of big graphics to fill the void.

For golf on the weekend, unfortunately it was overcast most of the time and the course was in kinda rough shape so overall kinda gloomy, but it was exciting golf right to the end with lots of big names bringing it, and frankly I didn't miss the crowds. Gives you more opportunity to enjoy the scenery, and you don't have to hear that one jerk who always yells "in the hole!!!" so he can watch it later at home and tell everyone that was him. The downside was the colour interviewer who kept asking the same question about what it's like to play without crowds, when I'd rather hear about the game itself.

I must say I'm quite looking forward to the Masters in November, seeing the storied course in fall for the first time, and without all the idiots distracting from both the scenery and the golf.

missing

The Big Ten Football Conference has cancelled its fall football.

"The mental and physical health and welfare of our student-athletes has been at the center of every decision we have made regarding the ability to proceed forward," said Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren. "As time progressed and after hours of discussion with our Big Ten Task Force for Emerging Infectious Diseases and the Big Ten Sports Medicine Committee, it became abundantly clear that there was too much uncertainty regarding potential medical risks to allow our student-athletes to compete this fall..."

Myocarditis emerged as a significant health concern that largely led to the Big Ten's decision. The condition involves an inflammation of the heart muscle. It can reduce the heart's ability to pump, causing rapid or abnormal heartbeat.

At least 15 Big Ten players have been left with myocarditis after contracting *********-19, according to a high-ranking source within the Big Ten.

The Pac-12 has also declared no fall sports.

Impacted Pac-12 student athletes will continue to have their scholarships guaranteed. The conference is also encouraging the NCAA to grant students who opt out of playing this academic year an additional year of eligibility.

Last edited:

missing

These are the Big Ten Universities:

Big Ten Academic Alliance Member Universities:
  • University of Illinois
  • Indiana University
  • University of Iowa
  • University of Maryland
  • University of Michigan
  • Michigan State University
  • University of Minnesota
  • University of Nebraska-Lincoln
  • Northwestern University
  • Ohio State University
  • Pennsylvania State University
  • Purdue University
  • Rutgers University
  • University of Wisconsin-Madison

Finnice

I think outdoor sports without contact are at a big advantage though obviously.
The outdoor athletics competition felt relatively safe. People kept quite well away from each other, there were hand desinfection bottles everywhere, POF was amon the audience showing himself as a good role model and wearing mask. The athletes were of course near each other during the running competitions. It was safer in the throws and jumps.

And @Miezekatze - Vetter threw 91. 26 in men's javelin.
Still it is hard to see indoors figure skating competitions happening very soon.

Miezekatze

I'm curious when we're going to hear something new from Nebelhorn Trophy.

Bavaria is much stricter with events than the other German states (for example most German states have some forms of "bigger" cultural events back or social distancing outdoor venues for concerts in bigger cities), Munich still has nearly nothing and the upper limits for events are still among the lowest of all Germany.
So it seems a bit unlikely to me, that Nebelhorn in Bavaria can be one of the first international indoor events.

We've chosen another vacation destination in Bavaria now, instead of Oberstdorf, since I guess even if Nebelhorn happened, audience is unlikely and the entries wouldn't be very attractive.

EDIT: I just checked on the Oberstdorf website and it currently says Nebelhorn Trophy will happen without audience, so I guess that's the current plan (of course I'm sure it will still be cancelled if infection numbers get too bad).

Last edited:

missing

Are NFL linemen at greater risk because of higher BMIs? Or are they at lesser risk because they're heavy but muscular?

One month from the start of its regular season, the NFL is grappling with a set of ******** questions unique to the sports landscape. It’s not just a matter of how 32 teams can stay healthy amid a ********* without a “bubble” environment. It’s what could become of a group of players that health officials consider at risk for severe infection...

Across the league, a disproportionate number of linemen chose to opt out of the season altogether. Of the 67 NFL players sitting out 2020 amid the *********, 20 are offensive linemen — including Ravens tackle Andre Smith — and 12 are defensive linemen. Linemen constitute nearly a third of NFL rosters, but they accounted for nearly half of all opt-outs.

missing

Sports teams are volunteering their arenas to be voting centers.

The sheer size of sports venues has helped them emerge as potential voting centers. They would allow for reduced lines, shortened wait times and safe spacing...

Several sports franchises including the Boston Red Sox, Pittsburgh Steelers, Washington Capitals and Golden State Warriors are working with the Election Super Centers Project to offer their venues as as supplemental voting and registration centers.

Susan1

Another Cincinnati Reds player has tested positive. Games with the Pittsburgh Pirates this weekend have been postponed.

Funny, though, when they were showing clips, I saw the cutouts that fans bought to put in the seats.

missing

Mookie Betts is helping out his new home town.

One way is helping his new community. On Sunday, he will partner with Pull Up Neighbor, a nonprofit created to aid disadvantaged communities, to give necessities to people for free in Compton. Hand sanitizers, reusable face masks and food boxes will be handed out. Health screenings will be conducted. The event, which will be staged with support from the Dodgers, also will provide voter registration services.

Boston Bruins goalie opts out of the playoffs.

Boston Bruins goalie Tuukka Rask is leaving the NHL bubble and opting out of the Stanley Cup playoffs, he announced via a statement from the team on Saturday.

"I want to be with my teammates competing, but at this moment there are things more important than hockey in my life, and that's being with my family," Rask said. "I want to thank the Bruins and my teammates for their support and wish them success."

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information