Speed Skating: Bad skate? You can petition for a re-skate

crzesk8dad

Where am I? How do I get off? Do I get ice cream?
In between figure skating programming, I watched the US Speedskating Olympic Trials (theirs are trials) held in Milwaukee. In one event, Womens 500 meter (?) which is a sprint, the favorite, Erin Jackson, suffered a slip causing her to lose a second or two in her time. She came in third place and did not qualify for Beijing 2022.

However, she was able to petition for a re-skate. A committee met shortly thereafter and denied the re-skate. If I understood the article below, she had to fall, not just slip. She stays home.

I found this to be an interesting rule. Would such a thing happen in figure skating? If she wasn't a top contender for the OLYs, would they even have considered such a thing?

Your thoughts...

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I found this to be an interesting rule. Would such a thing happen in figure skating? If she wasn't a top contender for the OLYs, would they even have considered such a thing?

Your thoughts...
It used to happen in a way pre-2001. I think we can basically call it the Abitbol/Bernadis rule. They had several occasions where their program didn't go as planned, they got injured mid-performance, and then were allowed to go off the ice, regroup, and then come back and restart. It happened last at the 2000 Grand Prix Final IIRC. They tried a throw 3A, she landed and whiplashed backwards, and they stopped. They came back later, didn't try it in their second attempt, and skated well enough to get into the gold medal final.

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
Bowe is a stronger contender in the 1000-1500 iirc so good for her to give Jackson the chance.

Btw, is the Olympic Channel airing any international events this season? They did a couple years ago and it definitely helped me know some of the players. But I don’t know if Kodaira for example is still dominating the 500.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Bowe is a stronger contender in the 1000-1500 iirc so good for her to give Jackson the chance.

Btw, is the Olympic Channel airing any international events this season? They did a couple years ago and it definitely helped me know some of the players. But I don’t know if Kodaira for example is still dominating the 500.
I’ve been disappointed since NBCSN shut down. I can’t find minor sports outside of Peacock. I hope it’s just because crews are covering trials and prepping for Beijing and it’ll be back to normal in March.

Rob

Beach Bum

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information