Skate America 2017 Returns to Lake Placid

clairecloutier

Ratings
Interesting choice! I've always wanted to go to Lake Placid.

What are the logistics of staying there, though? Are hotels expensive? Is there a nearby airport?

Also just noticed the dates --November 24-26, 2017. That must mean Skate America will be the last GP next year, instead of the first, as it usually is. Interesting!

personwhoishere

Ratings

What are the logistics of staying there, though? Are hotels expensive? Is there a nearby airport?

Also just noticed the dates --November 24-26, 2017. That must mean Skate America will be the last GP next year, instead of the first, as it usually is. Interesting!
Closest airport is Albany I believe. Hotel prices depend on where you say but there are several that are under/around $100 a night. Generally less than Boston or NYC or other major Northeast cities though.

I went to Lake Placid Skate America in 2009 (and competed there myself several times as a teenager) - it's a truly lovely town :)

jkl

Ratings

I've always flown into Albany and rented a car. Is this the week of Thanksgiving I suppose?

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Ratings
I don't understand how they think putting an international event in a town nowhere near an international airport is a good idea. The drive from Albany took over two hours last time. If they want to go cheap, couldn't they use Colorado Springs? It's so much more convenient to reach.

Lara

It's JJ style!
Ratings
!!! So close, are any other Montrealers interested in going down at least the Saturday? I'd pay my share of gas...

StitchMonkey

Ratings
I don't understand how they think putting an international event in a town nowhere near an international airport is a good idea. The drive from Albany took over two hours last time. If they want to go cheap, couldn't they use Colorado Springs? It's so much more convenient to reach.

I think it is nostalgia... people love Lake Placid and call it magic on a regular basis. It may be in the middle of nowhere, but a lot of people may have actually heard of it over some Midwestern moderately sized city.

I think Colorado Springs is largely avoided for elevation reasons as skaters seek to have issues with it.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Ratings
I think it is nostalgia... people love Lake Placid and call it magic on a regular basis. It may be in the middle of nowhere, but a lot of people may have actually heard of it over some Midwestern moderately sized city.

I think Colorado Springs is largely avoided for elevation reasons as skaters seek to have issues with it.
They need to let the nostalgia go. Besides the location being in the boonies, the arena is just not a good venue.

peibeck

Simply looking
Ratings
Maybe people of a certain age are nostalgic and know where Lake Placid is, but I don't think that's true of everyone. Aside from which, it is a horrible PITA to get there. I guess the USFSA's idea was it is over a holiday so maybe people will be off already and more people would attend? However, it is the most expensive and crowded week of the year for air travel. It didn't seem to be well attended the last time SKAM was in Lake Placid (though not as embarrassing as Ontario, CA). It just seems like if they were going to get that week a venue in a more populated town and with a major airport would have made more sense.

On the up side, there are quite a few hotels within a short distance of the venue.

Rob

Beach Bum
Ratings
Woot woot! I love Lake Placid and this is actually a weekend I get off! I can't make it to Chicago this year due to work so I am thilled at this!

maatTheViking

Danish Ice Dance! Go Laurence & Nikolaj!
Ratings
Looks like I will end my streak of going to SKAM - I don't mind Lake Placid, but if I subject myself to Thanksgiving travel, it will be with my family. And we usually either have visitors or go somewhere, and I don't think I can justify leaving the kids over Thanksgiving!

I am sure it might make things easier for some people?

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
Ratings
So is the 2017 GP going to be like the 2010 GP when the order of events were all mixed up? As long as NHK isn't first I don't mind that.

twizzletoes76

Ratings
LP is a difficult place to get to, but it is a cozy/picturesque town once you're there. The skating nostalgia is also real.

To get there, I recommend Adirondack Trailways. They have a bus that goes direct from NYC Port Authority and stops at the Albany airport. Downside is there is only one bus per day so if flying, one would have to plan around that.

Ratings

It has been a few years but the last time I stayed there we rented a townhouse at Spruce Lodge. Great place, very clean and comfortable. Quite close to the rink.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)